Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Not Liking The Wet Weather...

Jimlad

ok.. today the car has died the second time in one week. Funnily enough when the weather is poor and wet.

It happened to me once last year. The car was seriously misfiring etc with no power. Once it dried out it was fine.

When it happened the other day the car was fine for about 20mins, then all of a sudden, misfiring and loss of power etc. Same today. It's as if the water's sitting somewhere or something until this happens.

Is there anything to check for ? Anyway to stop the water getting into where it shouldn't ? If it's dry outside the car is totally fine.

PS : Rico is currently stuck about 30miles away in my broken down car... lol.

i had that in my ae82 to a while ago,missing wanting to stall etc but i just drove throught a big pudle,it sounds rough but if you can put a plastic bag round the distributor it helps,just make sure it doesnt touch any thing that gets hot.

Finally made it back!!

Car cleared itself after about 25 mins and drove home ok.

Gonna check the ht leads, plugs and cap tomorrow and see if anything is loose or damp.

Its defo water getting into somewhere.

As Jim said, its only doing it in the bad weather. :huh:

Time for a new(er) car Jimbo............Try a Submarine up there in my favourite country. Hotta hate the dreary weather though.

Yea it happens to me occasionally too jim always when its raining...usually theres a misfire..feels like a fuel cut when I floor it and the revs hit 4000rpm odd. Happened today and the car made a huge BANG BANG...there was an FTO behind me that musta thought I had anti lag or somethin rofl and he back right off :rolleyes: It clears up quick tho..Toyota are such !Removed! givin us old skool dizzy caps..FS!

This was more than just a misfire.

I had to to pull off the motorway and wait till the car composed itself before it would move again :rolleyes:

Big smoke screens out the tails on every pop.... wouldn't like to have been behind me :D

I had to to pull off the motorway and wait till the car composed itself before it would move again   :rolleyes:

Big smoke screens out the tails on every pop.... wouldn't like to have been behind me :D

Maybe the engine flooded or something mate. That also happened to me b4 stank of fuel and the revs would ***** at idle. Maybe linked in with the overboost problem perhaps ...

would the old blanket over the engine method help , just remember its there before take off.

i'd say no to grease on the cap as it attracts electricity and shows up like blackpool illuminations at night. up to you though buy wd 40 is the best best. :thumbsup:

I cant remember 100% but I think Halfords and the like sell an aerosol that you spray round the dizzy cap, leads and plugs and it coats them with a silicone layer, it prevents damp etc but allegedly does not cause any internal dampness oh err :o

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Dave

I had to to pull off the motorway and wait till the car composed itself before it would move again   :rolleyes:

Maybe the engine flooded or something mate. That also happened to me b4 stank of fuel and the revs would ***** at idle. Maybe linked in with the overboost problem perhaps ...

It was defo flooding, could smell the fuel very strong in the cabin.

Dont think its linked to the boost problem because i hadn't really been boosting

over 1.0 bar anyway.

would the old blanket over the engine method help , just remember its there before take off.

i'd say no to grease on the cap as it attracts electricity and shows up like blackpool illuminations at night. up to you though buy wd 40 is the best best. :thumbsup:

Cool mate, I'll give it all a good spray with wd tommorrow ( if the rain stops!)

warm and wet is the perfect situation to cause dampness around the ignition components. there's nothing you can do about it.

last year when i was driving back and forth down the m1 on weekends, this was a major pain in the @ss for me on wet days when it chucked it down before the journeys. you just have to get the engine really hot before it goes away :(

Toyota are such !Removed! givin us old skool dizzy caps..FS!

Anyone looked into Dizzy-lees ignition .. I thought it was available on the SC'ed Mk1's ..

Doh!! your supposed to know everything...

ha ha ha .. man, there are SO many things I don't know and will NEVER understand .. :lol:

Just my tuppence worth, but i've allways found that spraying any damp dispersant on HT leads makes them brittle in the long run.

A cheap and cheerful remedy (as long as your not going to show the engine room off) is a------------------------marrigold glove (don't laugh) thumb for in and pinkies for out.

You can hose the engine down and it still won't pop or f@rt! :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links