Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cambelt Gone...again

urotsukidoji_badassdemon

Yup, you read it correctly, my cambelt went for a vacation again this afternoon (Sunday) while driving back home. The yellow engine light came on, revs dropped to 0, so quickly pulled over into bus lane, tried to start her again, to no avail, but this time didn't turn over AS fast as before. RAC man came out, listened, and said 'Yeah, your cambelts gone'. I thought, WTFFFFF. So he un did the 2 bolts at top of cambelt cover, pulled it upp, and lo and behold, only approx. 1/2'' of the belt was left. He said it looks like itmay have been rubbing against something. There were fibres in there too. So, has anyone else had this problem then when they got they're belt done?? I looked at the odometer, and it's got just under 600 miles from when it was last done!!

So, Mr. Bibbings suggests I go to Millway in Andover, cos they know what they are doing!!! Unfortunately, got no way to get car over there yet. :(

Well, the 1st time the belt went, I was doing a steady 85 up the M1, and it was fine. Mine is a 3S-GE engine, so it's a non-interference engine. Phew. Just stick another belt on it, it'll be ok.

Maybe you've got a partially siezed water pump/oil pump/ idler pulley. I would have thought you would hear it making a noise though. Also, the belt tensioner could be knackered (they have a reputation for leaking when they are reset), or maybe the garage that fitted your belt didn't set the tensioner right.

Go back to the garage where you had the work done before. They can't weasle their way out of this one!

Yo Blood, is same as mine init, 3S-GE and GTe are basically the same engine, so yu are safe. I got the complete kit for it before, belt, tensioner pulley and the idler pulley too. All got changed at the same time. The 1ts guy who did it tho messed it up, putthe timing out big time, so had to get the timing sorted by someone I defo trust. He did it correctly, and I was there with him watching, and the tensioner WAS done properly. Have you seen what has to be done to reset the tensioner? I have. It's not nice!! Ne1 got any vernier pulleys for sale??

Hi,

Sorry to hear about hear about this mate what a :ffs: :censor:, how do you know if you have the non-interference engine?

Cheer Dave

Have you seen what has to be done to reset the tensioner? I have. It's not nice!!

If what ever he did to it can be described as 'its not nice' i'd say he hasn't a clue... normal people pop it in a vice / press to compress it and slot a .75mm allen key through the retaining hole... :blink:

Someone messed up somewhere thats safe to say, my bet is they kinked the belt in the lower cover.

Mine is a 3S-GTE is it a  non-interference engine???

Hi,

Sorry to hear about hear about this mate what a  :ffs:  :censor:, how do you know if you have the non-interference engine?

Cheer Dave

Both the 3S-GE and 3S-GTE are non-interferance, its only the 3S-FE that is an interferance engine...

Hi Steve, yeah, he unbolted the whole tensioner thingy out, what I meant by not being nice was that he has big hands, and it ain't exactly a Ford engine bay in there! He did use a vice to push the piston back in and dropped a very thin allen key in to hold it. <<2nd guy who reset the timing. Thing is tho, when we started the engine up with the cover still off, we could see the belt was moving side to side, was only just noticable, but you could see it, so reckon possibly something i.e. a pulley, may be worn?!?! :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links