Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Remove Mk2 Steering Wheel W/airbag

Smitters

Firstly - the problem:

When the car wheels are straight, the wheel is about 5 degrees off centre to the left, which is pretty annoying - I only just bought the car, so am not sure how it got like that, however, no huge chunks out of alloys, and all body panels look in good nick, so probably not hammered into tree or similar. Also, doesn't pull when braking, limited play in wheel (is '96er so allow for some aging!) and runs pretty straight when "no-handed".

So, the question: Firstly, any suggestions why!

Secondly: Could I just whip the wheel off and turn it round a few notches to straighten it up - pro's and cons please!

Thirdly: (stay with me here - this is the meat of it!) How the heck do you get the wheel off. Not too keen on levering around an airbag and having a flathead surgically implanted in my head in comedy car thief stylee!

Cheers all

Whats happened is that someone has adjusted the front wheel tracking. They have adjusted it on one side only which brings the wheels into correct alignment but offsets the steering wheel.

In thoery removing an airbag steering wheel should be left to professionals, but you can do it yourself, just handle it carefully.

You need to disconnect the Battery before you start, leave it for a few minutes too. On the underneath of the spokes you will find the fixings for the airbag module, if you undo those the module will lift away from the wheel enough for you to disconnect the wires. After that removing the wheel is the same as removing any other wheel.

the bigest problem is horn wiring, the ring under the wheel have several lines, not only for horn ground buth more lines for air-bag. most of steering whel lugs using only one line for horn, so it must be somehow over bridget, I made few modifications on that ring, so you can turn normaly wheel and use horn...

rest of procedure Kelvyn described

3.JPG

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links