Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ack Squeeling Is Really Bad Last Two Days

BLOODUK

It did used to squeel first time in the mornings and because of it had all the belts changed, but Started again yesterday started up the car... it idled and it squeeled really loudly i revved the accelerator and it stopped. I then reversed out of my drive way and it squeeled again and stopped. It then squeeled later on when i got out of my friends house and pulled slowly out of a parking area!

It never does it when driving , but on idling you can hear a very slight rotational squeel or squeek coming from the rear right hand side near towards the wheel.

Today it was even worse , every point in time i was either idling or started to reverse or slowly pull away a 5sec mad squeel!!

All belts have been changed and tightened professionaly, this did also happen a few years ago when the car was with my mum yet apparantly a friend sprayed 10wd40 on the belt and the squeeling never came back till now, my dad says no chance you dont spray a lubricating fluid on a belt but i remember 100% this was the case and did sort it

alternator belt, discussed a million times before, precisely 2 minute job to tighten it. Rain = it squeeks unless 100% perfectly adjusted. (just tighten it a few turns on the adjuster nut and that'll sort it).

p.s. your dads right, oiling belts is a very dull thing to do.

i recall someone in toc recommending using wd 40 on a squeeling belt , also placing a bar of soap on it whilst it spins was also an option ??????????? :eek:

i recall someone in toc recommending using wd 40 on a squeeling belt , also  placing a bar of soap on it whilst it spins was also an option ??????????? :eek:

:blink::blink:

Mine sometimes makes a noise...would say it was a screeching noise...more a ticking noise...not like a tappety noise...its coming from the belt...deffo...might have a look at tightening it myself... ;)

Also am I right in thinking that the faster u go the faster the belt turns?

Yes, the belt speed is proportional to engine speed. It only slips (squeals), at low speeds because that's when the biggest load is presented to it, unless it's very loose.

Worn out idler pulley bearings or alternator bearings can also make a similar sound (usually quieter unless they are really bad), but a slipping belt is usually easily identified by a 'chirp' sort of sound. Slipping belt squeals usually only occur when the car is first started up (caused by damp on the belt etc), but a bearing will keep on making a noise even when the car is warmed up.

but a bearing will keep on making a noise even when the car is warmed up.

Hmmm id say its a bearing, is it alternator bearing?

Yeah I would describe the noise as a chirp/ticking noise...its not loud at all but I noticed the difference after my alternator and belt were replaced...gonna get it tightened a bit see if it stops it...

Yeah I would describe the noise as a chirp/ticking noise...its not loud at all but I noticed the difference after my alternator and belt were replaced...gonna get it tightened a bit see if it stops it...

Check the air con pump tensioner pully also. The bearing in this breaks down after time because it's exposed to a great deal of heat and it starts off as a quiet whine and gets louder and louder until it craps itself and shreds your belt. I just had mine replaced. Sounds great again now. :thumbsup:

No its not the air con belt as I dont have it...UK NA T-Bar...an the sound doesnt get louder...it stays the same level...most people would say im picky as u cant hear it unless u have the drivers window down radio off and travelling slowly...any faster and the engine noise drowns it out...its prob just the alternator belt needs slightly tightening...as it started after the belt was changed...

No its not the air con belt as I dont have it...UK NA T-Bar...an the sound doesnt get louder...it stays the same level...most people would say im picky as u cant hear it unless u have the drivers window down radio off and travelling slowly...any faster and the engine noise drowns it out...its prob just the alternator belt needs slightly tightening...as it started after the belt was changed...

Yep same as above i think we have the same problem BlueMR2, does the sound when its squeeling like mad usually idling first time in the morning or first started sound like someone using finger nails down a blackboard?

No mine never screeches etc or does a loud noise...the belt isnt slipping...as I said most wouldnot even notice it...when I ask my mates to listen to it they cant hear it...its only coz I have driven the car b4 the belt was changed that I can hear the slight difference...

its nothing major...prob just needs a half turn tightening...

Just thought id let you know its getting worse , yesterday it was squeeling every so often and when i parked the car you could hear this thing sound like rotating like this chhhaachink chaaachink chaaachink chaachink chaachink. It took about 1hrs worth of driving before the sound stopped and no more squeeling, it only used to do it in the mornings but its doing it more often now and the chaachink sound is very loud on idle.

Update - Mine is down to my exhaust as its slightly blowing...only a little bit though...this will be sorted soon when I get my replacement exhaust from Rico...sorry about the wait gonna send cheque asap...had a few family issues and been sorted the brakes out on mine...

My dad tightened it from the top and it helped a little, but next day squeeling like mad it then stops but you can hear a horrible chuuchink chuuchink chuuchink sound coming from the rear bottom end of the engine , if you put your ear towards and behind the rear right wheel this is where it sounds the loudest. It then does a few mad squeels again only when reversing or pulling a way from stop , but NEVER does it when doing normal driving but YOU CAN hear the chuuchink chuuchink sound.

All belts have been changed and my dad tighetend from the top, before AND after change of belts after say about 2hrs worth of driving squeeling and chuuchink sound its gone but back after the next park and drive its back again.

1. Does anybody have diagrams on the net of the alternator belt or the lower pullies?

2. Has my dad tightened the right one?

This does worry me as the chuuchink sound is getting louder and more frequent

you can access the two bolts at the rear drivers side of the engine .. you need to loosten the retaining bolt, then give the adjusting bold a few turns and then re-tighten the retainer.

Loads of previous posts about this ..

Just a thought how about a sticky on what to do with a diagram saves searching

plus Many of the threads ive searched doesnt discribe what i have the problem with

ie not the same sounds

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links