Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pc/networking Geeks

Rookey

Hey guys, Im pretty standard when it comes to networking pcs, I have built a network in my house sharing 5 pcs with wireless connection to a cable modem.

That is all well and good, but I have recently wanted to play a game against my brother using LAN.

Im not sure how to set up another connection to his pc to do this, i tried yesterday but almost c*cked my pc & internet up!lol

Anyone know how to do this? I have the IP Address, subnet mask, and DNS gateway of the pc i want to get to, but on my PC, using ipconfig, it doesn't show anything, just says all my ip/gateway.subnet mask is "0".

Anyone any ideas?

The 2 pc's I want linked both have an extra NIC so I can run a hard crossover cable between them as opposed to using the wireless NICs. As in the diagram, I want to connect pc's A + B.

Cheers in advance!

diag.jpg

Do you use DHCP on your router (this hands out IP addresses to all the PC's on the network).

If your brother's PC is on a different subnet, then it may be that the router won't pass packets onto a PC that is on a different subnet (unless it is sending them to the WAN port of the router).

Check the IP's on the machines (should all be something like 192.168.1.xxx, ie, the first 3 sets of numbers should be the same), use ipconfig top find this info.

(Before anybody starts, I'm a code monkey, not an engineer!)

I am not too sure what DHCP, I came across it yesterday when going through the help thingy on xp...

I got the ip address, and it is exactly what you say, so surely, if i have the address, and all other info like the DNS gateway and subnet mask, then I can set up a path from my pc to his, just then gotta figure out how his pc will let me in...

right???

Just seen what you are trying to do (I noticed the 2nd link).

1. Make sure the IP addresses on these interfaces are the same subnet (see my last post). If you do an ipconfig on machines A&B then you'll get two sets of IP addresses. PUT THE 2nd LOT OF ADDRESSES ON A DIFFERENT SUBNET TO THE FIRST INTERFACE (ie, try 192.168.20.1 & 192.168.20.2 for A and B intefaces no.2)

2. You'll need a cross-over patch cable. Normal network cable won't work for this. Alternatively use a seperate hub to connect the PC's and use regular network cable.

Oh, and ignore the post above, DHCP isn't running on these interfaces.

Ok cool about the DHCP thing...

I can run ipconfig on both systems, but im gona need a dummy's guide to do it...its all new from here on in!

Cheers!

what model router are you using?

some routers have built in firewalls that block certain types of network traffic.

also what game are you trying to play?

J

Not actually going through a router from PCa to PCb, just an extra card in each one, linked directly with a crossover..

Trying to play a few, mainly axis and allies (quality game)..

Can you ping each PC over the cross-over interface?

Does the Game know which interface to use? (ie can you select which interface from within the game?)

It may be that the game is just using the 1st interface it comes across. Try swapping the network cables around (ie. swap the sockets around for each network cable on each PC).

Is there any reason why you can't just unplug the PC's from the router whilst you play the game?

Do you need a game server for the game? (one of the machines may have to play server, whilst the other plays client for this to work)

We dont need a dedicated server for the game.

I can ping computer B from a but not a from b...

So confusing!

Hopefully Bibbs will be able to sort it out tonight... :yes:

So confusing!

Do you have any firewall software on PC A that may be preventing it from recieving a ping?

:lol: I recon half my time will be spent swearing at XP saying "where is that damn option" .. :P

So confusing!

Do you have any firewall software on PC A that may be preventing it from recieving a ping?

Yeh, there is zonealarm on both...

:lol: I recon half my time will be spent swearing at XP saying "where is that damn option" .. :P

I was doing that all yesterday, finding it too difficult, but I like XP because its all pretty colours n stuff... :lol:

Hey guys, Im pretty standard when it comes to networking pcs, I have built a network in my house sharing 5 pcs with wireless connection to a cable modem.

That is all well and good, but I have recently wanted to play a game against my brother using LAN.

I must be missing something ... why aren't you playing over the wireless network already in place? Surely it isn't too slow?

Cheers

Paul.

No, its a good fast connection, just not sure how to set it up...

Plus, on another note, my wireless connection likes to cut off about once every half hour!lol dodgy d-link stuff!

And wondering where you plug your hair dryer in :lol::lol: "where is the perm button"

No, its a good fast connection, just not sure how to set it up...

As far as the game is concerned (if it's a reasonably recent one) it can't tell the difference between copper or wireless lan. It all looks the same. Just set up a lan game as you would with cable and it will work just fine.

Cheers

Paul.

Are you at home now mate? on the pc you want to network? Ill dial in and sort it before your pc ends up with a blue rinse from haridresser man!!! :lol::lol:

Are you at home now mate? on the pc you want to network? Ill dial in and sort it before your pc ends up with a blue rinse from haridresser man!!!  :lol:  :lol:

Remote access? hmmm sweet, wanna know how to do that!lol

Nah im not at home mate! sorry. :D

why not just get your router serve IP addresses, and make all the client PC's use DHCP?

set the wireless cards to automatically get an IP / DNS.

you should then be able to play easily

I have all this to come, and don;'t have a clue whats going on!!

why not just get your router serve IP addresses, and make all the client PC's use DHCP?

set the wireless cards to automatically get an IP / DNS.

you should then be able to play easily

No idea what you mean!lol :lol:

Remote access? hmmm sweet, wanna know how to do that!lol

Nah im not at home mate! sorry. :D

No probs dude :thumbsup:

Ben will sort it :thumbsup:

!Removed! hope so!lol

I have all this to come, and don;'t have a clue whats going on!!

What you mean charlie?

I'll be gettingag decent laptop soon, and totally upgrading my desktop to the point that I can make another out of the spares... I'll be buying a wireless router so I can join them all together, and don;t have the foggiest ideas at all about networks!

means I can beat the :censor: out of my mrs playing carmageddon2 though :thumbsup:

All answers seem to be regards the router when theres no need....

If not already sorted look in the Network Settings on PCA & PCB and manually add an IP address to both of the hardwired network cards by right clicking on them and chosing properties, theres no need for DHCP/Gateway's etc...

Just set the IP addy's as 10.0.0.1 on one, 10.0.0.2 on the other and the subnets both to 255.255.255.0 and you should then be able to type 'ping 10.0.0.1' from the command line on the .2 machine and vica versa....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links