Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Car To Take To The "ring"

LORD_ED

19 members have voted

1. 1. What Car To Take To The "ring"

• Caterham
    • Celica

the chaiman of caterham was in my pub tonight havin a beer. got speaking to him about nurburg he asked bout my car and said what i wann ado to it to make it competative for the ring. and he said why not hire a caterham for the weekend will cost slightly less than th ework i wanna do

so what u think

btw a new caterhams coming out nxt year called slr (me thinks cant remeber) powered by a cossie lump and 0-6 in 3.1 secs me want

Nice.

Went out in the DAX Rush Megabusa not too long ago.

Hyabusa 1100cc bike engine, with titanium turbo off Lancer EVO VI RS (or GSR... can't remember).

770BHP per tonne.

At 1bar boost it will do 0-60 in 2.9.

At 1.5bar boost it will do 0-60 in 2.5.

I had to wear a crash helmet when we went out... it nearly threw me out of the back of the car! Unbelievable acceleration.

I'm saving up. It was the Holshott Racing one.

:ph34r:

competative for the ring.

Firstly no prize's are going to be awarded for you coming first out of us lot and you are never going to come close to local's that know the track like the back of their hand, also don't forget it cost's 175 euro's for the tow truck, up to a 1000 euro's for dumping oil on the track and 150 euro's for each metre of armco you hit and then you will have to arrange for your breakdown cover to tow you back to the UK and then claim off your insurance company to fix it. Not worth the hassle is it for coming in 15 to 60 secs later than you would have done if you drove within your limit's, by all mean's once you are happy and have been round a few time's then try and put yourself close to your driving limit's but never go over them as it get's a tad costly and the ring never take's no prisoner's :yes:

Secondly, instead of hiring a caterham all them mod's will be on your car adding bhp and improving the handling also hopefully pushing up the resale value slightly. The trip is about what you can do in your car not what you have hired so get that Celica booked in and see what you can do in her ;)

BTW a few month's ago i helped a mate build a caterham with a cossie engine in and what a laugh that is to drive, understeer, oversteer wombling free :lol: You go to change gear and it's 50/50 on which way the ***** is gonna swing out, tis a lovely feeling after you have changed your pant's and taken your heart attack pills :o

i voted cateram but ive changed my mind its a toyota meet and mite be a bad idea in a car you dont kow too well tryin to thrash it!

and the mods you do will stay on the car the driving a cateram wont last forever!

SO TAKE THE CELICA!

Celica, cause the mods will still be on your car (on a tow truck) when it comes back to the UK ..

The hire car has to go back.

I can't make my mind up either, I'll either take the supra, or the supra :thumbsup:

The celica, because your REALLLLLY not going to want to drive all that way in a caterham!!!

Funny you should mentiona caterham cossie, I very nearly got one a couple of years back, made the arrangements to collect it, but the deal fell through :crybaby: Gutted!!!

On another note about what Ken said, I am treating this as a spirited drive around an infamous track, -not a race. The chances are I'll be in the black car which I am so anal about I polish the inner arches, and the bits you can't even see in the engine bay... I SERIOUSLY don't want someone slamming into me!

Thats not a dig at anyone in specific at all, and of coure we can never account for other non toc members, (or the !Removed! bikers and that coach!). but lets be carefull folks!!!!

Out of interest what preperation is everyone doing? I'd reccomend people changing their brake fluid, preferably toa higher spec (dot5 etc)... don't want your old knackered stuff boiling on you!!! new oil and filters might bea good idea too...

Thats not a dig at anyone in specific at all, and of coure we can never account for other non toc members, (or the !Removed! bikers and that coach!). but lets be carefull folks!!!!

What happens if your screaming along at 140 and the !Removed! ring bus appears in front of you ?????? :eek:

not a good moment for your underwear....

J

Out of interest what preperation is everyone doing? I'd reccomend people changing their brake fluid, preferably toa   higher spec (dot5 etc)... don't want your old knackered stuff boiling on you!!! new oil and filters might bea  good idea too...

Be careful with the brake fluid - dot 5 is different to dot 3, 4, and 5.1 and is silicone based - which stops it absorbing water. The problem with dot 5 is that it compresses when it starts to reach it's boling point, so it's not the best stuff for use in high performance situations - dot5.1 should be used, which mixes well with dot 3 and 4 so it doesn't matter if there is a tiny bit left and it should be fresh before it's needed in a high performance situation.

Hope this helps - this is from my motorcycle experience but I presume it is the same for cars

Out of interest what preperation is everyone doing?

Extra pants .. taking the Xbox and PGR2 .. more beer money :yes:

Out of interest what preperation is everyone doing?

Extra pants .. taking the Xbox and PGR2 .. more beer money :yes:

Bibbs, you got any pointers for the ring ?

i cant afford to go with you lot at easter, but i'm most likely goin in august with the mr2oc,

is there anything more i need to know apart from what info is on the 'ring' website ?

ta

J

I'm certainly not racing.

Out of interest what preperation is everyone doing? I'd reccomend people changing their brake fluid, preferably toa  higher spec (dot5 etc)... don't want your old knackered stuff boiling on you!!! new oil and filters might bea  good idea too...

I've had it fully prepared by a back street mechanic I trust more than myself.

basically he put a magnify glass on every part of my car as well as changing all the fluids.

But just to be on the safe side i've still got it booked for another check over, a week before we go.

Believe me you dont want to be going on any track if you know theres something wrong with your car! :fear:

I'm probably going to go in the grey one now... thats had an engine in it for a couple of weeks and will be run in soon, the black one wonl;t have an engine in untill feb at least, I doubt it will be properly run in by then!

Between the two cars?

Not at all they are totally different! Grey one has more grunt, the black one is more nimble.. The 3.0 T seems more economical then the 2.0TT :o

Bibbs, you got any pointers for the ring ?

i cant afford to go with you lot at easter, but i'm most likely goin in august with the mr2oc,

is there anything more i need to know apart from what info is on the 'ring' website ?

Erm, loads .. first off, take it easy .. My first lap was mad, I was shaking at the end .. just drive dound and get a feel for it. You'll not remember every corner .. I'm told that is a 50 lap job.

Always hang over to the RHS down the straights that way peeps can overtake (on the left) without you having to swerve all over the place.

And when you think "just one more lap" - don't do it, as it's 14 miles and your mind will switch off half way round ..

Bibbs is a true expert when it comes to ring action :unsure:

I'm really looking forward too it!!! I did want to get on GT-4 just to get a vague idea of the track layout (understanding that it is by no means real, but knowing if its left of right next can only help!)

Do you have to wear a helmet? Are you allowed to have the roof off???

Erm, loads .. first off, take it easy .. My first lap was mad, I was shaking at the end .. just drive dound and get a feel for it. You'll not remember every corner .. I'm told that is a 50 lap job.

Always hang over to the RHS down the straights that way peeps can overtake (on the left) without you having to swerve all over the place.

And when you think "just one more lap" - don't do it, as it's 14 miles and your mind will switch off half way round ..

And make sure your BOV is on tightly or it may pop off :lol:

I agree with ben the first time you come off the track you will be shaking it's not like any track or road you have ever been on you will :censor: you pants. If you push your luck YOU WILL END UP CRASHING while we where there every lap we went out on someone crashed..... 911's, bmw's motorbikes.... :o

Ben and I had a couple of rather spirted runs round the ring, that was the most fun just following each other. It's not a race you will be overtaken and you will see golfs coming up behind a stupid speeds and you will have to move over.

Do you have to wear a helmet? Are you allowed to have the roof off???

I saw Morgans bombing around .. no helmets - it's an A road (tolled)

I agree with ben the first time you come off the track you will be shaking it's not like any track or road you have ever been on you will  :censor:  you pants. If you push your luck YOU WILL END UP CRASHING while we where there every lap we went out on someone crashed..... 911's, bmw's motorbikes.... :o

Ben and I had a couple of rather spirted runs round the ring, that was the most fun just following each other. It's not a race you will be overtaken and you will see golfs coming up behind a stupid speeds and you will have to move over.

It's a LOT more fun having "play" time .. look, you are not goping to set the world alight with your driving, you are not Mr Schumacher .. just enjoy the track, drive well within your limits and remember it's one of the most famous tracks in the world (and has killed more than any other).

:yes:

to true bibbs spoken like a true profesional. :P

I did want to get on GT-4 just to get a vague idea of the track layout (understanding that it is by no means real, but knowing if its left of right next can only help!)]

Same here, I used TOCA to learn Oulton Park and It does help. I think its out late Feb which isnt brilliant I know :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links