Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying A Mr2 Mk1!

un1eash

Hi there, i'm gonna be buyin a mr2 mk1 early next year. Just want to know what a good price will be for a car ive found,in fact its my girlfriends mums car. Its a mk1 in red,F reg,99k miles on the clock,full 6 month service history upto 96k, body work wise its the best ive seen, not a scratch or spot of rust on it.All it needs is a new cambelt which ive been told i can get done for £150-200.By looks of it they would be happy to sell it for £1500-1600 with tax and full mot, does this sound like a bargain??

Any help would be nice.

Cheers!!

Mk1 are hard cars to work out prices of .. they are a classic, but there are more than a few dogs about.

I'm not too sure on them having never owned one or looked into it, but I know there were 2 revisions.

I think ropey cars are about £500 and a good car is £1500 .. a minter is still £2000+ ..

If it's a runner with no rust I think £1500 is a bargain for the fun you'll have out of it :D

Agree with Bibbs, £1500 is a bit of a bargin for a MK1 in that good condition. I've seen mint ones go for up £3500!

The F reg will have the phase 2, MAP sensored 4AGE which is (IMO) more tunable than the AFM. Is it a T-top or a Coupe (sunroof)?

Its the coupe with the sunroof, everything is original on it, even has the original toyota headunit. Like i said before, all it needs is a new cambelt because when it was lasted changed is unknown. Its only done 3k in the last 2 years and has spent the last 6 months sittin in a garage.

from what you say sounds good to me. Check out the buyers guides on line and crawl over the car looking at all the things they say to look at. They go into far more detail than we can here. If it's been regularly serviced and has no rust those are your first two headaches straight out the window. 99k miles is not excessive for this car by any means... just remember that's no guarantee of a trouble free life though.

Take a good look inside the wheel arches for any signs of rust and trapped dirt (dirt = water = rust) - look (with your fingers) right up in the ledge. Not a reason to walk away as things are easily stopped at that early stage... just go into the deal with your eyes open.

1600 seems like a bargain to me - but of course will be totally dependant on the exact state of the vehicle - not something we can tell over the net. 1600 is what I paid that for my mk1 back in about 2001... I think.... maybe 2000 :huh: Damn I gotta stop drinking. :( I reckoned that was a real bargain back then, although I guess the markets are going have changed a little 3-5 years on.

89F is going to be one of the youngest batches about (stopped selling in 90G if I remember correctly). Quickest way to tell between the two is (appart from alloys which are often changed) is the air intake behind the drivers door. Early revisions had a vertical divide half way through intake - later ones didn't have divide.

As stated above the later ones were slightly better on one or two features.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links