Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Repair Advice Please

jf2404

Hi all.

I've got a 53 reg T3 yaris, and i know bug*er all about repairs and the working of the car.

I have had some damage in the recent weather, i have 2 50p size (slightly bigger) dents on the bonnet with loads of scratches on the bonnet also, 1 scuff on the bumper just above the plate, 1 50p size dent on the roof (on the drivers side inline with the seatbelt) and 1 50p size dent on the driver side above the back window.

Now i have been quoted £922 from Toyota to fix it, but i have been quoted £80 from a local body repair place.

I know the £80 would not replace the bonnet like toyota probably would, but the £80 people said they will probably "fill them in" what does this mean and if it's like filler stuff, would that come away in the future ?

Any advice or info would be great

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

sounds dodgey to me. try dent master or chips away they are normally good, make sure you inspect the paint in good light after tho.

Filling in usually means that they'll pull the main dent part out first, then paint lots of layers to 'fill' the hole. Toyota's price is extortionate, but they will most likely be replacing panels, however, as a few people on here have found out, it's much better to go to a local garage as toyota are known for c0cking things up!

Erm, £80 does sound a bit cheap, but it could just be that they are cheap! If you enter a contract though, whereby both parties are in agreement that the finished product will be perfect in the owners eyes for a period od say 6 months, then if they mess it up, you can sue them for poor worksmanship.

Cool, i said i'd like it to look new and he said it will and £80 was the price.

Toyota are just taking the mick lol , it was £460 for labour , £350 for paint (more than the whole extra metallic paint pack in the first place) £111 for parts and for some reason they had the cheek to add £5 for miscilanious lol.

111 for parts? they wont be replacing the bonnet then!!

For only £80 give it a try!

And the £5 misc they added is for sandpaper/masks etc. its common practice in the motor trade.

I am gonna go with the £80, i just wasn't sure what the "filling in" bit was, and if it caves in or flakes off in the future.

If it gets filled in and stays filled in then happy days

and the £80 is probably cheap coz i'm in the North east UK, the poor part lol, probably be x 4 or 5 down south.

I am gonna go with the £80, i just wasn't sure what the "filling in" bit was, and if it caves in or flakes off in the future.

If it gets filled in and stays filled in then happy days

and the £80 is probably cheap coz i'm in the North east UK, the poor part lol, probably be x 4 or 5 down south.

Toyota would probaly do a great job but their prices are horrendous. I was quoted around £400 for a six inch scratch and that was a year ago. It's still there. I wasn't prepared to pay one twentieth of the whole car's value (when bought) for a scratch.

At £80 I'd give those guys a chance.

By the way, where did you park it to get all that damage, in a scrapyard during a gale?

Hope they do a good job for you.

I hope they do a good job too :D

I parked it where i normally do, just it happened to be the only night where we have hurricane force winds and some tiles came off the house and hit the car, also it's an old farm house so the gutters are pot some of them also hit it . my insurance excess is £250 so even if he does a super dooper job and charges more aslong as it's less than £250 i'll be happy, i'm clinging onto my 6 years no claims :D

but the £80 people said they will probably "fill them in"  what does this mean and if it's like filler stuff, would that come away in the future ?

Yup, filler, and alot of it..

Filler can crack, flake off.. I wouldnt expect filler to stay perfect for longer than 2yrs.. :(

What would be better options to fix it ?

Permanently / 4-6 years

I just want it to look new, want it to last atleast 5 years (when i can sell it) and be cheaper than £250.

If you can tell me what will need doing then maybe i can go back and say how much for it to be done like this and not just filled in.

The dents need professionally pulling, then re-spraying several times until it's done and clear. That's as good as new.

Have you tried Dentmasters or similar? There are folk here that are really impressed the jobs they've had done by them (bad English, but I can't be bothered sorting it :) ).

A

I am kinda in the same situation as I put a horrible dent and scraped some paint on my passenger side door on my 04 plate T3 which I need to get sorted..I dread to think what Toyota will charge :ffs:

I fear that the damage shown on those photos is going to be beyond the scope of Dentmaster.

I would also be rather wary of the £80 quote to repair that amount of damage. :(

Suddenly the toyota quote is looking more realistic! Or maybe not... those dents and scratches are pretty bad, maybe around £300 would be reasonable.

P.S. You picked the best colour!! :thumbsup:

So far i've got the toyota quote of £1,100, the £80 and a £180 quote, the £180 quote they said they would fill in the back roof dent, they would do something with the rust and paint over ??, and the dents on the bonnet will be pulled out and painted.

Sounds ok to me, apart from the big dent on the bonnet has a pannel underneath it where no "rod" can be put in to push the dent out, so he said he would have to drill under the dent and then push it out, does that sound right ?

Get it done quick .....before it rusts away ;)

Just hopping back in I see that the damage is waaay to great for an £80 job. Forget what I said before about going for it, please!

Like I told you. Toyota wanted £400 for one scratch on my car so your quote from them is probably about right.

Seveer mentioned pulling the dents. That's how I think they'll need to be done. Some use a vacuum system, I think, that pulls out the dent as the air behind the dent literally pushes the metal out Others drill a hole in centre of dent and insert a tool which is then pulled on to remove the dent. This will then need filling.

Go and try a few other people if poss and get a few quotes and more explanation of what they would actually do. I've a sneaking suspicion that the best results in this case probably would be from the Mr T job though!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links