Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla T Sport

rich-mansfield

Hi All!

I am trying to decide on a new car to buy, I've taken a few different cars for test drives, including the CTS and CTR, and think it will probably be between one of these two.

I found the CTR to be quicker, but I think I will be able to better live with the CTS when I am stuck in traffic in the morning, and stability control could help on the twisty bits too ;).

I was wondering if some of the owners here could help me answer a few questions.

Could anyone who has had a bit more experience with the CTR let me know how it compares day to day with the CTS?

Also, what is the service interval of the corolla, and what does a main dealer service usually cost for the car?

Anything else you think would help my decision would be appreciated, I'm open to suggestions (although I realise this is the owners club :))

Thanks for your input!

No doubt about it the CTR ius a better hot hatch but for day to dat driveability the CTS is a better car!

Can't help with service costs btw!

Hiya

Just to reply to some of things you posted.

Think it realy depends what you are looking for, if you want a fast and good handeling hot hatch you would be better with the CTR, but i think the CTS is more of an all rounder, i hear a lot of people saying it's not a true hot hatch but i find it an enjoyable car to drive.

You will get loads more toys for you ££ with the CTS and it seems a more practical car.

As far as servicing on CTS it's every 10 thousand miles and i had an intermediate service at £120.00 i have paid as much as £ 280 when it needed new pads etc.

i had a quote for a Honda garrage and they seem very reasonable too.

End of the day all down to choice, i would test drive them loads and check specs to see what suits you most.

my first service cost £89 dont know after that as Ive only just done 10k.

As for performance I have driven them both as freind has CTR and he has driven my CTS, we both said that the same, the CTR is slightly quicker in a straight line although we both said its close maybe looking at around .3-.5 seconds diff.

The CTR is faster round the twisty bits as its alot stiffer.

But the CTS is a more driver friendly car with lots more toys, it will out perform most things on the road and will give you lots of pleasure. Insurance is cheaper on CTS as well.

At the end of day if you want a hard core hatch got for the CTR, if you want the performance and comfort and toys and dont mind the compromise for the wee bit more performance CTS is the one.

Its a personnel choice and depends wholly on what you want from a car.

Hi

I understand your dilemma. I agonised between the same cars for some time before finally opting for the CTS. There's no doubt the CTR has a fairly significant performance advantage... but it comes in a very basic package. When I was 21 I wouldn't have thought twice – I'd have had the CTR immediately. In my mid 30s, however, the comforts and safety gizmos of the CTS suddenly seem a lot more attractive – and I went for the CTS.

Had it almost a month now, and I've not regretted the choice. Maybe it's just living in the South East, where you can never get above 40mph anyway, or maybe it's just that I'm now an old git, but a few seconds' calm analysis is enough to convince me that the CTR is a bad buy: certainly where I live the opportunity to open it up and really drive it properly would occur only about three times a year – so in the real world I won't miss that extra performance terribly often. Yet I appreciate the climate control, fully adjustable seats and rain-sensitive windscreen wipers in my CTS every day. So there you go.

Also, what is the service interval of the corolla, and what does a main dealer service usually cost for the car?

Anything else you think would help my decision would be appreciated, I'm open to suggestions (although I realise this is the owners club :))

The first service at 10000 cost about £85 if I remember, and the second at 20000 cost about £145. The only other cost I've had since new was a new pair of front tyres at 12000 miles, and you don't get much change out of £200 for those.

After changing the front tyres I have been more careful to avoid excessive wheelspin starts and the second set are lasting much longer :D In general it's been a pretty reasonable car to run, doesn't drink oil or anything.

Also don't underestimate the value of the VSC. A lot of pro drivers moan about it because it wrecks performance on the track, but you really get the opposite effect on the road. It means you can push in slippery conditions without worrying that the car will break away at the limit. It's all very predictable and great fun without turning you into a liability.

Cheers

Paul.

Rich

Properly I am in the best position to answer your question as I use to own a Corolla T-Sport but after 1 & ½ I decided to change it for a Civic Type-R. Owning both always gives you the advantage of knowing the cars pluses and minuses and I have to agree with the comment that have already been made.

What I have found with the Civic is it doesn’t rely on it power zone as much as the Corolla, when the Toyota is driven out of the “LIFT ZONE” you could be driving a 1.4 T-Sprit until the change over takes place and then its another story. With the Honda on the other hand it always feels fast and eager to go, it does have a slightly higher torque figure and it is apparent when driving both cars yet “LIFT” is much more pronounced than “iVtec” when the changeover does happen.

For me the Corolla was not hardcore enough in it’s handling to make that B road blast entertaining while the Civic with its hard suspension set-up meant you know what’s happening all the time underneath the car. There is no VSC to keep you on the black stuff so you do have to treat the car with far more respect and you always need to take note of the road surfaces especially at this time of year.

Another area were I think the Type-R has the T-Sport licked is the gearbox, I found the Toyota 6 speed very notchy and it was easy to fluff a gear change under full acceleration, this however could be made a lot better by installing the TTE (Toyota Team Europe) quick shift. The Hondas gearbox is silky smooth and more like a flick action to change gear, a lot of journalists say super cars costing twice the price only better the Civic’s gearbox.

But this all this respect lark is not what some drivers want from there cars and rightly so, as if driving is not stressful enough. So what it boils down to is if you want a hardcore weekend car that’s a great laugh and has a good cult following the Civic will suit you down to the grown, but if you driving style is slightly more relaxed and you like loads of toys and don’t want such a hard ride the Corolla is a good alterative.

Nick

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies - I'm even more convinced now that the Corolla is probably the right car for me.

My route to work involves built up, followed by some fun country roads, then I get stuck in traffic the rest of the way - I think the comfort will be more useful in the traffic than a little more speed on the back roads.

Cheers again,

Rich.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links