Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Keys Question

Pablo C

Hi all,

yes I'm a newbie, so please forgive me if this question is a bit thick/has been covered elsewhere!!

I put down a deposit on a 1.3 RS yesterday and should be picking it up in a few days. When I asked the seller, he said it only came with one key (the one with the remote locking buttons) which I didn't really give a second thought to at the time.

A day later I'm now a bit concerned that there should be at least one spare (my current beloved Fiat coupe came with 3!). Can anyone help put my mind at rest and confirm that this shouldn't be too much of an issue? :help:

Thanks Pablo

Hi and welcome,

Here Yarii come with at least three keys as standard: one black key with the remote lock buttons (the one you have it seems), one black key without remote function and one grey key (the "garage" key). Depending on what option the first owner bought the black key without remote buttons could have been substituted for one with remote functions.

Maybe the seller has either lost those other keys?

Yves.

Hi and welcome,

Here Yarii come with at least three keys as standard: one black key with the remote lock buttons (the one you have it seems), one black key without remote function and one grey key (the "garage" key). Depending on what option the first owner bought the black key without remote buttons could have been substituted for one with remote functions.

Yves.

What exactly is the "Garage" key for and how does it differ? (Apart from the colour)

Hi and welcome,

Yves.

What exactly is the "Garage" key for and how does it differ? (Apart from the colour)

You can use the "garage" key as any other key (except on some models it won't open the boot and/or glovebox), the main thing however is you can't use it to make duplicate keys containing the immobiliser code from it. If you leave your car at a dealership or mechanic or so you're supposed to give them that key and not one of the black ones.

Yves.

EDIT: speling :)

Edited by yvvan

Thanks Yves......you are a mine of information :thumbsup:

btw I got two black keys with remote and a grey "garage key " with mine

Is that standard for UK Yarii to come with another key with remote function, rather than one without?

Yves.

Thats what i got with mine aswell

2 with remote 1 without

Me too - 2 black remote keys and one light grey "valet" key (well thats what the dealership called it)..which unlocks the doors and starts the car but doesnt do anything else

Is that standard for UK Yarii to come with another key with remote function, rather than one without?

Yves.

Yes I think that is the case

Thanks all for the quick response.

It sounds like the one I'm getting is the most important in that (a) it operates the remote and (B) can be used to make a duplicate with the immobiliser code. Still, if I should be getting 3 I think it's grounds for getting at least a few quid off the price agreed! ;)

Thanks Yves......you are a mine of information :thumbsup:

Me too, and also with my last Yaris!

i never got a grey garage key this time! just 2 remote keys!! :(

i've got 2black and one grey.

be carefull if you are only getting one key,does that mean somebody

has the other set its easy to find out where you live from your reg nbr,

i'd get an aftermarket alarm and imobiliser fitted just to be sure,

you dont want someone driving off in it do you.

Sorry if i'm worrying you but its better to be safe than sorry.oh and

WELCOME TO TOC!!

I got a black key and a grey key.. my car doesn't have remote central locking as standard tho.

Whooooooo!!! my 100th post... where is my prize??? :blink:

Edited by cfc

Depending on the model of Yaris you buy depends on what types of key you get, on a T-Sport/Spirit you will get 2 top end keys and a basic one. Lower models you get 1 top end key and maybe 2 lower end types (it’s in my manual) :thumbsup:

But you should have 3 in total...

T3 = Two top end keys and a basic grey.........So is my T3 classed as "Higher End" model :P ;)

(Note to self : Dont rise to the uneducated ;) )

T3 = Two top end keys and a basic grey.........So is my T3 classed as "Higher End" model :P  ;)

(Note to self : Dont rise to the uneducated  ;) )

Allow me to rephrase that...

You should have 2 master keys and 1 sub key...

Depending on what version of Yaris you have will depend if you have:

2 black keys (without wireless remote control) and 1 sub key

2 black keys (1 with and 1 without wireless remote control) and 1 sub key

2 black keys (both with wireless remote control and double locking system) and 1 sub key

T3 = Two top end keys and a basic grey.........So is my T3 classed as "Higher End" model :P  ;)

(Note to self : Dont rise to the uneducated  ;) )

You should have 2 master keys and 1 sub key...

2 black keys (both with wireless remote control and double locking system) and 1 sub key

That is what I have :thumbsup:

In Holland, for Yaris 1.3 Linea Sol we got:

- 1 remote control key

- 2 keys without remote control

I thought Sol was one of the "highest" options :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links