Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What To Buy

ghecko

Hi all new here and I'd be grateful for any advice.

I'm looking to pick up and MR2, initially I was after a turbo but the insurance costs are through the roof.

I've been looking at the other models to build up some NCB before moving onto the turbo versions.

I see that there are loads of UK types, and wondered if anyone could help me out with whats the best to get - highest bhp etc without going for the turbo version.

Thanks guys.

I guess you want a mkII. Anything '94+ has about the same bhp. The difference isnt noticeable. Then its really down to how much you want to spend.

Mines a uk N/A gt t_bar which is wicked in summer when the roof comes off but not so good in winter imo. Many can leak although mines not bad. I'd defo stick with the t-bar though. If your getting an N/A, id go uk rather than import.

The revisions change slightly from 94-96 (rev3) to 97-98(rev4 which mine is) and 99+ (rev5) but obviously the newer you go the more it costs. If i'd had more money id have bought a rev5 cos i liked the styling but its down to taste.

If you look on autotrader you can see the diff styles and price so make a pick! Whichever you get, you'll love it! Theres also lots of posts on this subject if you do a search.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Thanks Cmaster - Yeah I've noticed that they differences in price can be real big, to be honest I'm not looking at spending too much as I'm not that rich at the moment, Around the £3500-£4000 mark

Would you say the T Bar is deffinitely better than the non - also what sort of mileage is too much there's quite a few on over 90,000 which to me seems far to high - but then I've found others that are say 50,000 miles around the same price as a 90,000 which is real strange to me.

My main concern is that I'm after the quickest out of non the non turbo versions, and I've heard that some are only around the 120 bhp then 150 then 172 bhp is this determined on the model version as they all seems to be 2.0 litre on the ads.

Hi, a mate of mine has an n/a for sale, its an M reg with a few subtle engine mods

to give it a mapped 200bhp (chart available)

M reg is rev 3 and imo is the best revision to go for.

Its well within your budget mate.

Pm me if it sounds interesting and i'll put you in touch with him

Revision info

No doubt someone will correct me on this if I'm wrong but...

the 120bhp version of the sw20 was only available in the US.

rev1-3 are about 150bhp

rev4-5 are about 170bhp

(though the earlier revisions are slightly faster)

Okay, I'll correct myself before anyone else does!

The rev1 was 120

(plus it looks a bit odd with those tiny little wheels and no rear spoiler).

The 120bhp model was the very first model available...

It had the 3s-fe engine and was available in the uk.

Rev 1-2 are 158bhp

rev3 + are 172bhp i think

Hi, a mate of mine has an n/a for sale, its an M reg with a few subtle engine mods

to give it a mapped 200bhp (chart available)

M reg is rev 3 and imo is the best revision to go for.

Its well within your budget mate.

Pm me if it sounds interesting and i'll put you in touch with him

Revision info

Thanks for the info chaps - this car does sound interesting however the mods to the engine wouldn't that hike up the insurance - hence my reason for not going to turbo route just yet.

One other question on the Revisions - looking at the ads, none of them say what rev they are - so hows the best way to tell - by year made etc..

Also any views on the mileage whats considered too high for around the £3500 -£4000 mark

Hi ghecko. Welcom to TOC.

When your looking at the MR2'S the easiest way to define between a REV 2 and a REV3 are the rear spoiler and rear lights. Rear spoiler on a rev 2 is like this

rev2.JPG

and REV 3 is like this

rev3b.jpg

Notice the lights and spoiler on the REV 3. If you were looking at one and the rear lights look different then it's a REV 1 or REV2.

Rev 4's had darker looking wheels and clear indicators

Rev 5'S (SEE MY SIGNATURE) had a big spoiler and 16" wheels

To give you a guidaence on price I got a Rev 2 GT-TBAR with all accessories reciepts and a full toyota service history with 83,000 miles for £3000 so you should be in a good position to get a good REV 3 with that sort of money

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

My preference is a REV2 , because ya dont have to worry about the mot

so you can slap on a decat without worries!

and if its a turbo a downpipe :D

Cheers G200 excellent pictured examples :)

The one you bought on 83,000 do you consider that sort of mileage to be reasonable - or look for something more around 60,000 as ideally I'd like to keep for say a year then move on to the turbo version..

I've seen a few over the 100,00 mark but to me thats a bit over the limit for selling on again for any resonable cash..

The one you bought on 83,000 do you consider that sort of mileage to be reasonable - or look for something more around 60,000 as ideally I'd like to keep for say a year then move on to the turbo version..

I've seen a few over the 100,00 mark but to me thats a bit over the limit for selling on again for any resonable cash..

If you look at it this way average mileage a year is between 10,000 and 12,000 so my car is late 1993 so say 11 years the miles should have been in excess of 100,000.but mine are only 83,000 and i have a full dealer history to back that up so i think i got a pretty reliable motor.

I wouldn't consider 80-90,000 miles that much on a toyota cause at the end of the day they are built to last but if you can get one with lower miles and history to back it up then go for it. Would be a much better buy! :thumbsup:

and if its a turbo a downpipe  :D

Have to say I agree :thumbsup:

If your only keeping it for about a year, i guess ur not doing too many mods so the mot would not be a prob. I much prefer rev3 onwards, and you get the highest standard bhp. The rev 4 dropped a bit but you cant tell. As i said, its down to taste. i doubt you'll get a good rev5 for ur budget or a decent rev4, but a good rev3 is possible for 4k.

I really dont like the spoiler on the rev2, and rev3 lights are best by far imo. Anyway, pick your favourite style, and then just shop around for the best quality, best condition, cleanest example you can find with the lowest mileage for your budget. Then you know uv got a good deal! Also, find out what work has been done. at 60K its about time for cam belt changes, timing kits etc!!! Dont want them going wrong and you want to be spending as little as poss in the year you have it.

I'd also reccommend getting it from a dealer if its your first one, but either way, look at all the buying guides before you do, they help immensely.

As for t-bar, i absolutely would not go without it, even with its niggles. Sets it apart in the summer and really turns heads. You wouldnt regret having it, might regret not. I think t-bar always wins in polls on here! Let us know wot u get mate :thumbsup:

What do Type V's go for over there?? I have just found a 1999 Beams Type V here in NZ (VERY rare) going for 5,651 GBP's, that's $15,000 NZD's which is really very cheap....wondering if I should trade in the GT-S and get it!! :ph34r:

Cheers KiwiMR2

For £3500-4000 you should be able to get a Rev3 in good condition with decent mileage (less than 70k miles). I'd go for a jap import model coz you get more extras such as air con, electric folding mirrors and steering front fogs. Many also come with nice jap exhausts and big wheels.

For £3500-4000 you should be able to get a Rev3 in good condition with decent mileage (less than 70k miles). I'd go for a jap import model coz you get more extras such as air con, electric folding mirrors and steering front fogs. Many also come with nice jap exhausts and big wheels.

Great stuff guys thanks for all this info much appreciated.

If I go for a Jap Import won't that really bump up the price of the insurance, thats why I can't go for the turbo at the mo as its an import.

and if its a turbo a downpipe  :D

Have to say I agree :thumbsup:

I'm probably being stupid - but I don't understand this part :)

Rev 2 is up to 1993, and all cars after april '93 have to have a cat fitted by law

Just means if your had a de-cat and it was a 93 on model, you would have to re-fit the cat at mot time.

Ps. The mods to my mates car are an exhaust, air filter and dastek chip

Mileage is pretty low too but not sure what...

here's a pic...

cruise-13.jpg

and one of the wheels...

cruise-28.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links