Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Car

podgey

i tried today to see if the  pipe giong from the actuator to the vsv was cut, but its reaaly hard to see i had to feel down with my finger, as there was no room. i think its conected as i cant feel it flapping about. looks like im going to have to take it to a garage. dont suppose anyone knows a good garage to take it to in tyne + wear?

You sure it's not just the dizzy/rotor/plugs or leads worn out? You can lose boost if any of these are suspect.

Joe

What revison of mr2 do you have

differnt revisons have differnt standard boost levels

your gauge will alwys read negative when at idle (vacume)

1.0 bar of boost is 14.8 psi i think  <_<

we are talking about an after market boost gauge here arent we !!! not that piece of junk in the dash!!! :yes:

1.0 bar is 14.5 psi......type I & II MR2 turbos should have boost between about 7 psi - 11 psi, 11.? is the fuel cut. Type III had the increase to 13 psi standard & 18.? psi fuel cut.

if 1.0 bar is 14.8psi does that mean 0.5 bar is 7 psi

0.5 bar is 7.25 psi. Basicly your running the lowest setting possibe, as already mentioned it sounds like you vsv has been dis-abled keeping you in low boost mode.

1992 was the change over year for rev 1 to rev 2.

not sure if the boot level changed between these two, or if it ws only onto the rev 3, ill have to have a look.

Boost is the same between the 1st & 2nd revisions :)

The vsv......here's a little run down:

The T/VSV (Turbocharger Vacuum Switching Valve) is a "factory-installed boost controller". It is simply a solenoid-operated valve that, when energized (open) allows air to escape from the actuator, lowering the pressure in the actuator, and allowing the wastegate to modulate closed. This vented air actually flows back into the intake airstream between the airflow meter and the turbo intake so it does not distort the ECU's air/fuel ratio calculations.

The T/VSV is a normally closed-energized open valve. The ECU will energize (open) it whenever you boost IF 1) engine coolant temps are up to normal , and 2) ambient (intake) air temps are above ~ 32 deg F. (There may be some variation with that number).

NOTE: Unless you have an aftermarket boost controller, disabling the T/VSV will lock you into low-boost mode!! It WILL NOT increase boost.

The normal range of max boost ranges from 7.1 to 11.8 psi, according to the Factory Repair Manual (BGB). Low boost problems are almost always a result of some problem in the boost control system and rarely with the turbo itself.

If I were you I would ALSO replace the ignition components.....unless your 100% the previous owner did recently?? Leads & plugs etc. etc.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

mr2_tvsv.jpg

thanks guys, its great that everyone is so helpful, im just learning as this is my first mr2 and havent had anything to do with turbos before, and to think its going to be even faster when i get it sorted.il take it to a garage next week. thanks again for all you help..p

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links