Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla 1.8 Gxi

ghost_master

Hi

Anyone got a Corolla 1.8 GXi?

Not got a Corolla yet but i did test drive a 94 Corolla 1.8 GXi & found it OK performance. according to Autocar & motors yrs ago when it went on sale 'more of a warm hatch'??

Anyway last yr i tested out a Corolla 1.6 GTi-16 & i think the Corolla GTi handles/ performance better than the 1.8 GXi. Did the Corolla 1.8 GXi replaces the 1.6 GTi back in 1992?

I got the impression that toyota engines that ends in 'GE' are better performance than toyota engines that end in 'FE' the corolla GTi engine is a 4A GE whereas the 1.8 GXi is a 7A FE, & Carina 2.0 GLi is a 3S FE but Carina GTi is a 3S GE & i know other toyotas overseas like the Mark II has better peformance if the engine ends in GE rather than FE.

Lastly i notice on lots of website/forums that there is LOTS of tuning options for the corolla GTi but not really much for the 1.8 GXi

Cheers.

the GXi was never a direct replacement for the GTi. as a result its not really that sporty. like you say, its ok, but its not really designed to be quick. you're right about the "FE" and "GE" designations. its the nearest thing you'll get to a performance version of the AE101 (except if you buy an imported FX-GT, which has the 20v 4-AGE).

there is someone on here with a GXi, but ive forgot their name. im sure whoever it is can help you more :thumbsup:

Hi ghost_master,

I've had a 1.8gxi since 1996 and you're probably right - it's more of a warm hatch as many hot hatches of that time fell victim to high insurance premiums and introduction of catalytic convertors didn't help performance.

I've also owned the original GT and GT-i models and found them to be probably quicker but the torque and power is lower down on the gxi so you don't have to rev it as hard - I always felt the standard Gt-i ran out of steam once you hit 4th gear.

Anyway, I've always had the Corolla hot hatches because there are not many around and they are always ultra-reliable - not because they are the quickest around.

I've now got a T-sport so it has a lot to live up to!!

Cheers :thumbsup:

ghost_master Posted Jan 28 2005, 07:15 PM

Hi

Anyone got a Corolla 1.8 GXi?

Not got a Corolla yet but i did test drive a 94 Corolla 1.8 GXi & found it OK performance. according to Autocar & motors yrs ago when it went on sale 'more of a warm hatch'??

Anyway last yr i tested out a Corolla 1.6 GTi-16 & i think the Corolla GTi handles/ performance better than the 1.8 GXi. Did the Corolla 1.8 GXi replaces the 1.6 GTi back in 1992?

JT Posted Jan 28 2005, 08:16 PM

the GXi was never a direct replacement for the GTi. as a result its not really that sporty. 

mark18gxi Posted Jan 28 2005, 10:53 PM

I've had a 1.8gxi since 1996 and you're probably right - it's more of a warm hatch as many hot hatches of that time fell victim to high insurance premiums and introduction of catalytic convertors didn't help performance.

I've also owned the original GT and GT-i models and found them to be probably quicker but the torque and power is lower down on the gxi so you don't have to rev it as hard - I always felt the standard Gt-i ran out of steam once you hit 4th gear.

Hi there,

The 1.8 GXI (AE101) and G6R (AE111) were never replacements for the GT and GTi models, however the T Sport of today I believe will be more than a replacement due to it's higher brake horsepower etc. Toyota have finally got a modern day equivalent and more...but ...I have heard on this forum of build quality issues.

However there is an advantage the GXi (and G6R, due to being so young) has over most of the GT and GTi's ...They won't be a riddled with rust :D .

Thankfully I have used Waxoil (and old engine oil) in box sections and on the underside on my GTi since I had it when it was 4 years old back in 1993; it appears to have payed dividends.

Personnally my only complaint with the 1.8 GXI was the interior, I didn't think it was as well 'Kitted out' inside as the GTi. I looked at one at a dealership in 1996 but ended up keeping my GTi. I thought the GXi looked great from the outside with it's side skirts etc.

For the money they go for now and the fact a lot have been well cared for I'd say a 1.8GXi would be a good choice today, it's sporty (but didn't attract boy racers) and doesn't seam to suffer from rust like the earlier GT & GTi's.

Good luck

JT Posted Jan 28 2005, 08:16 PM

there is someone on here with a GXi, but ive forgot their name. im sure whoever it is can help you more 

I believe there are two: MSC KEV and MOD MASTER, both have very impressive and superbly modified examples; a real credit to their hard work and effort.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links