Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Head Gasket Gone...

ricomr2

Hi Guys

just warped my head, got it back and they have taken some bits off, the bits are in the box, Im fine apart from 3 black plastic bushes they are about 10 mm in diameter with a 8mm hole through, and have an ledge all around as if it sits in something, and has a white painted mark on the bottom of it they came from the fuel rail I think, could do with finding out tonite or early tomorrow as Im putting it back on then !

any ideas cheers

Jon

Hi FZR400,The items you are on about attatch the fuel rail to the cylinder head,they space it off the right distance for the injectors to fit in between.

Should be a black plastic bush with a metal bush on top?Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

P.S When fitting the injectors back make sure the rubber seals are clean and undamaged as one of mine was not sealing properly (nearly set car on fire until I realised and was a pig to get to and sort out after everything was back on)

You live and learn :P

Hi Guys

just warped my head, got it back and they have taken some bits off, the bits are in the box, Im fine apart from 3 black plastic bushes they are about 10 mm in diameter with a 8mm hole through, and have an ledge all around as if it sits in something, and has a white painted mark on the bottom of it they came from the fuel rail I think, could do with finding out tonite or early tomorrow as Im putting it back on then !

any ideas cheers

Jon

Hi FZR400,The items you are on about attatch the fuel rail to the cylinder head,they space it off the right distance for the injectors to fit in between.

Should be a black plastic bush with a metal bush on top?Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

P.S When fitting the injectors back make sure the rubber seals are clean and undamaged as one of mine was not sealing properly (nearly set car on fire until I realised and was a pig to get to and sort out after everything was back on)

You live and learn :P

Thanks guys for all your help, all seemed clear after I took the fuel rail off again, nearly done now, another half day I hope !

Mates coming down on thursday to have a look at it...

Fingers crossed its not the gasket and just the water pump.

While i'm on the subject...

Does anyone know if the water pump is run off of the timing belt or not??

I couldn't see it... which is why I was confused... I thought it was off the timing belt... hmmmm...

I'll get back to you after sleep! :ph34r:

Rico, The Oil pump in the diagram is the water pump I think. The Oil pump is ran directly from the crank.

Note. Water pumps are a complete sod to seal. Remove all your spark plug to make sure none of the have fluid on the contacts, shine a torch dow the plug hole to make sure piston heads are dry. Then remove the oil cap and dipstick, if there is a milky, emusified look to the oil then the head gasket is gone. Have you checked radiator and all coolant hoses for leaks splits.

Fill up your reservoir tank, start the engine, find out where the steam is coming out. Also check exhaust, is a lot of water coming through that. The gasket may be leaking to the piston crown and not the oil gallery, then the only way out is through the exhaust ports, but then acceleration would be ruddy rough.

My guess is that there is a hole in the rad or connecting hose, hence why you see steam. If you do the job yourself, mak sure the coolant system is totally free of air bubbles. jackup the side of the car the bleed valve on the rad is situated at, start the engine, open valve until steady stream of water produced.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info mate.

My mate is going to be doing the work for me so i'll let him read your post and see what he thinks :thumbsup:

nope no no,

the water pump is run off the cam belt, see the diagram, still on the block you can see another pully at the front on the engine, 3rd one up, has a flange on the front of it, this is the water pump pully.

Not normally removed with the cambelt, but to remove it you do need to remove the cambelt totally, bottom pully and all. Pain in the ***** job, can be done easily enough but expect cut knuckles. When i did it my biggest problem was removing the crankshaft pully, stuck like a *****, had to weld a 5ft bar to it in the end.

my 1st bet on the leak is one of two 3 inch hoses that run underneath your inlet manifold.

2nd where the oil cooler pipework pushes (yes it only pushes) in to the water pump casing.

3rd Crack in block at the front of the engine on cylinder no 1 next to the water pump.... thats what killed my rev2 n/a

Yeah, that's right Steve, regarding the water pump.

Not sure what you meant about the removing the crankshaft pulley? If you're talking about the bolt that holds the bottom pulleys on, then that can be a nightmare to remove. An impact gun will free it off in seconds though... :thumbsup:

Cheers for the help guys...

My mate is coming to have a look at it tomorrow,

i'll let you know the outcome

All fixed!!!

Major amount of air in the sytem for some reason so their was no water getting to the radiator.

My mate bled it for ages and its fine now

Possibly a pin hole in the rad though so need to keep an eye on it

Cheers to the peeps who gave all the helpfull info. :thumbsup:

Lol.. You too mate.

Its still not quite right though, Didnt heat up today so still might be air in the system .

Wont get a chance to look at it till monday now cos i'm working all day tomo.

Nothing in it at the moment exept water,

waiting to see if the gasket has gone before i spend £40 on anti freeze.

I know its not very clever,

but the car hasnt been driven for nearly a week due to the cold weather here so its not doing any damage.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links