Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Exhaust Wrap On Intake?

nivek

Is it a good idea to wrap the intake after the intercooler? would this kept the intake temp down?

Also would removing the shield on the engine lid allow too much rain water in causing problems?

You do run the risk during the autumn and winter of letting too much water in to the engine bay. You don't need to worry too much during these seasons about the heat due to the nice cold air outside... and the fact that you won't *cough* be boosting too hard on damp roads.

During the summer you can remove it, but you still run the risk of being caught out by the temporamental English weather... although... I've just noticed you're from NZ!

A popular mod is to fit an extraction fan to the underside of the standard 'liner' to force the air out of the vent. If you go for the dual fan kit, again you are in the realms of water ingress.

With regards to wrapping the pipe after the intercooler, there are two trains of thought with this.

When the engine is first used, the engine bay is nice and cold and the pipe is not affected so much with ambient temperatures. When you start boosting, your ambient temperatures will rise to around 35 degrees whilst on the move... whereas your outlet charge temps on a stock intercooler will be around 55-60 degress celcius + on full boost... therefore, you're actually containing the heat by wrapping it... which is not good.

Whilst off boost, your ambient temperature might be around 25 degrees, and your charge temp around 10 degrees... which is when the 'exhaust' wrap would be beneficial... but to be honest, you are more interested in applying this mod for performance and therefore not so interested in off-boost performance.

I'd say leave it unwrapped... trust me... my cars permanently rigged up with temp sensors at the minute whilst we're testing uprated intercoolers and hard pipes.

:thumbsup:

When I bought my car, both pipes were wrapped, and in the summer it seemed to run a little sluggishly. I removed the wrapping and it was much better. Doesn't seem to have made any difference now it's winter either.

If you want the wrapping, PM me and you can have it. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links