Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Xenon Style Headlights And Sidelights

CraigT

Ive been considering getting the xenon style headlight and sidelights for the MR2. These are the blueish tinted bright bulbs.

I was gonna go for just the cheaper sidelight bulbs first to see what they look like.

They seem to be going very cheap on eBay but I dont want to buy pap, and there's a lot of that on eBay :blink:

So, some questions:

1) Is it worth getting the sidelight bulbs?

2) How much should I be expecting to pay for decent ones?

3) Do they really look a lot different?

4) Can I have just the sidelights without doing the headlights too?

5) Any links to a good online retailer to get them from?

Ta much :D

i have xenon lights in my headlights...i dont know how much they cost they were already on there!! yeah they do make a difference it seems to me to light the place up better more of a sharper light if you get what i mean, you can tell when its a bit misty coss you get a a slight bluey tint through the mist,

no i dont have them in sidelights...and i can have sidelights on with out the lights popped up

if u have spare cash its worth it :)

I may check out Halfrauds to get an idea on the kind of prices Im looking at.

Wouldnt mind just doing the sidelight bulbs to begin with.

it would look smart! especaily if you have the diamond side lights!!! post a pic up if you get your sidelights done! might buy some too ;)

This topis just came up on the Rover Coupe forum as one of the lads was asking about them. Just beware of what you really expect from them.

Here is the eBay advert:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...7936579024&rd=1

And here is the reply someone posted. I'll let you decide how you want to interpret. That way I can't be blamed for giving false info :D

It¹s all lies.

They¹re not Xenons. The ad states Œxenon charged HID lamp¹, which is wrong.

They are not Gas discharge lamps, they¹re filament bulbs. HID lamps require

an ignitor unit and control box to get the 20-40kV required to strike the

lamp.

All you're doing here is replacing the standard bulbs with brighter ones.

They may well require more current to run (despite what the ad says). If,

for example, they were 100W bulbs they would be illegal except for off-road

use.

As an aside, by law High Intensity Discharge lighting may only be used on

the road if the headlamp units are fitted with clear polycarbonate lenses,

high pressure headlamp washers and a self levelling mechanism.

HID lamps cost in excess of £400 per side for a very good reason. They are

complex. I've recently had to replace one of my lamp units after a minor

shunt and the headlamp itself costs £350.72 plus VAT, not including the HID

lamp itself, which is another 85 quid.

Nice find Fitz! That pretty much covers the ones sold on eBay then. May still see what sidelights Halfords have on offer though. Cheers for the info.

Nice find Fitz!  That pretty much covers the ones sold on ebay then.  May still see what sidelights Halfords have on offer though.  Cheers for the info.

I personally just upgrade the bulbs to a higher wattage for better vision. I am currently using something like 80W/95W from Halfords instead of the standard 55/60W. Ok, they are illegal for road use on cars built after 1984 but I have never had anyone flash me for appearing to have high beams on and it passes the MOT without notice. I've done it with all my cars. I did think the Halfords 100/130W may just be pushing it a tad though and there may be issues with the wiring and if it is up to the power without burning out and causing an electrical fire.

I use 100W / 80W (I think Halfords sell them). They are noticeably brighter dipped, and a huge improvement on main beam. I've never failed an MOT with them in, so the beam should still be low enough not to dazzle.

Also, remember to keep your headlamps clean, it is easy to overlook them with pop up lights. Especially over winter, I find after just a couple of days they get a salty film over them. It can make a big improvement, just wiping the glass clean.

mtte and tim tb-developments on the mr2oc shop does them mtte are £400 ish tim say he can get them for £300 ish if they are legal is another thing mind.

they are JDM fitment tho so 'should' be setup to work to uk standard. American ones you really need to beware of tho.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links