Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lurching After Hard Acceleration

EarL

I fitted a BOV a couple of days ago, and since then, when I accelerate hard and take my foot off the gas, the car sort of lurches forward and then settles again. If I re-connect the recirc BOV it's fine. :blink:

At the mo, I have a Bailey BOV situated in the rubber pipe between the IC and the hard pipe. The normal recirc BOV is still in place, but disconnected.

Any ideas???

Thanks guys.

mmm... dunno mate... never seen a bov connected there on a MR2 tho. Usually connected where the stock is connected. Why not try putting it there and see if it does the same ?

mmm... dunno mate... never seen a bov connected there on a MR2 tho. Usually connected where the stock is connected. Why not try putting it there and see if it does the same ?

Coz it doesn't fit there Jim. It's a kinda universal one, not specific to an MR2.

Try checking all your piping and ignition. Mine use to have the same problem but after tighten all piping and improve ignition. It just seems go away.

Even it is boosting strong at 1.2bar, doesn't mean it has no leak. I learnt that by paying a £60 RR session.

You could be overfuelling now, which would explain when you back off it lurches slightly.

You may need to check the fuel ratio now, and if needed, lean it out a little.

You could be overfuelling now, which would explain when you back off it lurches slightly.

You may need to check the fuel ratio now, and if needed, lean it out a little.

cheers dude :thumbsup: I'll give it a go tonight.

To be honest I can't see that the car would be over fueling because of a BOV. try fitting your dumpvalve to the hard pipe and see if it makes a difference. If already fitted to the hard pipe fit it to the cold pipe. (Hard pipe is the metal or plastic pipe that comes from the intercoller.) :thumbsup:

since yours is a rev1, the ecu is thinking that there is more air than there really is since the afm doesnt account for the lost air that the BOV vents. Therefore the engine runs rich just after you vent, thats why its bogging... If you really wanna keep the BOV then only solution is what Jesus said and get an afr controller to lean the mixture a bit

since yours is a rev1, the ecu is thinking that there is more air than there really is since the afm doesnt account for the lost air that the BOV vents. Therefore the engine runs rich just after you vent, thats why its bogging... If you really wanna keep the BOV then only solution is what Jesus said and get an afr controller to lean the mixture a bit

;) :thumbsup:

curious as to why some cars are fine with BOVs (rev1's) and some aren't. Fair enough I have a unichip, but others without a unichip are running a BOV fine.

weird one.

curious as to why some cars are fine with BOVs (rev1's) and some aren't. Fair enough I have a unichip, but others without a unichip are running a BOV fine.

weird one.

i think the issue is defining between running 'fine' and running 'well' i bet many run fine with bov to atm but how many run 'well' . Fair enough people with aftermarket fuel managment will probably run well, such as your self. :D

PS pickig up a second hand unichip and boost module on sunday :D

weird one.

i think the issue is defining between running 'fine' and running 'well' i bet many run fine with bov to atm but how many run 'well' . Fair enough people with aftermarket fuel managment will probably run well, such as your self. :D

PS pickig up a second hand unichip and boost module on sunday :D

you might be cheaper getting a new one mate. The costs to get it mapped etc plus the costs of getting a second hand one could be quite expensive. A new one plus mapping and installation will only be about £500 ish.

they seem to have gone up mate, everwhere i phoned wanted approx £700 inc boost module, with out the boost module its about £450

I'm getting the unichip and controller for £250

Took the car out for a blast this morning to pick up my son. Gave it a good seeing to on the motorway after backing the boost off a little, and whay-hay! No lurching! It seems to have cured itself! Don't ask me how, but it doesn't do it anymore :thumbsup:

Result :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links