Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Mr2 2004 (mk 3 ?)

agni

Greetings from Corfu Greece.

This is a great forum, I have enjoyed reading though the many and varied topics.

For some time I have been looking for a (new) convertible roadster and the latest MR2 certainly favours well in the reviews. Some comment that it is not as aggressive looking as the previous models, but living on a Greek island with NO other MR2s here, I had to order without being able to see a real one. So it was a difficult choice to make. But, I choose a silver MR2 and the car arrived this Sat. I just love it. It was wet driving home and our roads are about as twisty and 'olive strewn' as you can get. Not surprisingly, the back slipped out a couple of time - causing me some alarm. I am gradually getting used to not 'powering' round corners in the wet - we haven't had a sunny day since I got the car!

Anyway my question: is the latest car a Mk3, Mk3.5 or a 2004? Also, has the handling been changed significantly compared to previous (Standard) models? Should it be better?

Thanks

Nathan

PS disappointingly, I now read that Toyota plan to stop making the car. So shame.

You have a mk3 .. and if it's brand new, I think it's a revision 2 (slight face lift with fogs etc).

The Celica and the Mr2 are to be phased out aparently and replaced with a singe car .. I've a feeling the corolla will be the family car, so expect something sporty.

Bibbs, thanks very much. Yes the car is new. It was difficult to get exact details from the Greek dealer - as he hadn't seen one before!

Can anyone comment on the handling, the difference between (factory standard) Mk1, Mk2 and 3s.

Incidentally, my mk3 has already passed the 'Grandad test'! I took him out on Sunday and he (at 80 years old) loved it - complained the ride was too hard though!

Also the tyres are Yoko's - I've already been told to change the rears to goodyears to stop it slidding out. Any advice, as it seems a shame to swap them when they are only a few days old!

Nathan

The Mk1 (wedgy 80's style) was raved about for it's good handling.

The 1600cc engine wasn't grunty enough, but was okay anyhow. Japan got one with an SC.

The Mk2 (more curvey 90's style) was a lot bigger and heavier and lost a lot of the nippy feel about the Mk1. But it is more roomy, and tweakable for big power. Europe only got a 2000cc but the jap's got a turbo. More of a highway racer than country lanes.

The Mk3 (latest) has gone back to the Mk1 roots, light, small engine good drivers car. Seems under powered. But there are SC and Turbo kits for them.

Dunno about the tyres fella. I'd be tempted to bald the current ones first.

I had to order without being able to see a real one.

:eek: wow - that is seriously brave - respect where it is due and enjoy your new car, bring on the dry weather! :thumbsup:

Don't change the rear tyres!! :o Unless you change the fronts as well. This car is exceptionally twitchy, and changing the rear tyres to a different brand could see you in some real trouble on your wet twisty roads. :( Really, don't do it! :D I have changed ALL of mine (I have 17" wheels) to Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s. Very good in the wet. ;)

All your Mk3 Roadster questions can be answered better at the MR2 Roadster Owner's Club:

www.mr2roc.org

The folks on this site are generally Mk2.

The folks on this site are generally Mk2.

Too true but congrats on the car bud!.. enjoy the twisties.. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links