Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Driving Tips

50mpg

I just bought my Prius T3 last week and love it. I wouldn't mind any driving tips from people who have been getting the best out of their Prius. Just got through the full-tank (allegedly) that came with the car and only managed to do 375miles (49mpg) before the low fuel warning came on. Covered A-roads, motorways and city driving in the last week.

Here is my first tip.....

I've found that I get best fuel economy when I rev up to my desired speed quickly and ease my foot on the gas pedal. This way I can cruise at pretty much stealth mode. Obvisouly this works best on level ground and down hills :)

Did anyone manage get any discount on thier purchase? I couldn't get anything at all.

Firstly, I agree with the quick acceleration observation - If you look at the mpg indicator it doesn't seem to drop much even under harder acceleration - it appears to stick around 17mpg, suggesting that more power is coming from the electric side of things . Plenty of coasting helps. Also , I wonder if anyone else has noticed this; When I fill up with ordinary unleaded I get 52 mpg but when I fill up with BP ultimate it seems to drop to barely 50 mpg and seems to perform less well. However, I filled up with optimax and got 56 mpg for the same exact routes and with better performance ? I may be imagining it but they were all full tanks of fuel doing the exact same trudge to work . BP Ultimate gave 400 miles where optimax gave 460 miles .( and no, it can't be explained by it running in because the economy dropped for one tankful well after running in) I willl try again to see if it consistent but if it does work it would be worthwhile filling up with more expensive fuel. Incidentally, my 4 stroke vespa runs like a bag of nails on BP ultimate so I'm not overly impressed with it !( the fuel that is! ( and also the vespa - mickey mouse dealer network, fobbing me off with used parts replaced 'under warranty' - bandits))

PS My local toyota dealer in grantham actually drove all the way out to my house (18 miles)on christmas eve to deliver a replacement aerial for my other car after the wife snapped it off in the car wash and didn't charge for delivery - excellent service or what !

PPS that reminds me - if you want good economy don't give it to the spouse - they'll spoil the average for the whole tank!( and snap the aerial off for measure)

Filled the tank with 40ltr/8.8g of Esso unleaded and got 450miles exactly before the fuel warning light came on. The average miles per gallon was showing 52mpg.

Starting to see a lot of Prius of the road now. Well, three actually :)

It definitly varies with ambient temperature. The warmer it is, the better mpg.

Now I understand that around town as the engine doesn't shut down as often because it has to provide heat to the cabin. However, on a motorway I wouldn't expect much difference as the engine is on all the time anyway.

Went to Devon over Christmas and got 3 mpg less going than coming back. Temp going was about 3 degrees and temp coming back was a balmy 13 degrees. Could be a coincidence but I don't think so. All round my mpg was better in the summer.

• 9 months later...

Did anyone manage get any discount on thier purchase? I couldn't get anything at all.

Parkers recommend getting a grand off the purchase which is what I achieved with the free accessories I got. Helps to play a dealer off another too. Persistence and a little aggression may end in a good deal.

Parkers recommend getting a grand off the purchase which is what I achieved with the free accessories I got. Helps to play a dealer off another too. Persistence and a little aggression may end in a good deal.

My local dealer has offered to discount a T Spirit (silver metallic) to £19,500, i.e. £800 off if you count the paint option.

However, I'm in the process of trying to buy a new Prius in an online reverse auction. I listed my requirement on the auction website this morning and have had bids from two dealers so far trying to win my custom. The lowest bid at the moment is £18,250. My spec is for a new UK supplied T Spirit in metallic silver, including on the road costs and delivery.

The online auctioneer has set a reserve price (ie the price they think they'll achieve) of £18,196. If anyone bids or betters that price by the time the auction closes on Friday, I have to buy the car and pay the auction site £250 (plus VAT) for their services.

If anyone's interested, I'll let you know the outcome. I'm hoping to save around £2,000 or so, including the fee. :D

• 1 month later...

Hi I also own a Prius T4.

what I dont understand is about the Miles Per Gallon.

Are we all talking about the UK Gallon or the US Gallon? As a UK gallon is larger than a US Gallon.

Also does someone know the actual fuel tank capacity in Liters?

My local dealer has offered to discount a T Spirit (silver metallic) to £19,500, i.e. £800 off if you count the paint option.

However, I'm in the process of trying to buy a new Prius in an online reverse auction. I listed my requirement on the auction website this morning and have had bids from two dealers so far trying to win my custom. The lowest bid at the moment is £18,250. My spec is for a new UK supplied T Spirit in metallic silver, including on the road costs and delivery.

The online auctioneer has set a reserve price (ie the price they think they'll achieve) of £18,196. If anyone bids or betters that price by the time the auction closes on Friday, I have to buy the car and pay the auction site £250 (plus VAT) for their services.

If anyone's interested, I'll let you know the outcome. I'm hoping to save around £2,000 or so, including the fee. :D

Hi I also own a Prius T4.

what I dont understand is about the Miles Per Gallon.

Are we all talking about the UK Gallon or the US Gallon? As a UK gallon is larger than a US Gallon.

Also does someone know the actual fuel tank capacity in Liters?

Most prob UK gallon as most of us drive in Britain.

45 litres says the user manual. I tank up 38 litres. Manual says to tank up when you have 2 bars showing.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links