Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Red Light...

Missy

Just a quick question,

How far can you drive with the red petrol warning light on, have so far done 16 miles and need to know how far it will go before spluttering and stopping??

Ta.

Just a quick question,

How far can you drive with the red petrol warning light on, have so far done 16 miles and need to know how far it will go before spluttering and stopping?? 

Ta.

Mine does around 25 miles from when the light comes on. :thumbsup:

excellant thanks. :thumbsup:

Also it's surprising how much better the car handles with less fuel in it, think i may just keep topping it up with a £5 for the fun value :P

as soon as the red light comes on I get scared !!! Start looking for a petrol station.

Also.. not sure if the light can still be seen with my new gauges... even more scared now ?!?!

It can vary wildly from car to car. On some cars the light comes on at a quarter full. And there are variations and inaccuracies between senders and guages and car to car.

The only way to know for sure is to run it dry (carry a full gerry can in the boot!).

You could try and work it out from the official capacity minus the amount of fuel you need to fill it back up completely.

as soon as the red light comes on I get scared !!! Start looking for a petrol station.

Also.. not sure if the light can still be seen with my new gauges... even more scared now ?!?!

Can with ours Jim :thumbsup: so you should UNLESS YOU GLUED OVER IT :P

i wouldnt recommend running under a quater of a tank

all the cack thats built up over time settles in the bottom and youll find thats getting sucked up :eek:

must be a turbo thing then, i got 50 country lane miles with my light on, would have stopped earlier but there was no petrol station, was cackin meself and wouldnt like to try it again

approx 9-12 miles left then :rolleyes:

Thats an old wives tale..

It may of been true 20/30 years ago, but with modern cars and petrol, there really is 'no gunk' that settles in the fuel tank.

But, its just common sense not to drive around with a nearly empty tank, oh, and if you do, as someone suggested, drive until it stops, you will damage your engine!

Why's that Fidgits, surely it'll do no more damage than a compression test? The fuel pump and injectors may suffer a little from pumping air but I doubt the internals will suffer at all.

Why's that Fidgits, surely it'll do no more damage than a compression test? The fuel pump and injectors may suffer a little from pumping air but I doubt the internals will suffer at all.

i was meaning more the fuel pump/injectors etc..

But, its just common sense not to drive around with a nearly empty tank, oh, and if you do, as someone suggested, drive until it stops, you will damage your engine!

I doubt it will do any damage as long as you turn the ignition off and don't leave it sitting there with the pump running for ages. The ECU may even shut the pump off anyway.

My Mum managed to fill mine up with diesel :censor: a while ago. I pumped a whole tank of the stuff out using the fuel pump. The only problem was finding something to do with all that diesel. Wasn't too hard to give it away though, we know how tight diesel drivers are! That was 25k miles ago, and it hasn't missed a beat since.

well i topped up after driving for 24 miles with the red light on. Don't think i'll try it again mind you as don't fancy being stuck in a country lane in the dark on my own at this time of year. :blink:

Talking of diesel yeah, has any tried driving WITH some diesel in their tanks? Diluted with petrol or not? Would the diesel harm the engine considerabley? IS diesel higer consistency to petrol? I had a mate a few years back, who with a MK1 Golf Gti, accidently put a tenner of diesel into his car, called out the AA, and the AA guy said it'd be ok drive it, just smoke will come out of the exhaust, but will clean out your engine. True or false??

false, u can put some petrol in a diesel engine, this actually serves as a cleaner, but diesel in a petrol is not good, diesel doesnt burn off the way petrol does, its ignited by compression

false, u can put some petrol in a diesel engine, this actually serves as a cleaner, but diesel in a petrol is not good, diesel doesnt burn off the way petrol does, its ignited by compression

If you only put a small amount of diesel in then as long as you completely fill up witrh petrol then you should be fine as the mix will be low. If you put a fair amount in then it's down a garage and have it cleaned out time.

It's amazing that in my time of working in a petrol station, there were an astoundingly high number of incidents of putting the wrong ptrol in.

You shouldn’t be able to put diesel into a petrol car due to the nozzle on the diesel pump being bigger and not fitting into the hole!

You shouldn’t be able to put diesel into a petrol car due to the nozzle on the diesel pump being bigger and not fitting into the hole!

Yeah, you 'shouldn't' but hey, Chav's shouldn't be able to buy nice cars but they do.

You'd be amazed at some of the dumb ***** things people do at petrol stations. The only reason some people exist is because it's illegal to kill them.

One thing that really stood out was when a lorry pulled in and hit the canopy(which happened quite a bit). I filled out the accident report form and he jumped in the cab to go on his way and he drives forwards hitting the canopy again. I fill out another form, he jumps in the cab again and yet again, drives frowards, wedging the lorry under the canopy and breaking the base support. In the end all I could do was close the forecourt and call the police and fire brigade as the while thing was about to come crashing down. :rolleyes:

He's a some usuless info for you.

A bloke in Northwich (my town) was the first person to convert his car to run on vegetable oil permantly.

I've seen him going round to all the takeaways and McDonalds to collect the oil. I think he get's the oil free too,

but he has to add some additives (pennies aparently) and he should (by law) then inform the Tax man aswell.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links