Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tuning For Mk1 Mr2

TAZ

Just like to know from ur ppl,

what iz the best exhaust and air filter to put on a MK1 MR2.

Many Thanks

TAZ

Taz,

I posted this question on another forum and got the following answer from Lauren (The Track Day Queen)...

She really know's Mk1's so thought this repsonse may be of use...

Best for what is the question?

Magnex/mongoose = best overall compromise ie good quality not too

loud low power gains.

Janspeed= better power and louder but maybe too loud for some tracks.

Airfilters:

J&R Filter (Fensport) similar to a K&N but doesn't whistle which

could be annoying. Sounds fab if you put it on the throttle body and

open the TVIS!

K&N great filter and sounds amazing if you mount it in the boot and

remove the piece of sponge over the wheel arch.

Ram-Air Foam: foam filters tend to be noisier, so more induction

noise. They also are a bit more fragile too. this one is overkill for

a MK1 tbh being a bit on the large side.

Blitz Mesh filter: Very expensive and I for one don't like the idea

of a steel mesh filtering the air as surely it can't stop as many

foreign particles as a paper or foam filter. Not worth it for MK1.

At the end of the day I paid £15 for an end of the line K&N and put

it in the boot. Cheap, but quality and a decent filter. I have used a

J&R, Ram-Air and of course the K&N.

HTH

Lauren

• 2 weeks later...

exhaust - Janspeed - NO. Do not get this pile of ****. I was refused entry to the track at japfest becuase my car was too loud. 106db at 4500rpm (limit is 100). It is just crap. full stop. too loud, and cheaply made. It has no flexi on the downpipe so keeps loosening the manifold to downpipe bolts. I am going to get a mongoose/magx soon or custom job, so if anyone does want a janspeed, ill have one for sale soon.

Air filter - the blitz rocks. I have one, sound is awesome. As for filtering qulities.. never mind. It is bad, but better then the hks. All the true jap tuners dont worry about using blitz and hks, so neither will I. K&N loses power on mr2 i was told (us model anyway). But yes the blitz is very very expensive, so it all depends what your busget is really.

Were you the red Mk1 NA going out around 13:26 ???

I was parked oposite you when you were getting tested, I got lucky with 97 & 96, still room to play with but close enough for my liking..

Could you not hire any mufflers for the day ?

Nope, i was up for one of the first sessions, 9.57 i think..... There were like 10+ mr2's the right of me tho, which was annoying. :D Went and got a muffler, but it didnt fit!!! Would have just and just passed as well. :( Oh well, i will sort the exhaust out, as i will be back for CCC and will be on track. :D

But yes it was a red mk1. And funny enough im sure i remember someone in a red mk2 looking over... Hmm, but it certainly wasant at lunchtime. Track session was 9.57. Red Mk1 on 16" superleggera's failing the noise test. lol

young looking with Dark hair if I recall correctly, yup that was me parked a long side....

Did you get on in the end ?

Yeah that sounds about right! lol. No didnt get on in end. :crybaby: So i am all fired up and ready for CCC. Well, im not, still trying to source some exhaust parts. I have a plan :rolleyes: .

For now i am just after some 2nd hand exhaust pieces - downpipe and back box.

Later on i will have a custom system, starting from the top, a 20valve tubular exhaust manifold, onto a custom downpipe. Finally a custom backbox (powerflow probably) with with exit pipes (either side), and to be quiet!! About 90db, and no more. :)

It didnt fit the tail pipe. Any i hate the janspeed anyway, as mentioned above. It really is just too loud for everyday use, so time for an improvement. :D

You still got your Mk1 mr2? Was speaking to a few mk1 owners (there stand was next to mine whicjh was handy). he has a magnex and put out about 88db. Sounds good to me, except i want to get away from the twin round pipes on one side.

the onoly decent exhausts I know are twin exits unfortunately, I suppose you could get a custom with a tail out of each side, would be nice if there was a bumper that would fit around those as well on the mk1...

I still have my mk1 waiting for new panels which are coming at the end of the month, then it's a quick sanbd down for the rougher areas and off to the paint shop :)

Yeah will probably get a custom powerflow back box. For the either side exit, i will be (hopefully) finding a scrap mr2 somewhere, cut out the exhaust exit curve (if you get what i mean) and weld it in the other side.

I was just gonna use the one down local scrappy.. Altho i have recently seeen two mk1's. Both red. One an 86, other an 88, both with f**ked engines, and both £200. lol

I have just be done over. lol. Damn jap prices. a pattern downpipe for my mr2, £120+VAT!!! genuine ones are about 180+VAT i think. Gits

Sorry mate. I'd love to buy an mr2 for spares, but at the moment, just have no where to put one. :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links