Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vsc

MickTS

This morning I lost control on ice/snow and I was sliding sidewards across the road and all of sudden my t sport quit sliding. Is VSC or Traction Control any good in ice/snow? The snow came on unexpectedly and i had Traction Control turned on. Have heard that you're not supposed to drive with TSC in ice/snow.

This morning I lost control on ice/snow and I was sliding sidewards across the road and all of sudden my t sport quit sliding. Is VSC or Traction Control any good in ice/snow? The snow came on unexpectedly and i had Traction Control turned on. Have heard that you're not supposed to drive with TSC in ice/snow.

Usually I find that you get a helping hand from the VSC when cornering in the snow. Traction control is very good once you get going, but can't help you much if you are stationary (cutting the fuel flow would stall the engine, probably).

It's the EBD/ABS which really loses out in the snow. If there is any grip to be had on any wheel then you will get some braking, but with all four wheels on snow you really want them to lock up and dig in, although then you won't be able to steer. If you need braking in a hurry, selecting a low gear and braking with the engine is probably the best way to go. I don't think there is any way to disable the EBD/ABS without pulling out a fuse.

Cheers

Paul.

I had a nightmare last winter, same thing snow came on all of a sudden and i had to get out of a car park via a steep inclined road, vsc was a !Removed! nightmare kept cutting my revs just when i needed them, car stalled and slipped down the hill abs was no good going backwards with no power, i managed to get the car running by help of a handy push and turning the traction control off, hopefuly this is a rare thing but i think it could be a case of this car having a puny ammount of torque.

All,

I have been reading this with some amusement. Also, I would like to think I have a fair bit of experience driving in the snow. Traction control does help in the snow but only when you are moving. It's no good if you’re stationary on a hill, stuck in a drift, or otherwise not moving. The reason for TSC not helping from stationary is, as mentioned above, because it cuts the power and applies brakes. When stuck at a stand still, you typically need to either, move forward as slowly as possible without braking tracking or, rock back and forth (when stuck in a drift). Less torque is no bad thing in snow.

TSC is very helpful when bombing down the motorway in snowy and/or wet conditions; hence it being fitted to most upper end North American front and rear wheel drive vehicles.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links