Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tubbie Bov, How Do They Work?

swales_p

Ok, this mite seem as a stupid question BUT will a BOV on a tubbie produce the same level as noise if the car is drove around slowly - with very little turbo being used?

The reason why im asking this is because my better half :group-cuddles: ha ha, is not happy with me wanting to buy a Turbo XS BOV and oh yes, its the worlds loudest!!! :eek:

So, here's the terms, you wake the neighbours, you park down the road, nooooooo :censor:

If this is the case, im going to get it strategically positioned at the back of the passenger seat and give the missus a right old scare when im changing gear!!!!! :D

Cheers :thumbsup:

as far as im aware, the noise is only created when excess pressure from the turbo is chucked out into the air when you let of the gas pedal...

So if you aint using your turbo.. i.e when pulling into a quiet street.. then you wont have anything to come out of the BOV...

I aint a technical person.. so i think thats about how it work.. :P

Once the engine is working on blowing air in, instead of working on a vacuum the BOV will sound. Even if your not caining it the BOV will sound.

One of the many annoying things with dump to atmos BOVs :yes:

I got a better idea.....dont run a BOV :thumbsup:

Once the engine is working on blowing air in, instead of working on a vacuum the BOV will sound.  Even if your not caining it the BOV will sound.

One of the many annoying things with dump to atmos BOVs  :yes:

I got a better idea.....dont run a BOV  :thumbsup:

...???

Mine doesn't! If I'm driving normally as Fizz says, I get no noise from the BOV, but if I give it a bit of a pasting, it does it's stuff.

Once the engine is working on blowing air in, instead of working on a vacuum the BOV will sound.  Even if your not caining it the BOV will sound.

One of the many annoying things with dump to atmos BOVs  :yes:

I got a better idea.....dont run a BOV  :thumbsup:

...???

Mine doesn't! If I'm driving normally as Fizz says, I get no noise from the BOV, but if I give it a bit of a pasting, it does it's stuff.

If you have got a BOV that dumps to Atmos...no matter how much your caning it, if there is air in the IC pipes from the Turbo to the Throttle body, the BOV will release that air when you change gear.

Its what it does........gets rid of compressed air in the IC pipes to stop the compressor blades hitting the air causing stall.

What BOV have you got and what setting have you got it too....you may have a hard spring in yours.....all depends on what BOV u have got.

I had a HKS BOV on mine and it would dump air even if i wasnt caning it.....so I got rid. You can get Turbo Smart / Greddy Bovs with adjustable spring rates. the harder the setting, the more compressed air you need for the spring to release.....

:thumbsup:

Im looking to purchase one next year as i currently have a apexi induction kit.. and i get this horrible farting sound when driving sometimes when the release of pressure hits the air sucking in fromt he filter.. :unsure::ph34r:

totally correct earl,  bov will only blow when the turbo is being used.......

slam it on fella.

baz

Thats exactly what I said....when the car is running on a Vacuum....ie not using the turbo for its air...... :yes::thumbsup:

...the BOV will release that air when you change gear.

...and that's what it does. When I change gear, it blows off.

Is it me, or am I missing something here. :blink:

You can drive no problem with the BOV barely being audible. If you drive light with the revs and minimise load on the engine the BOV will not whoosh. Even if it does its very very quite m8. Basically if you granny drive your ok. Even if you slooolwy release the gas the whoosh will be long and drawn out...if you stab the gas and release quick itll be a high pressure soundin whoosh ie louder. Youll know what I mean when you get it fitted. By the way Ive heard the Turbo XS BOV on an mr2 it is loud but funnily enough I have the stock BOV venting to air and its even louder. But then again Im sittin on 17psi boost. Higher the boost...louder the whoosh..crank it up! Rice on :yes:

Agree 100% :) Apart from the loudness thing....I have the XS & have run the oem one to compare as well & my XS is louder...on both 13 psi & 17 psi. The trumpet really makes a decent difference I reakon & the fact my xs is aiming out the vent ;)

If I don't want a loud psssshhhh I just change before the turbo full spools up etc etc.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

...the BOV will release that air when you change gear.

...and that's what it does. When I change gear, it blows off.

Is it me, or am I missing something here. :blink:

no......but i think i am in the same boat as you.....

people just cant read my 'termanology' :thumbsup:

the more boost you run the louder it is ..

when on -200mm Hg of boost I get a little whistle.

when on 1 bar boost I get a scream.

the more boost you run the louder it is ..

when on -200mm Hg of boost I get a little whistle.

when on 1 bar boost I get a scream.

What about your BOV? :lol:

It's as most people assem to be saying....the more boost pressure, the louder the noise. If there is a little bit of air in the pipe, it may not sound as there may not be enough pressure to release the valve. The more pressure, the harder your forcing the air out the valve and the louder it sounds.

Simple answer if you wont want to upset the lady....drive round at low revs in the areas of concern. Despite popular belief, it is possible to drive a car below 2k rpm so your turbo wont be spinning up

Depending on what gear your in the BOV will vent at around 3000 RPM driving either fast or slow. So if you don't want it to be heard just drive under that and it won't vent. That was the case on my 200SX anyway.

Ya know thinking about it...the sound wont annoy any1 even if it is loud...its just a whoosh of air...I think what will be even louder is the bleedin xhaust...thats what ye should be concerned aboot...most turbo motors emit a deep bassy especially mr2 tubbies...its a note that drums right thru houses and annoys every1 :wacko: I think your bov is the least of your worries if your concerened about sound pollution :yes:

Ya know thinking about it...the sound wont annoy any1 even if it is loud...its just a whoosh of air...I think what will be even louder is the bleedin xhaust...thats what ye should be concerned aboot...most turbo motors emit a deep bassy especially mr2 tubbies...its a note that drums right thru houses and annoys every1 :wacko: I think your bov is the least of your worries if your concerened about sound pollution  :yes:

My issue is I've got a bassy exhaust, but the SSQV is so high pitched.

How many other tubby owners ALWAYS put the windows down and then rev&dump the engine when going through tunnels .. :lol:

Everybody whos had a tuby and BOV will have done that at one stage. If not do it. Sonds awsome B)

Yep, nothing beats bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....ptshhhhhhhhhhhhh and then pop pop pop pop as the exhaust gurgles away

My issue is I've got a bassy exhaust, but the SSQV is so high pitched.

How many other tubby owners ALWAYS put the windows down and then rev&dump the engine when going through tunnels ..  :lol:

Whats even more fun is when you in a tunnel, full boost, and all you can hear is the External Wastegate Screaming at you and the turbo whilstling just before.........then its the bit pops from the exhaust as you change down gears.......Quality!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links