Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

G'box Oil

dudeone

Hi all,

I have been having some problems with the gears on my tubby, I have now taken the first steps to locate the problem and I need some input.

I have drained the gearbox and re-filled it with semi synthetic; I will re-do this with full synthetic when I have resolved my problems but in the mean time ive gone semi, anyway when we drained the oil we noticed that it was around half to three quarter of a litre over filled.

So my question is would this have caused my problems when selecting gears??

A brief outline of my problem:

Going from 4th to 5th at speed (nr flat out) you get a grinding noise when it does go into 5th it also does the same if I just try to change quickly into 5th.

Solved problem:

So far I am now able to get lower gears when going down the ratio, previously it was hard to select first unless nearly stopped, since the oil change this has helped a lot and first is easier selected, most other gears also feel less notchy.

So :help: please

Cheers Dave

sounds like the 5th gear synchro is on its way out. what grade of oil did you use? should be 75/90 GL5

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links