Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Road Angel , Snooper Etc

BLOODUK

How many of you mr2 drivers have snoopers or road angels, i dont have any points on my licence but im rather concerned about the increase in speed traps in this area. Supposed to be ACCIDENT BLACK SPOTS, ye right :rolleyes:

Thing is i got a downpipe to be fitted on tuesday, which means i cant afford a road angel,snooper till the month after. Not sure if i should ditch the downpipe and get a road angel,snooper fitted instead. Yet it took me a month to get the downpipe as they didnt have any in stock at the time hmmm

:wacko::wacko:

Reason i ask is , my dad mentioned that on the way to the shops about 1hr ago he saw a police car with radar gun... Problem is this was the very road i was travelling about 2hrs before hand and doing ermmm over the speed limit, Its a dual carrageway coming off a motorway yet when i was going down the road i didnt see any police car or man holding a gun. Dad said on the way back the police car was gone.

i read last week in the pAper those things are going through government now and are set to be illegal , carrying a ban if caught using one. ROTTERS :ffs:

i read last week in the pAper those things are going through government now and are set to be illegal , carrying a ban if caught using one. ROTTERS  :ffs:

thats only radar DETECTORS - the road angel does not DETECT radar signals, its use a GPS system and database of known accident blackspots.

I have the road angel 2 hard wired in my car - and its a nice piece of kit.

Easy to use, update,note new cameras etc.

Its also a nice size to take off the windscreen and store in the arm rest / glovebox / cubbyhole.

Heres a pic of it in the car

Bluetooth_Install_016.sized.jpg

Could always hide it , wouldnt you have to stop everyone to see if they got one?  :o

wouldn't work if it was hidden - needs to be in a position where it can see the satellites.

I wantedto put mine where the ash tray is - so it just popped open when I wanted to use it - but it wouldn't have gotten a signal there.

I think i might get this Laser Alert , because in the past its those damn vans and hand held guns that do me in, i dont drive enough to go through gatso's etc

I think i might get this Laser Alert , because in the past its those damn vans and hand held guns that do me in, i dont drive enough to go through gatso's etc

only problem with laser detectors is simple physics.

lookup the difference between the speed of light and the speed of sound :thumbsup:

A copper can lock the laser on your car quicker than the beep will reach your ears from the unit - and quicker than you can react to reduce your speed.

The Laser Alert is also a detector - see the post by maleborn above about moves to make detectors illegal

True but i need something to detect those damn hand helds and give me the chance to slow down , i know i shouldnt be speeding but how many times have people just been slightly over the limit, i got done once because i didnt realise i was still doing 50 from this duel carrageway that went into a 40.

edit : seems as if your saying radar detectors are useless, sell me one for less than £50 :lol:

didnt know that matthew but i do now, thanks.

This so called ban has been "going to happen" for a long time ( years ) and as yet every time they tried they have failed. It is not expected to see a ban enforced on GPS Based systems such as Road Angel, Snooper S3 and S4. As we understand it only the following MAY be banned...Radar Detectors and Laser Jammers. IF laser detectors are also restricted we have heard that the GPS systems will remain ok and have a firmware or disabling function will be provided by the manufacturers for the laser so they can still be used.

True but i need something to detect those damn hand helds and give me the chance to slow down , i know i shouldnt be speeding but how many times have people just been slightly over the limit, i got done once because i didnt realise i was still doing 50 from this duel carrageway that went into a 40.

thats not slightly over - thats 25% over the limit

with regards to handheld lasers - slow down is probably the best answer :thumbsup:

or - spend money on a detector that may become illegal, and hope that it picks up enough of a scaterring signal from vehicles in front to warn you.

Hmmm i was considering getting a laser detector for myself , atleast until my dad buys this road angel 2... he has nearly 9 points and he tells me off :rolleyes:

How can police detect you have a radar detector though?

IF laser detectors are also restricted we have heard that the GPS systems will remain ok and have a firmware or disabling function will be provided by the manufacturers for the laser so they can still be used.

i wouldn't mind that - as you can probably tell fro my posts above, I think the laser detectors are bit poo!

the RA2 just happens to have one built in - it was not a reason for buying it.

Hmmm i was considering getting a laser detector for myself , atleast until my dad buys this road angel 2... he has nearly 9 points and he tells me off  :rolleyes:

How can police detect you have a radar detector though?

look at the pic above mate - its the black box right in the middle of my windscreen - its hardly inconspicious.

its also blue LED - so any coppers driving past etc would be able to see it.

I suspect a laser detector would have to be even more prominently displayed to stanbd the best chance of picking up a laser scattering.

A cheaper option is to use your eyes and brain and observe the road signs!

30_speed_limit.gif

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks smartubik funny how everybody else can stick to the thread

but you always get one, but ofcause you stick to the speed limit

in your mr2 , you only need to go over it by 5 and your slapped.

<_<

Ive used the RR2 a few times and its good. It sometimes takes ages to find satelites, eg: 30 mins. It also picks up a lot of false alerts in road works and parts of the motorways that "were" road works. This is on a unit updated 30 minutes before leaving for a jounrey. It also MISSED a camera on the motorway, and as I mentioned had been updated 30 mins before hand.

I`ve got a snooper fitted and to be frank. It`s poo. OK on gatsos but over here we got Truvelos and my particular model doesn`t pick them up. :( As MM pointed out the laser function is really haphazard so all in all its more a case of using a bit of common sense and being vigilant. Easily said. Harder done. I`ve managed to keep my license clean for the last ten years (Touch wood) And considering i was a professional driver covering upto 80k a year thats some going.

Vigilance and common sense. Cheaper than a detector and no danger of it becoming illegal.......... (Unless your a copper :lol: )

I think in future ill tell my dad NOT tell me if he saw a speed camera , cause its like omg... i went down that road, was the cop still there, was i speeding , did i go down there when the cop was there!

havent stopped thinking about it <_<

I'm still not convinced that my radar dectector wasn't a waste of money... There are so many false positives that after a while you start to filter them out. With the amount of money it cost me, there's no way I'm ot going to get use out of it!

It's a Snooper S6-R, so when/if a ban comes into force I can disconnect the radar/laser detector unit and leave it in the box...

I think it would be better just to keep your eyes peeled for police cars and cameras - what I should have started doing stratight after I got stopped rather than coughing up almost £300 for some boxes that make my dash look untidy!

Alan

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links