Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Government Have Lost The Plot...

TheNissanMan

I've just read the following article:

Motoring news

Hard shoulder to cry on

Tuesday 13 May 2003

A Government bid to cut congestion 'on the cheap' by scrapping motorway hard shoulders has been slammed by motorists.

A study conducted for the RAC by market researchers NOP reveals that 83 per cent of drivers think that letting cars use the hard shoulder at busy times of the day in order to reduce congestion is a bad idea.

A similar number, 84 per cent, said that it would make the roads less safe.

"The findings will give transport secretary Alistair Darling a huge headache as he is banking on hard shoulder running being introduced in order to meet targets for easing jams on the country's busiest motorways," said an RAC spokesman.

"Despite warnings from motoring organisations and road safety groups he has decided not to wait for the results of a safety trial on the M42 before pressing on with the removal of the hard shoulder on sections of the M5, M6 and M25."

RAC traffic experts fear the proposals will put the safety of motorists who break down in serious jeopardy as confusion about when the hard shoulder can and cannot be used will lead to more collisions

Located on the website:

website :http://www.rac.co.uk/racworld/motoring_news/daily/13052003-2?view=Standard

It seems like such a stupid idea in the first place. I am surprised (actually thinking about it no I'm not) that the governemtn are so desperate to meet there targets are willing to put motorists at risk in such a fashion. OK its an easy way to relieve congestion on paper but considering the increased risk of an accident (how often have you managed to drive downa motorway without seeing something in the hard shoulder) the congestions surely would just get worse....

Absolute madness,hard shoulders are there for broken down vehicles safety and to help the emergency services get to an incident quickly only an idiot would suggest such an idea.Oh i guess that would be new labour through and through.

instead of cutting congestion it'll make it worse! think about, it traffic is now using 4 lanes instead of 3

car breaks down stops on the hard shoulder where they should. all the traffic using the hard shoulder will have to move over, there you go instant bottleneck. look what happens when they cone a lane off for road works. nuff said. the government are idiots!

They aren't really interested in targets they just wanna make themselves look good to the voters and line their own pockets at the same time or am i just a political cynic

I too could be a professional lying w@nker if I was on the sorta money politicians "earn"

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links