Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Automatic Gearbox

Chris&Dani

:cacker:

gearbox doesnt always work properly. it doesnt always go into overdrive and sometimes doesnt come out of overdrive. it works properly when i turn off the ignition quickly whilst going along and then it works again for a while.

Any ideas what it could be?

many thanks :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

I have exactly the same problem and tried what you said about the ignition, and it worked for a little while like you said.

I have done the gearbox fluid, checked for fault codes, nothing. Then what you said made me think and I reckon i've cracked it...here goes,

my car is a jdm import so is used to 100 octane petrol.

If I put unleaded petrol in (our local garage doesnt sell super) then it 'pinks' like crazy. The knock sensor tells the ECU to !Removed! the timing. The knock continues - so the timing retards until the ECU reaches 'safe mode' and dwitches off the O/D - just like when its on cold running mode in the morning. (no O/D till 51 deg coolant temp etc) and so as it reaches this point (1/4 temp gauge) it works fine.

In safe mode it also tries to pull away in a high gear instead of L - and crawls slowly into speeding traffic! I have to ram it into L and change gear myself if this happens (and it does it when the O/D stops working!!!)

Then when it reaches operating temp the enrichment switches off and the pinking begins. The longer I drove, the less time the O/D worked after blipping the ignition. It pinks a bit on Super too, because its still only 97 octane, and the pinking is worst on a light to moderate throttle so if its caned from warm up, then it doesnt pink on larger throttle openings so the O/D tends to work for quite a while.

I'm going to get the timing set for unleaded and I reckon that will cure it for good. Maybe cooler grade of plugs etc. hope this helps cos i've been scratching my head over this! Let me know?

omg i just noticed the date of this post hehehehe! damn im back in 2005!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! they probably dont have the car by now....

omg i just noticed the date of this post hehehehe! damn im back in 2005!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! they probably dont have the car by now....

lol ;)

I'd be a bit worried if your car is pinking on Super anyway, I'm sure someone can confirm that most import MR2s don't? My JDM Supra doesn't that's for sure :P Probably worth getting the timing checked out.

Hi mate, cheers!

Yeah I know its !Removed! annoying. And it causes those symptoms im sure (safe mode etc).

Will have to get it sorted this week.

Hiya,

I just joined the TOC. MR2OC is my other haunt since recently getting a G-LTD about a month ago.

I have had the exact same symptoms the guy in the first post but didn't read the date before i answered lol.

Anyway - it was drivin me nuts the auto gearbox thing, only now I reckon its because it pinks so badly. So timing next, ecu reset and i hope all will be well everywhere. :o)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links