Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking To Buy A Mr2....

mattkeeber

I'm new to the forum so go easy on me eh guys! :D

Recently saw a H reg MR2 GTi-16 for sale for £3000 (92,000 miles) and I'm just wondering if this is an average price for one of these to sell at? It's a garage sale so i know they usually bump the price up a little

It looks mint, and comes with full history, so that comforts my mind a little, but how do these cars react to high mileage / moderate daily usage... As i think i do about 300 miles a week, sometimes more. (mostly 50 mile journeys)

I currently have a Honda Prelude 2.2VTEC but thats a bit of a dog (dodgy previous seller :censor: ), I was looking for a 200sx, but then i saw this MR2 and kinda fell in love! lol

Are there any major problems i should be aware of?

I'm new to the forum so go easy on me eh guys!  :D

Recently saw a H reg MR2 GTi-16 for sale for £3000 (92,000 miles) and I'm just wondering if this is an average price for one of these to sell at? It's a garage sale so i know they usually bump the price up a little

That seems high price wise. Id probably pay 2500 if it was mint

It looks mint, and comes with full history, so that comforts my mind a little, but how do these cars react to high mileage / moderate daily usage... As i think i do about 300 miles a week, sometimes more. (mostly 50 mile journeys)

They are pretty good at taking the miles. Remember 92k is below average milage. I wouldn't really worry about that, make sure of the service, check it's using decent oil and has been changed regulary. The service scedule for an oil change is 6k if i remember but most owners drop the oil every 3k.

make sure its had the cambelt changed at the correct times. 60k or every 5 years which ever comes first. It should be using Toyota's own red "Forlife" coolant and this is worth changing every couple of years.

For the 3SGE engine, reccomended spark plugs are NGK platinum, which are expensive at around £60, but only need changing every 60k.

Theres no reason why it cant be used all the time, I do :D

Are there any major problems i should be aware of?

Accident damage; it's worth looking in the front and rear boots at the weld seams to make sure there original and the paint is too. Panel gaps obviously should be even too.

When test driving it listen for knoking in the suspension, this is usually the drop links, quite cheap to get replacements, but can be a pain to take the old ones off...

Binding calipers are also common, so check for any dragging whilst braking and make sure its not pulling from side to side.

Also look for mayo in the oil cap - possible head gasket, oil leaks around the rocker cover.

Syncro's on the gearbox usually go, but this is pretty obvious to find as it will be chrunching when changing gear.

these MR2's are pretty good regarding rust, but make sure the arches are good, check for mud build up behind the arch. if there is mud there, remove it properly and make sure the metals sound and you should be OK :thumbsup:

Oh and if it's a T-Bar it will probably leak :crybaby:

I'd expect to be seeing it up for more like £2000 to £2300ono and then knock him down a bit for that car. I too am looking for a nasp of about the same age and there are plenty in the £2000 to £2300 bracket, but a lot are jap ones so check out the insurance.

If you read through the FAQ's you will see the differences between the MK2 revisions. H plate is middle to end of the rev 1. If you can find a late J plate with the newer wheels then it's a rev 2 (or a modded rev 1). Rev 2's benefit from uprated suspension, bigger wheels (15" over the earlier 14") and bigger brakes.

Just do your research and listen to these guys. I have learnt loads in a very short time and feel much more confident when I make my purchase in Feb.

If you can get along to any meets before you buy, I am sure they will let you have a looksie round the cars and tell you anything you need to know.

Good luck in finding the right 2 :thumbsup:

Hi mate and welcome,

I have just purchased my MR2 and as everyone will say its a car that you will never regret buying.

I recon for the £3K your talking about you can get better than that one. Take a look at the cars for sale in these links:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/

(click on the 2 Mart option and cars for sale)

http://www.mr2dc.com/index.asp

(click on the MR2 Market, cars for sale and add you spec)

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk

(just add your details, some good en’s in there for your money, trade and private)

The £3K your talking about can get you a 93 K plate with 50K on the clock or even a decent tubby 92 poss 93, dont go for the H plate you can do a damn sight better.

Onwards and upwards :D

Hope this lot helps :thumbsup:

Dave

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links