Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Turbo Vs Starlet Turbo

Markturbo

well a mate of mine has just bought a rare 1999 light weight model and he will want a race soon i just wanna know if i should win or will it be to close to call i have a rev2 turbo

it will be off the lights like a qurter mile race and maybe a bit of a tear up down a motor way

i have induction kit and zorst but flexi pipe is blowing but my downpipe is on its way

he has £2000 on supesion setup a jams ecu and zortst and induction kit i don't know what else

4wd should give him an advantage with the launch.

But as i've found, that doesnt mean zit when you've got an un-experienced driver in it.

Besides MR2 take off exectionally well I find.

People who race me, say that I actually jump like a frog off the line :blink:

and that theres bags of torque pulling me through the gears

are starlet turbo 4wd drive then well i will have to wait and see what happens but i have never seen a starlet turbo floor it in the flesh so i have no idea how fast they are and i have only heard different views

In a straight line you should leave him late 2nd gear... well.. thats what happend when i took one on a while back.. was modded but not sure how much...

My car was unmodified at the time and also running only 7.5Psi of boost due to a problem i had. I was pushin 237bhp when i took it on...

Let us know how the car fairs.. i think you should have him though.. although i was well impressed with the little thing... defo pocket rocket! :thumbsup:

Don't think i would stand a chance between Bibbs MR2 :(

Don't worry Shelly, you'd soon overtake me while I'm having to fuel up again .. :yes:

and you can get 3 peeps in your car .. I'd have to make shuttle runs :D

He asked about a Starlet Turbo.....are you guys all talking about a STARLET turbo!!??

The GT's weather it be a ep82 or ep91 they are FWD, AFAIA the only 4wd versions were the Reflet F. There is NO comparision between them and a MR2 turbo.......unless it is a well setup track car, and there are a few around. For drag racing they shouldn't stand a chance. FWD means even if it does have decent power it's gonna have some trouble getting it to the ground. The Glanza GT's I think weigh more than the earlier GT one's and afaia don't have anymore power....but look nicer ;)

I know of a few that have done the 3sgte transplant and there pretty sweet.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

He asked about a Starlet Turbo.....are you guys all talking about a STARLET turbo!!??

The GT's weather it be a ep82 or ep91 they are FWD, AFAIA the only 4wd versions were the Reflet F. There is NO comparision between them and a MR2 turbo.......unless it is a well setup track car, and there are a few around. For drag racing they shouldn't stand a chance. FWD means even if it does have decent power it's gonna have some trouble getting it to the ground. The Glanza GT's I think weigh more than the earlier GT one's and afaia don't have anymore power....but look nicer ;)

I know of a few that have done the 3sgte transplant and there pretty sweet.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Glad you said that Kiwi, I was beginning to find it hard to believe. I had a blast with a Glanza turbo on the way home from work. Could have been racing a 1.3 Yaris! I nearly pulled his windscreen out!

Could have been racing a 1.3 Yaris!  I nearly pulled his windscreen out!

What do you expect :lol:

The Toyota Starlet Glanza V is a 1.3 litre 2 door hatchback Turbo. It is part of the Starlet line but the Glanza shape was first released in 1996.

Engine 4E-FTE 1331cc DOHC 4cyl EFI-16-valve intercooled turbo engine

Power 100kW (133hp) @ 6400rpm

Torque 157nM @ 4800rpm

Weight 920kg approx

Speed 0-100kmh @ 8sec approx, 0-400m in 16sec approx

Boost Standard boost is 0.8 bar. Boost map sensor can read up to 1.2 bar approx

So what was all the cr*p earlier in this thread about?  :blink:

...is it me???

No idea , i think people get the idea that just because

its got a turbo in it its a really quick car and its a mr2 turbo racer.

hell a renault 5 gt turbo, has a turbo in it

but its only 120bhp which is pretty close

to this starlet engine.

im just tellin you my encounter... Like i said.. it was a modified Starlet Turbo.... and it kept up with me to 2nd gear... end of...

Thats the only encounter i had... admittedly when i say it kept up with me i got a cars length ahead of it in 1st and in 2nd left him.....

its a storming little car, but no comaprison to a 2 i would have thought?? :blink:

Yeah but you can't exactly compare a 1.3 to a 2.0 MR2 :P

again... When your chattin abotu modified cars.. you can compare anythign you want against each other.. :bookworm:

At TOTB3 there was a Mk1 Golf beating skylines... now in standard form you cant compare the two.. but in modifed form.. thats a different story...

but that golf was cheating; it had two engines. :P

I believe thats my point... MODS.. :P :lol: :D

At the end of the day there great little cars, hell we have a Glanza S for the missus!! (LOOKS like the GT Glanza but no hole in the bonnet buldge, and obviously no turbo)

They have a good power to weight ration & I reakon the Glanza's look mint done up :)

A nice littl turbo upgrade (CT26 seems resonably common) and a nice front mount intercooler and there a quick little number......just not in the same league as the MR2 :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links