Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lowering Springs

tim220171

I was thinking of changing the set up on my t sport

I want to put lowering springs on it ( probably go for tte / Eibach as they are for toyota anyway )

Ive looked at other topics and threads so sorry if Im repeating anything here

I dont really know much about adjusting the handling of the car and how springs and shocks affect the car etc

Basically I want to lower it but not so it becomes a problem with speed bumps and high kerbs

Ill be putting 195/50 ,s on at some point instead of the standard tyres but not changing the alloys

will I need to change the shocks as well as the springs or can I just do the springs ?

Im not sure on this but does the T sport have different shocks and springs to the other models already and if so could I just lower the existing system ?

Appreciate as much advice as poss

cheers

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crisis

• Ryan1985

• clarky

• tim220171

Top Posters In This Topic

I've dropped 38mm back and 35mm at the front whilst running 16s. Also have a lip spoiler on the front and yes speed humps and kerbs are now an issue - but the trade off in handling and ride is well worth it.

My lowering springs are Tein, and the rest is standard ...

Clarky

Got any pictures of your car Clarky? Would like to see that lowered.

You just changed the springs then? What front lip spoiler have you got?

Last but one mod being done tomorrow (window) tints - then I'll be taking a few good pics and posting them.

Got the booster lip after a lot of thought ...

I spent most of the money on the brakes rather than the suspension - didnt was too harsh a ride as I do a lot of motorway driving...

If you cant wait I can email some pics?

Clarky

Ok , Clarky , so you are running 16 s with 35 / 38 mm lower ( T SPORT is that ? )

well I suppose between 20 / 30 mm would be ideal , and just the springs to do ?

leave the shocks ?

Im planning to do the 3 rear windows ( tinted ) then new backbox ( probably Remus )

Then I think I want to modify the air filter / Box ( is it worth spending the money and what will it achieve on the T Sport ) ?

Ill do the springs as well and tyres

Email me some please :) crisis51@blueyonder.co.uk

Do you have any problems with the wheel arches though? Any scrubbage?

Everyone goes on about replacing the shocks and everything RATHER than just the springs though. Why?

Everyone goes on about replacing the shocks and everything RATHER than just the springs though. Why?

Because springs and shocks are MUCH better than just springs, okay you will notice a tiny differance with just springs but with springs and shocks it transforms your car! And it gets even better with coilovers! :D :thumbsup:

I never understand this yet.

Do coilcovers lower the ride? Or would you need to get:

Springs, Shocks and Coilcovers???

I guess it stiffins the ride up, makes it feel more solid as well.

Springs and shocks come separately so you can mix and match like Eibach springs and Koni shocks. Coilovers usually come as a whole and are manufactured by the same company.

With Koni's shocks you can only set the stiffness of the ride but with coilovers you can set the ride height and set the stiffness of the ride!

Catch my drift? :wacko:

Tim,

I've an HKS Induction Kit and HKS Hyper Back Box ... definately worth doing. Theres a real 'feel good' thing that happens when you let rip with the two of them ...

Performancewise I do definately feel more pull - particularly pushing up through the gears on motorway sliproads ... Another consequence is a free reving that several of my mates have commented on ...

Crisis - pics sent

Clarky

Excellent, cheers mate. Looks cool!

Rite Ryan, the man who knows:

So really coilcovers are only worth getting if your going to adjust. I would look for a certain lowering ammount and thats me done. So probably best to go for Shocks and Springs as I wouldn't use the feautres on coilcovers so may well save money I guess.

:lol: Dunno bout that mate!

So really coilcovers are only worth getting if your going to adjust. I would look for a certain lowering ammount and thats me done. So probably best to go for Shocks and Springs as I wouldn't use the feautres on coilcovers so may well save money I guess.

Yeah if you can get to a height that you like with springs and shocks you are probably better going with them! :thumbsup:

:lol: Dunno bout that mate!

Yeah if you can get to a height that you like with springs and shocks you are probably better going with them! :thumbsup:

Some normal suspension set-ups are just as much as coilovers.. but are not adjustable in height....

Ryan.... you do realise that you dont have coilovers?? :!Removed!: Yours is just a reallly expensive shock/spring setup like mine....

can you even get coilovers for the yaris?

I think so...

1 Other thing, you always see springs for like £100 or so, and then Sports Kits which are like £300 or so, what do they come with thats so special?

the two go together to make ur suspension work smoothly and not to %$( up ur OE shocks with just lowereing springs..The ride can be harsh with just lowering springs and no sports shocks to go with it so thats why its a bit more expensive ..Im talking about the 1.3 and 1.0 now not t-sport which has sport shocks already

So on a T-Sport all you need is springs? And its not worth getting shocks? Or would it still be worth getting them.

can you even get coilovers for the yaris?

Yes.. :thumbsup:

Coilovers are the daddie, you've got a fine thread on the body which basically determines the ride height.. jack the car up and lower the car normally btween 35-70mm (average) at the twist of a wrist.. :drool:

yes crisis all you need is springs for t-sport..yes you can get coilovers but very expensive about 5-600 pounds or thereabouts

Good idea, but how often would you think... mmm im guna drive lower today.

I would never adjust, i would find what i love and stick with that forever. Maybe im just odd.

Good idea, but how often would you think... mmm im guna drive lower today.

Shows/meets/pictures etc..

You can then raise it up if your going on a 'trip' with a few people/heavy loads etc..

Im not saying 'buy them', just that they rule. :yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links