Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Probs?

ian smith

Have a year old Corolla. Just had the first service. Garage report that the head gasket is leaking. Have been underneath with the mechanic and it is possible to see traces of black oil ( not much) on the engine block below the head gasket. Difficult to see if above. Can be one of three things:

1. Surplus oil caused by careless pouring when filling up

2. Leaking rocker cover

3. Leaking head gasket.

The vehicle has only covered 6600 miles so I am very suspicious re the garge diagnosis. Besides which, I am disappointed that major engine work needs doing within 12 months.

Has anyone else come across this please?

I intend to meet a Toyota Field Service Manager if I can to gain a second opinion.

Probably not related but the VVT-i engines in the Avensis and MR2 are proving rather weak and there are lots of them are burning over a litre of oil every 1000 miles from quite a young age.

If it's a year old Corolla then it will still be under the 3 year Manufacturers Warranty, so no worrys about cost, yes?

If it's a year old Corolla then it will still be under the 3 year Manufacturers Warranty, so no worrys about cost, yes?

I agree but I when Toyotas are so 'reliable' how come it needs a major engine job with 6700 on the clock?

To be fair, the garage have been helpful, they have wiped the oil off the block and we will wait and see where the leak is. I just want to be sure it is the head gasket.

Will propbably end up having to have the work done but at least I can amke a point! Thanks for your reply

Have you ever had to top up your oil levels?

If so what grade? (i.e 10W40/15W30/0W50)

I have found in the past the thiner oils have a tendency of dissipating quicker or leaking through seals. But this is mainly on older cars.

If the gasket is actually leaking, it should be a simple replacement done under warranty. Like you say, should be a concern at it's age.

Has it's service schedule been adhered to so far?

Has the garage that's been servicing it been doing all that neccessary for each of it's services?

How is the car driven?

Is it alowed to get completely warm before hitting motorways etc...?

• 2 weeks later...

Oil can also leak from the automatic timing chain tensioner which bolts onto the side of the cylinder head.

When it leaks it spreads along the joint of the cylinder head which can cause difficulty in identifying the source of the oil leak.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links