Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Forged Pistons Fitting?

veilside_mr2

im thinkin of gettin forged pistons to make the most of my turbo, the cost of the pistons and rings themselves arnt too bad, but its the cost of gettin sum1 to fit them which is worrying me...any1 had this done or know how much im roughly looking at?

to fit? they'll charge you per hour, like usual.

They'll probably take the engine out, as it makes it easier to work on.

Your best phoning a garage really for a quote.

I'd do it myself personally, but that's only cause i've got motor mechanics as friends. :P

Oh and it would be worth getting the head skimmed and ports polished/flown at the same time :thumbsup:

why would you want to take the head off to fit pistons?????

how else would you take them out?

er drop the bottom leaving everything else in place, then you simply replace the big end bearings while your at it and hey presto bottom end sorted.

How do people intend on removing pistons from the top, ? magic tool to reach round and push the gudgeon pin out?

Yeah thats pretty much how you do it (not all engine's though).

Anyway who said you have to take the head off? :wacko:

sorry :) you said get the head skimmed... infering that the head needed to come off... :D

why would you want to take the head off to fit pistons?????

how else would you take them out?

er drop the bottom leaving everything else in place, then you simply replace the big end bearings while your at it and hey presto bottom end sorted.

How do people intend on removing pistons from the top, ? magic tool to reach round and push the gudgeon pin out?

How would you compress the piston rings to fit in the bore? :blink:

How would you de-glaze (hone) the cylinder out without leaving all the dross in?

You need the flat surface of the block to seat the piston ring compressor. :thumbsup:

well yeah if your thinking of putting different bore size pistons. then the head will have to come off.

But I thought he was just replacing the standard one's for a forged system

well yeah if your thinking of putting different bore size pistons. then the head will have to come off.

But I thought he was just replacing the standard one's for a forged system

All pistons have to come out the top Stu mate, there's no other way. :thumbsup:

As with stripping all engines, you remove the head, drop the sump, remove the big end cap, push the piston and con rod up the cylinder out the top, remove the gudgeon pin, change the piston.

You will find on nearly all engines the castings below the cylinders will not allow you to remove them this way and as I said earlier you can't compress the piston rings to fit into the bore from underneath.

Never put new rings in old bores (withot de-glazing them), unless you want to burn oil quicker than you can fill it up!

Les

As with stripping all engines, you remove the head, drop the sump, remove the big end cap, push the piston and con rod up the cylinder out the top, remove the gudgeon pin, change the piston.

You will find on nearly all engines the castings below the cylinders will not allow you to remove them this way and as I said earlier you can't compress the piston rings to fit into the bore from underneath.

Never put new rings in old bores (withot de-glazing them), unless you want to burn oil quicker than you can fill it up!

Les

cheers for that :), alway thought that the bottom end could be dropped pistons and all. Guess i was wrong, sure on some engines you can tho, positive i've seen photos somewhere. Anyway, i stand by what i say it is impossible to remove the head and get the pistons out :D, indeed a magic tool would be required.

One thing I forgot to mention Steve.

If you could drop pistons from the bottom you would have to take the crankshaft out, this would mean removing the gearbox-clutch-flywheel, strip down the timing cover, remove the gears etc (ouch!)

Think the head way is less painfull

Les

blooooody hell, think i`ll just fit water injection and not run the boost too high and just leave the internalls alone until they break and i have no choice.

trust me guys ive built a few 3S-GTE's now.1 pistons need to come out of the top they physicaly wont come out of the bottom of the bore.

2 you will need the bore rehoning at the very least to bed in the new rings. any one who fits new pistons and rings into an old bore without reboring/ rehoning. aint worth dealing with as they have no engine building skills.

there is a guy in nottingham (Toyauto centre) who will build you an engine with forged pistons new bearings and overhauled head for around £3500-£4000 (fitted) which if you shop around is a good price.

if your doing it you may as well do it propperly

£4k :blink:

i guess that will never be happening then, if i blow mine up i`ll just buy a whole new engine and turn the boost down lol.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links