Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stutter Stutter Putt Putt Putt..

Mister2

hi guys. i dont know why, but for some reason when im under full throttle, my car stutters sometimes. im not hitting redline, because it can stutter in the beginning of the power band or towards the end. its kind of like im hitting boost cut, but i got rid of all those stuff a long time ago. it happens under low or hi boost. and sometimes it just picks a gear it wants to stuter in. could it be a leaky hose? vaccuum is still ok and it idles like a champ. it doesnt do it when i drive normally. any ideas? :unsure:

check plugs, leads and especially dizzy cap and rotor. All symptoms you describe are usually caused by worn/faulty ignition components

i was thinking it was this too. it seems like it was misfiring. but im not sure. what is also weird is that in low boost, it goes way past what is set. for example, it is set at 11psi. its suppose to cut if it goes over 12psi. but i got recordings of up to 17psi. this for sure is a faulty hose. btw, im going to be getting some ngk plugs and msd wires pretty soon. hopefully this will stop the misfiring.

i had something similar to this, it got gradually worse and worse, and now i cant accelarate at all as when the boost tries to kick in it just doesnt wanna know, i changed the plugs and leads last week, and it was a bit better, but not for long, so then it went on a rr for a check and they said it was the AFM that was knackered.

interesting.. im going to go check if my afm is plugged in correctly. it started happening after it rained hard. i wasnt driving it. it was stuck outside. after that i didnt drive it either for the fear of sucking water through my soaked intake so i let it dry and i used my parents' car. but surely the sputtering has to do with the ignition components. and i think its the size i gapped my plugs too. since its colder, the air is denser, so the air/fuel mixture is probably denser too. i dont think im getting a strong enough spark.

Maybe some water got in the ignition system somewhere and it's still damp. Pull the plug leads off and see if it's dry down the spark plug 'holes'.

It could be just your plugs have too wide a gap for the rest of the ignition sytem to cope with. Try closing them down a bit. As others have said, make sure your dizzy cap and rotor arm are in good condition.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links