Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Windows Xp

TheNissanMan

OK guys, am trying to sort out my housemates PC and am having all sorts of problems with the Internet connection and have run out of ideas...

Only thing changed recently is an attempt to install SP2 which didn't work as invalid license key... oops !!

Now we can browse the internet through IE 6.02 but can not view any HTTPS pages (including banks, hotmail etc)and can not log on to MSN.

I've tried turn off all Firewall SW on the machine (Zone Alarm was recently upgraded as well) and changed security settings to low which didn't make any difference...

I've tried d/l'ing Firefox to try a different browser but FF just says that connection refused when attempting to connect to any web pages at all HTTP & HTTPS.

Another thing which seems very odd ios that when trying to load regedit the system states that it's use has been restricted by the Administrator when I am the administrator....

Any idea's would be greatly appreciated !!

Cheers

Ryan

Now we can browse the internet through IE 6.02 but can not view any HTTPS pages (including banks, hotmail etc)and  can not log on to MSN.

Change your proxy.. :thumbsup:

Ps, Warm your bowling arm up buddy ;)

SP2 is required man. eventually all comps will need it so install it and fix the problems, i think the prob. with ur comp is java VM

I had this problem on my laptop and ended up reformatting it because i couldn't find a solution. i had been blocked out and couldn't uninstall anything as it kept saying contact administrator. A friend said it appeared as if someone had altered my security setting and set themself as my administrator!

1. Go to the Control Panel

2. Open up 'Internet Options'

3. Click on the 'Connections' tab, in here you should see the diallers that are configured on your computer.

4. From the list select 'ntl: etc'

5. Click 'Settings'

6. Half way down this screen, under the heading 'Proxy Server', there will be a tick box

'Use Proxy Server for this connection', click in this box.

7. In the address box you will need to enter:

8. In the box next to it, 'Port' you will need to enter:

9. Click 'Ok'

10. Click 'OK' again on Internet Options.

Now close all your windows, back to your desktop, then reconnect to the internet as normal.

Try that.. if it doesnt work, i didnt tell you :D

I'm not really a fan of SP2, quite a few compatibility problems... I suggest you stick with SP1 for now.

-Z

SP2 is required man. eventually all comps will need it so install it and fix the problems, i think the prob. with ur comp is java VM

It has nothing to do with the VM - its down to them cutting out 50% of the drivers, and you dont have to update - why would you?

i think he means for future purposes. For example you can get updates that require SP1 or above to be installed at the moment. Can be quite annoying at times!

-Z

have tried all above with no joy :(

spanish vbs script keeps popping up though, me is thinking virus....

and yes i always canx scripts and dont run them...

not my machine or I would have installed Redhat....

Downloaded an AV app yesterday as my brain was getting tired, by the time it had searched throuh 4500 files it had found over 150 instances of various versions of the GEzda worm which I now need to get rid off....

Unfortunately FPROT wontr remove it so will try AVG tonight...

Kernel.win32 is also infected and taking a wild guess if I delete that file the OS will kill itself and self destruct which I'm trying to avoid !!

Oh well, the joys of running an MS OS, why cant people see that UNIX/Linux is much more reliable and these days just as easy to use, plus the apps are now compatible with Word/Excel etc so no excuse for lack of compatability....

Whack on a clean install of XP mate!

Of course remember to backup import things such as the !Removed! archive! Though you should already have a raid setup as well as daily tape backups for things that are this important :D

-Z

Use Avast AntiVirus.

web_26.jpg

Absolute quality.

Free to use for home use (simple online registration which takes 1 minute).

Updates the virus definitions automatically.

Updates the program automatically.

Resident protection.

E-mail protection.

Download here!

Their web site.

:thumbsup:

I've put it on the last 25-30 PCs I've built for people. I wouldn't use anything else...

Doesn't suffer the loopholes that Symantec does.

...and NO. I don't have shares in the company! :P

the only problem with SP on the works laptop was that I couldnt access the internet, after changing the IP setting on the main server then I had no problems

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links