Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Super Mega Crazy Boostage !

Jimlad

Ok... since yesterday my car has gone a little mental. It's boosting well past 1.2bar. (it was hitting 1.2 and happily not going any higher.. for a list of my mods visit the garage).

for some reason now... it's going EVEN higher than 1.2. It actually went all the way upto 1.6 (max for my gauge) and wanted to go even higher!!?? I only let it get there for about 0.5seconds obviously, as I don't want to melt my car.

Anyone got any ideas as to what in the world could be causing this ?? The 1.2 was assumed to be due to the fact that I have an uprated actuator. But I havn't done anything else to the car since I have had that fitted.

It's not as if it's giving some weird false reading ( sorta thing when a clutch slips and the revs shoot up ), as it was still pulling quite happily. It seemed to be instantly there instead of a slight sorta build up ( if that makes sense ). The car just fired forward and a crazy rate. Oh and the clutch isn't slipping in any way whatsoever.

Had a quick look in the engine bay and couldn't see any dodgy looking hoses which had disconnected etc. But if they had anyway, surely it wouldn't cause this. Have the engine fairys visited me overnight and given me a mad turbo and forged internals ??

Anyone got any ideas?? Or will I just go out and buy a boost gauge which goes upto 3bar ???? .... lol. :blink:

It could be a knackered boost guage.

but if not....

Dont let it go that high on a standard lump :eek:

Your boost controller should limit the amount of boost (hence it's name)

What boost controller do you have?

It could just be spiking - perhaphs you need an in line restrictor to limit it..... Do you have an MBC or an electronic one???

M.

Your wastegate could be sticking closed due to the !Removed! build up and all the gunk. Basically your turbo is spooling and the pressure isnt getting released through the wastegate so it keeps spooling.

The spring could be knackered also....get it checked ASAP.

A: Dont want to bklow the turbo

B: Dont want to knacker the piston ringlands

C: As you said, dont want to melt anything!

it's overboosting in any and every gear. The unichip should limit the amount of boost.

What to do ?? Phone Dastek ?? (a bit of a journey if the unichip side of things is fine ).

Jim, it's your new actuator :D

Booked my car in today to have the unichip and boost module done and they said to leave my grainger valve in the glovebox as often on cars that are as old as ours the actuator is past its best and the unichip boost module may 'need some help'. So if Dastek mapped your car with a weak actuator, then you went out and got a new one, and its boosting too hard i'd say thats your answer :D

Content removed by mod as is not relevent to the thread.

:D :D :D I thought u was joking i guess by the mod edit your not ... Jim i didnt know you did :yes:

Booked my car in today to have the unichip and boost module done and they said to leave my grainger valve in the glovebox as often on cars that are as old as ours the actuator is past its best and the unichip boost module may 'need some help'.  So if Dastek mapped your car with a weak actuator, then you went out and got a new one, and its boosting too hard i'd say thats your answer :D

yeah it was mapped etc with the old weak actuator, then the new one was fitted. All was fine etc. It was hitting 1.2bar and not going any higher for a few months, then the other day it started going crazy and went to 1.6 and wanted to go even higher! Obviously I backed off straight away as to avoid any damage to the motor.

Surely the new actuator wouldn't hold 1.2 bar, then all of a sudden decide do go crazy ??

Booked my car in today to have the unichip and boost module done and they said to leave my grainger valve in the glovebox as often on cars that are as old as ours the actuator is past its best and the unichip boost module may 'need some help'.  So if Dastek mapped your car with a weak actuator, then you went out and got a new one, and its boosting too hard i'd say thats your answer :D

yeah it was mapped etc with the old weak actuator, then the new one was fitted. All was fine etc. It was hitting 1.2bar and not going any higher for a few months, then the other day it started going crazy and went to 1.6 and wanted to go even higher! Obviously I backed off straight away as to avoid any damage to the motor.

Surely the new actuator wouldn't hold 1.2 bar, then all of a sudden decide do go crazy ??

Wastegate.....Look above :thumbsup:

Hey jim didnt dastek tell you to come back when you get the new actuator fitted? Its strange tho youd think the fuel cut would activate at such high boost..dastek dont remove the fuel cut..just push up the limit. :huh:

I'm gonna check the wastegate tomorrow.. and all hoses etc around the actuator.

I do persoanlly think its the wastegate sticking closed, but I cant be 100%.

Need to know certain things.

1: Does it do it all the time

2: when it hits 1.6 bar does it drop back down or stay there?

I know the second one is hard to answer as you probably dont want to see what happens :lol:

Just to inform you if you dont know. The wastegate is connected to the actuator by a long rod. If your actuator is an uprated one with a spring set to hold pressure at 1.2 bar.....then the pressured air forces the spring in the actuator to move the rod and open the wastegate. To enable the exhaust gasses to escape and level out boost.

If your wastegate isnt opening, then the boost is going to rocket as the turbine wont be spooling getting rid of the gasses and the compressor will be shoving in more and more air.

:thumbsup:

I checked the wastegate to actuator rod and it has some movement but not much.

How much should it move? i.e distance?

I'm gonna check the wastegate tomorrow.. and all hoses etc around the actuator.

I checked the wastegate to actuator rod and it has some movement but not much.

How much should it move? i.e distance?

:lol: jim said he'd look then rico says he checked, what would u do without him jim?

When he said he'd look, he meant... "i'll get Rico to fix it" :rolleyes:

Rico

You need to take the actuator off. Jim says its an aftermarket one, but I am sure its still a turbo off job. :(

What you need to do is take it off. Place actuator in a clamp to keep it steady. And then pump pressured air though it. If the rod moves at X psi/bar (what ever its set to) then its not the actuator, and most likeley being the wastgate sticking closed. If it doesnt move then there is aproblem.

To check the wastegate you need to take the turbo off with actuator attacthed and plumb X amount of air into it again. If the wastegate opens (you will see this from the turbine side) then its not the wastegate, if it doesnt then there is a problem

Big job fella, and not the nicest, especially a nice bolt under the manifold.......hope this helps fella, and good luck :)

Cheers for the info mate....I understand what your saying but i wont be trying that!! :D

Local garage has suggested doing a vacum test on it so down to Jim to book it in now. :thumbsup:

Cheers for the info mate....I understand what your saying but i wont be trying that!!  :D

Local garage has suggested doing a vacum test on it so down to Jim to book it in now. :thumbsup:

Yep.

Vac test is good. :yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links