Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Had My Cts For 6k Miles Now

XTJC

My CTS is starting to loosen up and bar the poor brakes and notchy gear box, i am still enjoying it just!

I am finding that gears 1 & 2 are very long whereas 3,4,5 & 6 are closely stacked.

When in lift mode at 8200rpm in first I cannot drop back into lift when I select second gear and on second to third I can just about drop back in to lift but not always. 3rd to 4th is easy and so too I would imagine is 4th to 5th to 6th but at these speeds in lift mode I would lose my license.

So it would appear that the main performance gearchanges whilst keeping within the 70 mph speed limit ;) cannot be performed without dropping out of lift zone!!

Do other people find this as well?

My CTS is starting to loosen up and bar the poor brakes and notchy gear box, i am still enjoying it just!

I am finding that gears 1 & 2 are very long whereas 3,4,5 & 6 are closely stacked. 

When in lift mode at 8200rpm in first I cannot drop back into lift when I select second gear and on second to third I can just about drop back in to lift but not always.  3rd to 4th is easy and so too I would imagine is 4th to 5th to 6th but at these speeds in lift mode I would lose my license. 

So it would appear that the main performance gearchanges whilst keeping within the 70 mph speed limit ;)  cannot be performed without dropping out of lift zone!!

Do other people find this as well?

I am pretty sure it is possible to land the car in lift most of the gears, i think it takes practice and its hard to explain other than i change the gear realy quickly and have the revs realy high 8200 just before limiter kicks in then do a realy fast change i am sure this lands you just about every time guess it depends on straight up hill down hill etc???

I still find the gearbox a bit tricky at times, can be very difficult to get 1st end up slamming it in to reverse in frustraition, got stuck at a junction once and guy must ave though i was gonna reverse in to him :blink:

So it would appear that the main performance gearchanges whilst keeping within the 70 mph speed limit ;)  cannot be performed without dropping out of lift zone!!

Do you have > 8000 revs on the engine after selecting the next gear and before you take your foot off the clutch?

Cheers

Paul.

After lots of pratice you can just about land in the lift in second gear but its far from an ideal set up I must be honest. It will become easier as the car loosens up without a doubt but the gear ratios has always been one of the T-Sports flaws along with the gearbox itself.

I am though surpised by you finding the brakes weak as I have always thought the T-Sports brakes were fantastic until they were very warm only then did you get loads of brake fade but unless you drive you car very hard or track it you really wouldnt know what I mean!

Nick

Cheers guys I will struggle on, been trying today on a quiet road and 2nd to 3rd is just manageable but 1st at 8200rpm luts me back in at 5900rpm and that last 300rpm is slowwwwwwww!

On the brakes front I also drive a clio cup which has graet brakes but my old car golf gti turbo had good brakes as well, better imo than T sport. I will get them checked at next service

I can hit lift from 1 - 2 and 2 - 3 but you do have to be on limit. it takes practice and i have hit limiter a few times trying to get.

it is possible to land every gear. you do need to rev match well or the engine breaking puts you below the lift, i belive this and fast stick movement to be the key.

you can tell when you have done it thought and its very satisfying no learch at all.

I find the gears are perfect. I find that holding the stick from the side ensures correct shifts. 1+2 palm towards the passenger 3+4 strait and 5+6 palm towards me. hope that makes sence, and the breaks are always very strong.

Hi,

I have 5K on my CTS now and have found that things are starting to loosen up quite nicely.

Can hit lift in 2nd 3rd & 4th, but getting into silly speeds in 4th.

This was not possible in the 1st 2K miles as the engine braking efect (tightness) droped the rev's too quick.

Cant say I have tried too much for 1st to 2nd to say. But Iam definatly on the side of spongey brakes in this one.

Also just a quick question, does anybody else have any rust showing thru on the centre hubs of the rear disks. ??

Going to take it back to the dealers this week to ask about both these little quibbles

Trev

CTS / Sportivo in aus had a bit of an issue with the clutch not biting hard or quick enough. this was causing a fair few people to crunch and or miss the 1-2 lift shift. Once the master cylinder on the clutch was adjusted along with the friction point being moved back 20mm we have had no trouble what so ever ;)

lift changes throughout the all 6 is no troubles at all now ;)

Danthuyer, what is the effect of the change on the distance to release the clutch?

It might not be convenient if you need another 2cm.

Danthuyer, what is the effect of the change on the distance to release the clutch?

It might not be convenient if you need another 2cm.

It took me a littlw while to get used to the new friction point....but it changes so more effortlesly now!!! its not inconvienient at all i feel

my 1-2 changes are so easy to do now....but my car doesnt chirp from 1-2 like the others...it just spins for 1 second ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links