Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Manual Vs Electric Boost Controller

swales_p

Hello all, as soon as christmas is past my tubbie will be fitted with a boost and oil temp gauge + 3 more down the A Pillar, a turbo xs BOV and induction kit.

So i was thinking, what should my next mod be? - Answer - Electronic boost controller so i can up the boost - still keeping it safe for me motor of course :thumbsup:

Anyway, what electronic boost controllers are you guys using? how much? and are they any good?

Also, should this be my next mod, OR should it be a bigger intercooler of some kind.

Cheers all :thumbsup:

Cheers KiwiMr2, im going to have to agree with Earl on this one, maual it is! i really dont see the point in spending £300 - £400 + when one does it just as good, or even better in some cases for $65.

Although you dont get the great looking dial box (The Apexi one looks awesome!!) but nevermind.

Cheers fellas :thumbsup:

Oh, just a thought, does anyone use a manual boost controller on their tubbies?If so, what do you think of it.

Cheers :thumbsup:

get a grainger valve, much more reliable, much simpler. Had an APEXI AVC-R couldn't stand it, learning mode just doesn't work, I thought the grainger valve did a better job, at current cars being unichipped so totally electronically controlled from ECU boost will be interesting to see how that goes.

Its like the title sais folks, which one is better to use on my tubbie?

After reading around the topic, the manual one seems the best choice + is wey cheaper.

So, it down to you boys / girls who use them.

Which one would you prefer?

Let the debate begin.

there no debate over a manual or electronic

it's been proved trillions of times over that electronic is the way to go. :rolleyes:

Wheres this proof ?

I think people just like gadgets, its a fact that the most reliable boost control is grainger valve, set boost forget about it.

Only two + points of electronic are 2 boost level settings & different amount of boost at different points in the rev range.

When my Apexi worked as it was supposed too, for all of 2 hours it simply worked to the same standard as my grainger valve did.

I have actually bought another G-valve thats ready to go back on incase the Unichip Boost module can't do its stuff, I certainly hope it will mind...

I'll report back on wednesday when i collect the car :D

well having had a manual one, when i wound the little knob out to get more boost, as it was topping out at 12psi, it just fell off.

i then had an electronic sbc-id3 put in and i could pretty much set the boost to whatever i wanted and is was childs play to set it up.

EBC for sure!! More consistant......you set it & it STAYS, even if it's really cold out where as most MBC's will "spike" to a higher point. Dual stage.....you can have a safe everyday "low" setting & with the press of a button you can be in "hi" to tkae on whatever your lining up at the lights ;)

I used to have a boostvalve.....I'll admit it worked fine BUT it did spike when it was cold & I prefer to have a hi & a low setting so Im not forced to run around on a hi setting.....and Im 99% sure most of us don't get out and change it all the time ;)

This is the EXACT one I have....not the current version BUT most people prefer my version as there seems to be a few flaws with the latest one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

They have to be one of the simplest ebc's to install & use!!

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Of the two, I'd prefer an electronic one. I'm always a little dubious about the MBC. When it's as cold as it has been in the past couple of weeks, I'm always cautious about giving it some stick as it may do damage.

I chose the MBC on my car because I wanted to see what it went like with 15psi of boost before lashing out on an EBC. Now I know, I'll be getting a Blitz ID3 (are you listening Shaf, ol' pal, ol' buddy :D) in the new year. :thumbsup:

Cheers lads, i guess its a errrm EBC now :blink:

Ill have a hunt around and when i pick the one i want ill see what everyone thinks.

Now I know, I'll be getting a Blitz ID3 (are you listening Shaf, ol' pal, ol' buddy  :D) in the new year.  :thumbsup:

i hear ya :lol:

be sure to ask me for a price first, best bargains in town :D

Now I know, I'll be getting a Blitz ID3 (are you listening Shaf, ol' pal, ol' buddy  :D) in the new year.  :thumbsup:

i hear ya :lol:

be sure to ask me for a price first, best bargains in town :D

yea, you mentioned when i was selling my AVC-R that £280 secondhand was too much,...you could do cheaper,... i have not seen them cheaper else where once deliverys added but i got my £280 within 7 days of putting it up for sale :D

true, i am going to have either a new or used avcr within a couple of weeks. if it's used £235 plus post, if it's new £265 plus post.

if i was to order one from japan i can get them for £285 all in :)

blitz sbc-id3 are £295 all in.

EBC ;)

ill be getting one soonish, i always get the concern of, 'did i tighten the locknut correct' with my G-Valve, works a treat but a tad crude as far as im concerned

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links