Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Problems

mucker

I have a 92 Corolla GLi Executive, K reg newer shape. I have recently noticed that the engine races when I put my foot down, but the car does not respond in the same manner. It does stutter in the same way as when wet wheel spin occurs!

Knowing very little about this sort of thing, is this a sign that the clutch is wearing out? FYI, the car has done 105000 miles.

I have also been assured by the previous owner (a colleague) that the clutch was replaced just before I bought it, some 25000 miles ago. Although I don't necessarily take his word for it, what's the life expectancy of a clutch?

Thanks in advance.

//Mucker

I`ve known clutches burnt out in as little as 5k miles but on the other hand last over 60k. It all comes down to driving styles. But i would think a good average is around 40k.

Your problem could be the adjustment needs doing or possibly oil contamination on the clutch plate.

Pop it along to your local kwik fit or friendly mechanic and see what they say, (Kwik fit `ll prob try and flog you a clutch though) :thumbsup:

The second hand buyers guides for older Corollas recommends a clutch lasts for 100,000miles on standard models and 80,000 miles on performance models (GT/GTi etc.).

However a clutches life really is dependant on the driver. My GTi has done more than 80,000 on its original clutch ...so far!

The fact you think your cars clutch is going at 105,000 miles makes me think it's the original clutch you have there.

You state the previous owner 'claims' to have fitted a 'new' clutch, was it a so-called reconditioned clutch (which is a waste of time/money) if so then this is about the life expectancy of them (I have heard of them going at 10,000 miles).

However if this is the case don't be too eager to 'thump' the previous owner if you ever see him again because near where I live a 'clutch fit' repair centre has been 'done' for fitting reconditioned clutches yet charging customers for new ones!

Thanks for the replies.

I took the car to a local garage and they say it's just starting to go. Quoted me £300 for a new one (it's the 4AFE so more gubbins have to be removed before they can get to the clutch). Does this sound about right?

I'll keep you posted if I get anywhere cheaper!

//Mucker

£ 300 sounds dear to me , but then i'm up north where everything is cheaper.ask the garage to show you the time and motion price guide book. if they dont they pulling the wool .

maleborn1967:

I agree this sounds a little dear to me (unless it's a main dealer).

ask the garage to show you the time and motion price guide book.

I've just had a look at the official recomended repair times (don't ask where!) it's 4 hours labour, so this plus (hopefully) a quality clutch might be about right price.

Up north myself, nr. Chester! Will get a few more quotes but can't see it dropping by much.

BTW, Toyota quoted £500. As if......

so 4 hours at £ 20 to £ 25 an hour = at least £ 100 , so how much is a clutch ??

so 4 hours at £ 20 to £ 25 an hour = at least £ 100

Thats good rates, round were I live near Telford in shropshire most of the non-franchise garages/independant garages are charging £32 - £45 and hour and it's not as if they have good reputations. Proof of bad workmanship at garages in Telford (independant and Main Dealer) is the fact that this area was near the top of a list in a recent 'Which' magazine survey.

toyota charge 50 to 60 an hour i'd sooner pay them than pay a back street butcher 45 an hour. :thumbsup:

The original clutch in my '93 1.8 saloon lasted 146,000 miles (my aunt was the original keeper, I rode home from the dealer in it the day she bought it). I had it replaced a little under a month ago for US$300 (approx. £160) labour and US$55 (approx. £30) for the clutch kit itself. I had it done at a local garage, and the labour also included replacing the clutch fluid and a newly resurfaced (exchange) flywheel. The shop owner (who did the work) says it took 3½ hours from start to finish.

It also sounds like one (or more) of the engine mounts may be ready to give out... I have at least one faulty mount which didn't show up until after the clutch was replaced.

Thanks for your reply.

I've since found out (from a proper mechanic!!!) that the clutch is OK. He managed to stall it in gear, and test drove the car a short while. Reported that the clutch is not at fault and was puzzled by my apparent 'slippage' / lapse in power.

Out of interest, what are the exact symptoms of a failing engine mount? I've never heard of these manifesting themselves as clutch problems.

Any info is appreciated!

Thanks for your reply.

I've since found out (from a proper mechanic!!!) that the clutch is OK. He managed to stall it in gear, and test drove the car a short while. Reported that the clutch is not at fault and was puzzled by my apparent 'slippage' / lapse in power.

Out of interest, what are the exact symptoms of a failing engine mount? I've never heard of these manifesting themselves as clutch problems.

Any info is appreciated!

Try something like the fuel filter or a fuel system cleaner. Maybe fuel isn't always

getting to the cylinders efficiently and makes it feel like the car is slipping.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links