Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Painting The Exhaust Cover

JohnnyW

The exhaust cover thingy at the back of my two is looking a bit worse for wear as there's now rust appearing on it so I was going to paint it to match the car colour.

Just after a bit of advice, i.e whats the best thing to do preperation wise before painting it since it is a bit rusty. Also does is it easily removeable or should i paint it whilst it's still on the car.

Johnny

If you mean the grill bit below the rear bumper its part of the chasis... you could just remove it with some tin snips...but it wont go back on!!

If you go ahead with the painting I'd recommend you treat it with Kurust(sp?) or similar rust treatment after you've sanded it and before you put primer on.

I think Johnny is on about the metal plate which covers his manifold init. INSIDE the engine bay. The one with the hand 'do not touch ' sticker on it.

Sorry I probably should have made that clearer, Kelvyn was correct it's the grill bit blow the rear bumper that I am planning on painting. Bit of a pain that it can't be taken off for painting it :angry:

I'm just chopping mine off once the new zorst is on. Then it won't look as obvious that the car used to have a twin exit.

is that a blueflame exaust?

it looks very simalar to mine! and yes i just rolled mine up and i looks just like that!

that would be why they look the same then lol

i think it is one of the best looking exausts for the mr2 especially then the gaurd is removed.

mine was built slightly differant to that one (i went to blueflame to have mine fitted) i have 3 1/2 pipes outwardly rolled.

mr22.jpg

pic was taken before the gaurd was removed

back to topic, i think you should remove the gaurd rather than paint it!

back to topic, i think you should remove the gaurd rather than paint it!

To late, it's now been painted. Looks not too bad definitly better that the rusty grill that was there but will wait and see what it's like in the daylight......

Thanks for your help MattMR2!

You can just bend it up in about 2 mins.

Heres mine out of the way.

mongoose.jpg

I might have to have a listen to that so see what I think for when I get my MR2. It looks very smart indeed, as does the car itself.

blue flame make custom exausts so you tell them what you like and they will make it and fit it.

mine was £270 fitted!

blueflame are very big on the motorbike scene which is why i went for it as i have a blueflame on my suzuki bandit and sounds the nuts!! as does the mr2 exuast

I looked at painting mine ages ago but sorta talked about it and never got it done. I would be quite keen to paint mine in CHROME to match the muffler :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

isn't it the Tubby exhaust that has rolled edges and the N/A has just cut off edges?

No, Toyota stock exhausts have rolled edges for both the NA & Turbo.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links