Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Would You Be Prepaired To Do This....

ricomr2

doh!!

well basically its a guy's suggestion for getting the heater matrix out without taking the dash out.....

matrix_old.jpg

ack No i could never do that...  my eyes would water at the thought of cutting my sexy beast  :ph34r:

I think i'd just take the dash out :eek:

Looking at that pick if it was leaking from in there you'd be hard pushed to find it..... makes me think of andygt :(

think its a cheaper way to fix "THE PIPES FROM HELL" if its the pipe leadin from the matrix back to the radiator thats leakin then u could do this and bypass it, i would still never do that though!

just realised its a mk 1 so it'll prob be diff for mk 2, ah well

read properly and so u can do it to a mk 2, anyone lend me a hacksaw? :lol:

lol... here's how he /she descibes the job incase someone wants to pin it! :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a different way to replace your heater matrix in your MK1. The normal way is to remove the entire dash which takes a good 3 hours, remove the heater matrix slot the new one in then spend another 3 hours putting the dash back together and wondering why you still have a pile of screws.

As it happens after taking my entire dash out the first time round to get to a good condition matrix, I realised the the matrix simply slots into the back of the heater housing with just a couple of retaining screws that hold it in. So i figured that why not cut a hole in the front bulkhead and simply pull out the heater matrix through the bulkhead, slot the new one in and sorted!

Firstly i disconnected the hoses and then marked out where i would need to cut the hole in the front bulkhead.

Then armed with a 4" grinder i set about cutting out the hole. Its a bit tricky in places to do and you need to get the fusebox and vacuum piping out of the way first, but after chewing on a few hot filings the hole was cut. I should point out that because the heater matrix currently in situ was no good i tended to bend the pipes according to where i needed to get the grinder. The metal isn't that thick and the grinder goes through pretty easily. There is some sound deadening and stuff immediately behind the bulkhead but it doesn't seem to catch fire and handily the the heater matrix itself is a good 2-3" behind the bulkhead so there's no way you will damage the housing.

I wouldn't say its the neatest hole tbh and i probably cut it slightly bigger than i needed to, but really i followed the contours of the bulkhead.

And just as i thought undo the two retaining screws, one holding the matrix into the housing and the other around the left pipe and it pulls out. Slot the new one in, connect it up to the pipes and away you go.

In all honesty you could do it in 20mins if you are good. Would say 30-40mins is more realistic only because the hoses are a bit of a pain to get off the pipes.

Refilled the system ran it up to temp and hot air!

all i need to do now is make up an ally plate to go over the hole. The crappy plastic trim totally covers it so its not like its highly visible really.

hahahahaha LMFAO   

thats Lauren from IMOC by the way

Not meaning to be cheeky or slate the person in question but i found it funny... ;)

Not meaning to be cheeky or slate the person in question but i found it funny... ;)

haha yeah so did I :lol: im still laughing now lol

I was just saying its a woman not a man as some of the replys thought.... ;)

Surely by cutting a large hole in the bulk head it would weaken the car

in the event of a crash??

well, all respect due for doing this..

perhaps not the most sensible thing, cutting through one of the major parts of the chassis... but oh well..

haha yeah so did I :lol: im still laughing now lol

I was just saying its a woman not a man as some of the replys thought.... ;)

Erm, ther *was* a debate about that too ..

Not sure on the truthfulness of the Mirror, but :

(and there was also a 'dig' in a copy of Banzai reicently)

drag.jpg

in Banzai they had a he/she comment .. I dunno about it, I've not spoken to Lauren in ages (about 3 JAE's ago) ..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links