Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla 1.4 T3 Help And Advice Needed Please

sigrid

Hi Everyone

I have recently bought a year old 1.4 T3 and I have a problem, at least I think I do.

When I change gear the revs dont drop straight away, when I take my foot off the throttle, they hover for a second or so then drop, this is starting to annoy me because it makes me look like I cant change gear properly.

Is this normal? I spoke to a Toyota technician and he said it is to burn off any excess fuel in the manifold, and he said they all do it.

Please, please can someone tell me if my cars behaviour is normal. Its a Japanese built one if that's any help.

Thanks in advance

I have a 3 month old 1.6 manual, built in Japan.

The technician is correct in one respect - the revs do hover momentarily before dropping as you change gear, and all Corollas seem to do that. Similarly the revs momentarily remain on the high side at idle when stopped in neutral and with your foot off the thottle, even when the engine is hot. Probably linked to the high idle speed when starting from cold that all Corollas also have? Or lazy throttle dampers? I just live with it and hardly notice it, especially on longer journeys when the engine is hot.

Not sure the technician's explanation is correct though. Having a high rpm to clear surplus fuel seems unlikely to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to add something here.

We bought a new Corolla 1.4 T3 in December, and I have this morning been back to the dealer to complain about this throttle delay. It is still very irritating after 1000 miles.

I was given the same explantion and I drove another Corolla while I was there to see if it was the same. It was.

The Service Manager said I should write to Toyota to complain, and they may produce a fix for it if enough owners say they don't like it.

I certainly think it's worth a try.

We are also disspointed in the fuel consumption. It seems to average about 34mpg. A come down after the Yaris which did 48!

I have taken my car back for the 2nd time to the dealer and they said more or less the same as yours, that they would send a note to Toyota and if enough people complained they would put out a fix.

Personally I think it is a problem that seriously affects driveability, and if they dont send out a fix I'm selling mine. I also find my foot rubs on the bottom of the dash when pressing the brake or throttle which is irritating.

If its any consolation my car had done 10,000 miles and returns an average of 41 mpg, yours should achieve this when its bedded in a bit I guess.

As I said in my earlier reply, my 1.6 (3,500 miles and run-in) has a very slight delay on the revs dropping, but it is barely perceptible and virtually disappears when the engine is hot. Certainly not enough to make me want to sell the car. This makes me think that your car must be much worse?

I would say you have grounds for insisting the car is sorted under warranty as "being of un-merchantable quality" and "unfit for the purpose for which it was intended". I have successfully had cars fixed under warranty under those circumstances. A letter to the main manufacturer's Customer Services Manager, which is usually rejected, followed up by a well-aimed letter to the Chief Executive works wonders.

I think you are right, maybe the 1.6 isnt affected as much as the 1.4, but its definitely worth writing a letter, I think the thing that sticks in my throat is my trade in.... an 136,000 mile 1994 Carina E was fault free and a pleasure to own for 6 years, I change it for what I think will be a newer and hassle free car and I get this. Thats life I suppose....

I know how you feel.

I had 2.5 years trouble-free motoring in a Rover 75 2.5 V6 and then traded it in for another exact same model before the warranty ran out. The replacement (direct from Rover) was only a few months old, with a few thousand miles on the clock. Within weeks the fluctuating coolant level was diagnosed as due to 2 warped cylinder heads and a cracked block. A complete factory replacement engine was fitted under warranty. That solved the problem, but kicked off a rattle from the transmission when idling. On separate occasions the clutch and flywheel were replaced under warranty, with absolutely no effect. God knows how much that lot cost Rover in parts and labour. Rover's only remaining suggestion was a replacement gearbox. At this point I lost interest and decided to give Toyota a try. In any case, the 75's were depreciating mega fast and I just cut my losses. But I was under no illusions that Toyota might not necessarily be better. Mercifully, so far, I seem to have made a good choice.

Car buying can be a lottery.........................Just insist on your rights and don't let the buggers get away with poor quality products!

Hello guys, I'll clear this up for you. I am an ex Toyota technician, and the percieved fault is not anything wrong with the engine. The revs actually rise a very small amount and then fall, this is to burn unused fuel in the combustion chamber, it is purely an environmental measure.

What I can tell you is it tends to lessen over time, it is not so obvious in a 20k engine as opposed to a 10k one and most people get used to it after a while. I doubt very much if Toyota will put out a fix simply because they are constantly striving to reduce emissions and make cleaner and cleaner engines, and I dont think they will see it as an issue. Hope this advice helps.

I've just driven a couple of 1.4's at my local dealer and yes they all do the revs thing, the explaination is still the same, it is to burn off excess fuel/gases. There is also no mechanical adjustment that can be made as it's all mapped at the factory.

Because the car is so good in so many other areas I'm going to live with it, and I did average 48mpg going the 40 miles to the dealer and back so thats cool. Thanks for all the advice :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links