Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Road Angel , Snooper Etc

BLOODUK

I'm still not convinced that my radar dectector wasn't a waste of money... There are so many false positives that after a while you start to filter them out.

I had an early snooper a few years ago - and also thought it was useless.

loads of false positives, from all sorts of things, such as automatic door openers etc.

I also didn't like the notification - it would flash the "band" that was being detected, you had no idea what type of signal it was.

The Road Angel2 is much better.

It gives you a clear visual warning, and a load vocal warning

"Warning - fixed safety camera ahead".

Ok this topic is quite an interesting debate and one that has many views, but if you want to get tips from someone in the trade then the following may interest you.

If you want all round protection to get as much as you can possibly get then I advice the following, forget Road Angel for many reasons, I'll go into that another time.

For all round coverage excluding Laser then you want the Road Pilot seen here You can get the unit with laser warning but just as on every other GPS unit it's too late and the laser gun would have registered you by the time the warning has kicked in.

The Road Pilot doesn't have to be on top of the dash and I have mine just offset infront of the dials where the rev counter is on the Corolla, so small it doesn't block the view of the dial. The Road Pilot does everything the Road Angel does and better. Road Angel does false alarm where Road Pilot doesn't. The Road Angel will also go offline too much and can possibly let you down. The visual display is also better.

For ultimate protection from Laser be it handheld or the type used in the mobile vans is the following bit of kit, which can be found here Now there is issues with regards legality on this equipment, but it is infact illegal to have them on but not illegal to have them fitted and they come with a nice ON/OFF switch that can be placed on the dash to switch them off in the case of being pulled by the officer.

This product has been tested by many people to see if infact it does what it states and with every test has found this products gives the best laser protection then any other on the market today.

If anyone is interested we can source any GPS and laser equipment at prices that just undercut most web based compaines. We have vast experience of most GPS and laser based equipment and product tested almost everything on the market, so if you have any questions, then just ask.

Kev :)

Hmm i just won a Laser detector from Road angel for £30, not a bad price

worthwhile i suppose till i can save up for the proper kit

agree that snooper are a bit pap, theyre no good for owt comin behind u which is how most people will get done. they go off for all sorts, even my stereo sets the thing off! however, it has never missed a beat when it comes to mobile camera vans, it has 3 diff lights for type of laser and after youve passed a few u will be able to tell what is what.

Best bet is a radar jammer but if u ever had to use it then the points would be a LOT cheaper than the fine for havin one of these things.

i read about them tryin to ban laser detectors but they cant, its a violation of broadcast laws, if they messed with this then its like banning a radio in the car.

I have the Snooper SD715iS, which has made me more aware of the presence of cameras and twice on Mobile units. I don't tend to speed in restricted areas, but it's nice having an alert just to let you know you're aproaching a camera just in case your attention is slightly distraced for whatever reason.

More recently I have noticed it hasn't sounded off when I have gone past mobile units. I looked a little further into this and found out the mobile units are now focusing their lasers/radars onto the number plates instead of the windscreen.

Also previously when they were focusing their beams on the windscreens, if the detector sounded a warning due to detecting the laser/radar - it was too late. The only way you would be safe is if the beam was deflected off another car onto yours.

Since I don't really use my Snooper any more (or have no need to use it) - it's up for grabs.

This whole thing about being safe is a crock of s :censor: t anyway. The only way to keep your license points free is not to speed. You can still get done regardless of whatever "protection" you use (other than staying within the speed limits). Nothing is completely foolproof. :rolleyes:

Could always hide it , wouldnt you have to stop everyone to see if they got one?  :o

wouldn't work if it was hidden - needs to be in a position where it can see the satellites.

I wantedto put mine where the ash tray is - so it just popped open when I wanted to use it - but it wouldn't have gotten a signal there.

Does it not come with an external antenna? That way you could put it wherever you like, and put the GPS receiver on the back shelf or elsewhere.

/ontopic

I use a PDA with Tomtom3 for navigation, and combined with POIWarner, it actually works quite well. Lookie here: Poiplace website.

Sync it every few weeks to catch the updates, and you're sorted. Can also use it for POI's like BP, parking garages etc etc. I've set mine so it makes a warning sound 30 secs and 10 secs before the actual camera.

Works for me :thumbsup:

I was just wondering, no one's mentioned the origin b2 which is supposed to the best (money-not-a-factor) unit above roadangel, road pilot & snooper. Is this true?

Has anyone used it. I know price is always a factor.

Kev - I was looking at going for the B2, could you PM what price you can source?

Cheers

Rich K

P.S. If it isn't significantly better for the extra price then I'll reconsider the others

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links