Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bov Leak Methinks?

pizza boy

Slightly similar thing to Jims here lol! It sounds deffo like a BOV leak in my car as I can audibly hear the BOV make a veeeeerrrry sloooow "ssssssssSSSSHH" normally at around 2000rpm and it will go away at around 3500rpm.

...AND my car has stalled a few times...like just conked out always ALWAYS after a motorway journey at the end of a slip road...coming off in 5th...hit give way clutch down,... and then instead of rpm needle dropping to the idle rpm...the revs just plummet to "0" and the engine stalls. But in city streets its fine...wierd.

Matt has mentioned in Jims post that the bovs get full of crap so is it possible to clean em? Bear in mind I have the stock BOV.

i spoke to a friend with a rs turbo AHHUMM,and he runs a baileys but says he cleans it with a squrt of WD40?

I was under the impression that the BOV shouldn't cause issues on your car mate because you have a rev4 which has the MAP sensor.

Itll make sense tho..if the spring is weak what I think is happenin is im steppin on the gas, alls good, dump valve is tight, shift gear = Patish! BUT then the BOV wont close properly after the blow off meanin when your on the gas again on the next gear air is escaping (or even being sucked in possibly) thru the BOV as its still a lil open HENCE the slow"ssssshhhhhhh" dump sound im hearing thru the dump valve as I accelerate. Its a situation that can possibly confuse the ecu. Havin a dodgy BOV usually causes stalling problems despite having a map/afm setup.

Bah I just sorted the dizzy situation and now this. GRRR!

Either that or its the MAP sensor itself, maybe a throttle position sensor? Air leak elsewhere, it could be a knock on effect by my knackered dizzy/rotor which I just replaced. Where is the throttle position sensor anyways? I might give it a clean.

Ya know I used to have a pic that pointed out all the lil bits an sensors on an mr2 Turbo engine bay bah..cant find anything now!

Such a little problem but so many possibilities..argh!

Or..maybe just maybe its a dodgy earth..thats next on my hitlist. Sounds the most likely reason tbh. :unsure:

Where are mr2s earthed?

Also when the timing is thrown all over the place due to a recent dodgy dizzy/rotor..will this affect the throttle position sensors setting also? So when you replace the dizzy and rotor the TPS is still off key and needs manual adjustment?

mr2's eh ?? ... when you find a problem it can be lots of things !! ... lol

hopefully I'll have my boost issue sorted soon.

Well im hopin its the BOV not only due to the sound its makin..but also because the stallin only occurs when I knock the car into neutral ....if I shift down gears its fine...makin me suspicious even further of the bov.

yea im tryin to get hold of mike the git! Also i know rikki has a stock bov lying about. bah the gits are proving elusive for now tho..time to harass em! :yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links