Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Girlie Type Of Question Re Abs

Shunter

I know I'm a bit of a dumb girlie but........how do I tell if my car has ABS??? I sorta assummed it had but now I'm not sure. I have a MK2 Rev1 SW20 NA Import. if that helps.

I know I'm a bit of a dumb girlie but........how do I tell if my car has ABS??? I sorta assummed it had but now I'm not sure.  I have a MK2 Rev1 SW20 NA Import. if that helps.

As someone completely un-mechanically minded I would try the following 2 things......

When you turn on the ignition there should be an ABS light that lights up - this would suggest you have ABS (but not if it works or not) or you can find a nice long empty straight road with nothing behind you - if you stand on the brakes hard you should hear / feel the ABS kick in and the wheels will not lock up. Alternatively if you lock up the wheels and the car doesnt remain under control you havent....... so BE CAREFUL <_<

I am sure you will get some more scientific advise from the guys / gals on here who know what they are talking about but that is my starter for 10!!!!

On a wide, empty, wet road, drive at about 20 mph then stamp on the brakes to get into a skid. If you've got ABS then the brake pedal will pulse under your foot and the car will judder to a halt. If you haven't you'll slide along like Bambi.

Or you could just look at the dash when you turn on the ignition (before starting the engine). If you have ABS there will be a light that says 'ABS'.

Hmmm, not looking good then. lol. ...........no light on the dash. Doh! Thanks for the advice on slamming on the anchors, I might just give it a try although I think I already know whats likely to happen. :P

or you can find a nice long empty straight road with nothing behind you - if you stand on the brakes hard you should hear / feel the ABS kick in and the wheels will not lock up.  Alternatively if you lock up the wheels and the car doesnt remain under control you havent....... so BE CAREFUL  <_<

I woundn't reconmend doing that to anyone let alone a novice! :ffs:

This is the worse weather to do thing like that! you could end up in a ditch or hitting someone!

Remeber saftly first

Tim

Hmmm, not looking good then. lol. ...........no light on the dash. Doh! Thanks for the advice on slamming on the anchors, I might just give it a try although I think I already know whats likely to happen.  :P

It could just be the bulb gone in the ABS light, but that's pretty unlikely.

or you can find a nice long empty straight road with nothing behind you - if you stand on the brakes hard you should hear / feel the ABS kick in and the wheels will not lock up.  Alternatively if you lock up the wheels and the car doesnt remain under control you havent....... so BE CAREFUL  <_<

Tim

I appreciate the need to be carefull but isnt the emergancy stop still part of the driving test, if so surely not that irresponsible ;)

Ed

I appreciate the need to be carefull but isnt the emergancy stop still part of the driving test, if so surely not that irresponsible ;)

Ed

Yes it is but you also have a professonal sitting next to you while you do it!

Tim

Ed

Point fairly made IMO.

Driving instructors do that to complete novices, why not find a similar enviroment that a driving instructor would use, take into account all thats about, and try then?

Yes it is but you also have a professonal ****ting next to you while you do it!

Surely that would be somewhat odd?lol

(also where is the swear filter?lol :lol:)

I woundn't reconmend doing that to anyone let alone a novice!  :ffs:

This is the worse weather to do thing like that! you could end up in a ditch or hitting someone!

Remeber saftly first

Tim

Tim - did you edit that post? didnt see your second line when I replied - dont want to get flamed, i am working abroad at the moment, weather here is a cool 25 degrees and dry........ didnt think about the good old british weather - sorry :fear:

Ed

Remeber saftly first

Tim

That's why we both said "a big empty straight road". :thumbsup:

Everyone should learn to control their car in a slide, especially if they don't have ABS. I agree the public roads are not the best place to practice though!

I thought that to pass the driving test emergency stop, you aren't allowed to lock up?

(also where is the swear filter?lol :lol:)

Opps didn't mean to say that Changed! :ph34r:

Tim - did  you edit that post? didnt see your second line when I replied - dont want to get flamed, i am  working abroad at the moment, weather here is a cool 25 degrees and dry........ didnt think about the good old british weather - sorry  :fear:

Ed

No probs i just don't think it's wise to reconmend that sort of driving to someone! it could be dangerus.

Thats all i'm saying on the rest of the matter now!

Tim

I thought that to pass the driving test emergency stop, you aren't allowed to lock up?

Now that is a good point, should we let people sit their driving test in a car with ABS (or do we - theory test didnt exist 'in my day' ;) ) because if we do the 'emergency stop' is pretty much done for you...... you then go out and spend x hundred quid on your first car and have no experience in actually controlling a car to a stop?

Off topic I know but hey....... this is a friendly forum after all!!

Ed

I don't know the 'rules' of a driving test, but I would have thought that if you get the ABS to kick in, it is tantamount to skidding. The way ABS works, is that it detects a skid, so you must have already locked up before it takes over.

If you don't have ABS it is only the equivalent of 'cadence braking' anyway. But that is a very difficult skill to master. The simple version is to apply the brakes progressively, and when they lock up release them and reapply. It's not too difficult to practice, but when you are about to have a real life crash it takes skill to convince yourself to lift your right foot off the brake.

You only need ABS / cadence braking if you are trying to go steer/change direction while you are sliding. Otherwise, it's easier to just skid to a halt. I believe that ABS actually increases stopping distance, certainly early systems were quite crude.

Hmmm, not looking good then. lol. ...........no light on the dash. Doh! Thanks for the advice on slamming on the anchors, I might just give it a try although I think I already know whats likely to happen.  :P

It could just be the bulb gone in the ABS light, but that's pretty unlikely.

It's actually a common fault for the wheel sensors to break down which in turn shuts down the whole ABS and the dash light go "BLING". Now when you come to the MOT it is a sure failure as the light does not go out. Pulling the fuse doesn't work so, sadly, quite a few people take the bulb out. That way the MOT person doesn't see a bulb come on so is not reminded to check the ABS and passes it.

If the MOT guy is on the ball, he will fail it as the light should come on and then go out. I have seen some people wire the bulb up to the engine light so it does come on and go out. My MOT guy however doesn't turn the engine off unless the man from the ministry is in doing an inspection.

This is of course not saying anyone should take the bulb out as the proper and decent thing to do is go and get the car fixed properly. I am just saying it is more common than some may beleive.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links