Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Too Good To Be True?

yulli

I just found what seems to be a good deal on a 2002 Corolla base sedan. It has 100,000 miles on it and is around $3,000 US.

Not having seen the car, I'm worried that there might be something wrong with it, despite the fact that the ad says it looks and runs "great." I really would like to get this car if it's good and I'm afraid it'll be sold if I don't act soon. With that in mind, I'm asking the following questions:

* How many more miles can I get from the vehicle w/o spending a lot on repairs, assuming I change oil regularly?

* Are there any known issues with the 2002 models that might tip off as to why the price is so low? Seems to me that it is around $3,000 underpriced.

* Might there be any potential problems in the future with this car, just based on the group's collective experience?

* Is there anyone on this forum who owns a 2002 Corolla and has an opinion they'd like to share on it?

* Anything else about Corollas or the 2002 models in particular I should know about?

Thanks in advance for any help. :thumbsup:

Hi!

Wouldn't think its as clear as that. Usually if the car is reasonably fresh and has been driven alot the owners fake the true mileage.

Many cars like the one you are talking about over here in moscow. 3 yrs old, superb price and a high mileage. The buyer says the price is bevause its was a company car and the companys sell the cars cheaply blah blah blah.

The actual sitiuation is usually either stolen or it is an accident car. Neither of these is a good choice. But i've known cars that were put to sale by pople who need to leave immediately and have no time to wait, but then again trade-in works quite fast aswell...

Seems to me that it is around $3,000 underpriced.

The reason it is under priced by a fair amount is the milage, I know you guys in America cover much greater miles than us but i still think 100,000miles in 2 years is excessive or high mileage for a car in any country.

The Toyota engine and gearbox will be the least of your worries but items like clutch may need replacement very soon, also on the replacement list may be the odd wheel bearing or suspension bush (depending on where driven). The drivers seat will naturally be sagging a little and the bodywork may have plenty of stone chips.

Seems to me that it is around $3,000 underpriced.

The reason it is under priced by a fair amount is the milage, I know you guys in America cover much greater miles than us but i still think 100,000miles in 2 years is excessive or high mileage for a car in any country.

The Toyota engine and gearbox will be the least of your worries but items like clutch may need replacement very soon, also on the replacement list may be the odd wheel bearing or suspension bush (depending on where driven). The drivers seat will naturally be sagging a little and the bodywork may have plenty of stone chips.

Thanks for the reply.

How much would those things cost to replace on a Corolla? And how much more use can I get out of the car? I would like to get at least 150,000 more miles.

And how much more use can I get out of the car? I would like to get at least 150,000 more miles.

As I said the Engine will keep going (providing the oil has been changed regulary) so thus 150,000 will be no problem. just check Oil on dipstick is a nice amber colour and not 'Black'.

Something like a ripped or worn drivers seat would cost alot to replace on such a new model of car; then again considering the price you may pay for car could you live with it and put covers on?

Items I would be concerned about is the clutch (which i said before) could be around $400 repair job (i'm sure someone on this forum may come up with a cheaper quote!) and the other item in view of the mileage is the Catalitic converter.

Other points to watch are excactly what bzn said beware of the seller ...ask why mileage is so high; could have been a used by car hire firm ('everybodies' driven it!).

P.S. Forgot to say ...welcome to the Club / Forum :thumbsup:

Well, I called the dealer Monday and found out it was too good to be true. That price was a misprint :-(

Thanks to everyone who posted an answer to me.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links