Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Belt Change Advice Required

obsidian

I've got about 82K miles on my 'rolla, bought it at about 78K. It's an 1.6 E10 cdx, post facelift model.

Now my old rolla, an E9, required to have the belts changed at 100 K km. Also had the 4afe engine. Had the belt changed, no problems.

I had a hunt in the service records this evening, and even though it's all been done by Toyota, there's no mention of any belt changes.

So now I'm worried that I've done 20K-odd miles on an old belt. Am I correct in assuming that the E10 needs belt-change at 100K km or 60K miles?

And what's the damage of not doing the change?

I'm thinking of getting all filters etc replaced, and a new belt. How can I see if it's been changed?

Someone put my mind at rest... :huh: :!Removed!:

Age is also a factor on Cambelts if you don't do high millage.

The service books recommend 60,000 miles (100,000 Kilometres) for PETROL vehicles (4EFE, 4AFE & 4AGE). 4AGE engines have sometimes had 80,000 recomendations!

I do not know recommendations for Diesel powered corollas.

However if the vehicle has not had a belt change for 6 years regardless of whether it's done many miles then the belt must be changed anyway.

Personally I'd get yours changed as soon as possible with a belt bought from Toyota (and not a pattern part. I know some people will say genuine and 'pattern' parts are the same but for the sake of £15 extra i'd buy genuine when it's something like this.)

On my Corollas I have the belts changed every 5 years (to be on safe side). I go one age of belt because I do not do the miles.

Thanks for the response.

I'll book my baby in for a seeing-to ASAP, I think it would be wise to do that anyway, even if it was changed and not recorded.

cheers. :thumbsup:

Given its age, I would have it changed. My '93 7A-FE has had its cambelt changed twice, at 60,000 mi and at 120,000 mi. Had the water pump changed as well at 120,000, since the garage said they would install it for no additional labour charge, just the cost of the water pump. What made me decide to do the water pump is that the water pump had sprung a leak at 42,000 miles and was replaced under warranty (in the U.S., we get a 3 year/36,000 mile comprehensive "bumper-to-bumper" warranty and a 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty... plus my aunt had purchased an 8 year/100,000 mile extended warranty when she bought the car). On the other hand, my mum's '96 Lexus LS400 recommended the cambelt be changed at 90,000 miles, and my brother's '00 Tacoma V6 (3.4-litre 5VZ-FE, used in the Colorados there) recommended 60,000, but the '98-'99 versions of the same truck recommended 90,000 also.

ive never actually tested this, but ive heard that if the belt does snap on a 4A engine, then it doesn't actually do any damage. except that the car will stop, obviously and you'll need to change the belt. something about them being a non-interference engine. don't quote me though! :D

ive never actually tested this, but ive heard that if the belt does snap on a 4A engine, then it doesn't actually do any damage. except that the car will stop, obviously and you'll need to change the belt. something about them being a non-interference engine. don't quote me though!  :D

I forgot to mention... the timing belt did snap on my mum's '92 SXV10 Camry about a week after purchase with 105,000 miles on the clock. No damage, just towed it to the dealer to get the timing belt replaced... previous owner hadn't bothered, though was meticulous about everything else on the car... go figure. However, I have heard of at least two 5M-GE Cressidas that suffered broken valves and such when the timing belt broke... the 4A-FE should be just fine if the belt does decide to give out. I've heard of Toyota timing belts breaking anywhere from 65,000 miles to 150,000 miles... I wouldn't trust one that long here in California... our high concentration of ground-level ozone eats rubber, vinyl, and such.

Even though it sounds low-risk to keep driving with it, I'll have to get it sorted soon. Don't want to be stuck somewhere and face the brunt of abuse when friends see a 'rolla on the hard shoulder.

Thanks for the tips chaps. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links