Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Gt & Mr2 Gtsport

ghecko

Hi all

Can anyone tell me the difference between why an insurance quote for

A MR2 93 GT or a MR2 93 T-Bar would be £800 cheaper than a 93 MR2 GT Sport

None are turbos and they are all full UK spec ?

Hi Mate,

Had the same problem, mines a GTS and when I mentioned this my quote went up by £150, I explained that the GT was the higher spec leather seats all the toys etc.

The agent never blinked just said oh well that’s unusual but that’s what's on our system brings up so I went :censor: :ffs: WTF and went elsewhere.

Dave

I found the cheapest insurance at elephant.co.uk

It was only another £150 for me to have a turbo over a standard UK car, and its got half leathers, t-bar etc etc ??

ask for a quote on a turbo ? see what happens if you fancy one

I'm on a ban at the mo and my insurance is through the roof as it is because of this thats why I can't go the turbo route just yet, and I have 0 no claims.

never heard of a GT Sport :wacko:

Do you mean GTS?

Bascially the GT has the toys and GTS doesnt.

but theres not many toys. Mine has Recarro Half Leather Sports seats (which are brilliant) electric pop out mirrors and climate control and thats it. lol

GT-Sport - doesn't exist.

G (import Coupe) - FE engine

Coupe - UK, FE engine

G-Limited (import GTi-16) - GE engined

GTi-16 (known as a GT) - UK, GE engined

GT-S (import) GTE engine

GT (import) GTE engine

Imports are either tin top or T-bar, UK cars are Moon roof or T-bar ..

The problem is that the UK car is called a "GT" instead of a "GTi-16" which it is badged as, and this gets confused with the Import "GT".

dont they do a UK tin top? :wacko:

No .. :P

If you take a look at the autotrader site virtually all cars are shown as a GT sport

I spoke to a dealer and he said to me that the GT is known as a GT Sport and that the GTS is actually the turbo import

Anyone agree ?

no a GT-S is a turbo and a GT is a turbo, a GTi-16 is a uk normal car nomatter how you think of things if you add an S it means turbo import hence the increase quoted by the insurance company.

If you take a look at the autotrader site virtually all cars are shown as a GT sport

I spoke to a dealer and he said to me that the GT is known as a GT Sport and that the GTS is actually the turbo import

Anyone agree ?

I smell BS. <_<

Sounds like a good tradesman. pmsl :rolleyes:

Anyone agree ?

I smell BS. <_<

Ho do you explain all the cars on the autotrader site, every single UK car is called a GT Sport, and the turbos are called the GTS ?

If a GT Sport doesn't exist how come all the ads are labelled GT Sport

I think the GT Sport is simply the 16i but people call them the GT Sport ?

Ho do you explain all the cars on the autotrader site, every single UK car is called a GT Sport, and the turbos are called the GTS ?

I don't need to explain it .. "GT Sport" does not, has not and will not exist for a Mk2 MR2.

You could call it the "MR2 GT Sausage" - it still doesn't :

1. Make it right

2. Mean Toyota sold it as a "GT Sausage"

3. Mean the insurace is valid

:rolleyes:

The UK had 2 models the "Coupe" and the "GTi-16" (both NA).

Japan had 4 models, the "G", the "G-Limited", the "GT-S" and the "GT" (first two NA, last two turbo).

Parkers Price guide and Toyota do not have a "GT Sport" (or a "GT Sausage") listed.

I don't need to explain it .. "GT Sport" does not, has not and will not exist for a Mk2 MR2.

You could call it the "MR2 GT Sausage" - it still doesn't :

1. Make it right

2. Mean Toyota sold it as a "GT Sausage"

3. Mean the insurace is valid

:rolleyes:

The UK had 2 models the "Coupe" and the "GTi-16" (both NA).

Japan had 4 models, the "G", the "G-Limited", the "GT-S" and the "GT" (first two NA, last two turbo).

Parkers Price guide and Toyota do not have a "GT Sport" (or a "GT Sausage") listed.

So what would you call the car when you get it insured if its advertised as a GT Sport.

I know you dont have to explain it but if anyone else cares to share a view on why all advertised cars are called a GT Sport feel free to help out...

I'm not disputing the fact it doesn't exist I'm wondering why so many people and garages advertise them as the GT Sport.

PS what does NA mean ?

You'll need to look at the car and find out what it is. If it's UK, with a GE engine .. it'll be a "GTi-16", but most insurance companies will class it a GT (even heard of "GT coupe").

If you get a GT .. make sure you specify UK/Import .. as the UK is NA (cheaper) and the import is Turbo (more expensive).

NA- Normally/Naturally Asperated .. standard engine, no Turbo or SuperCharger.

You are in Berkshire, best bet is to get one of us locals to have a look with ya and then we know the problems and can explain things in person ..

Good luck :D

Looks like a rev2 .. with the front lip (rev one was smaller).

Rims look rev2 as well.

Nicely priced too :)

Does look like a Rev 2, though late "93 was when they changed to the Rev 3

Anyone agree ?

I smell BS. <_<

I've got a very nice hardback book showing the history of the MR2 right up to present day. and there are a stupid amount versions of the MR2.

What Bibbs has said is correct. :yes:

Autotrader has pre-selected type. When selling your car you enter only basic information into the system and it tells you what car it is and gives you very little option to alter the wording. Some numpty sitting on the other side has obviously types in something he knows F.A about :rolleyes:

Bibb's post above is all there is to know about the types of UK/import MKII's :thumbsup:

I've got a very nice hardback book showing the history of the MR2 right up to present day. and there are a stupid amount versions of the MR2.

What Bibbs has said is correct. :yes:

Autotrader has pre-selected type. When selling your car you enter only basic information into the system and it tells you what car it is and gives you very little option to alter the wording. Some numpty sitting on the other side has obviously types in something he knows F.A about :rolleyes:

Bibb's post above is all there is to know about the types of UK/import MKII's :thumbsup:

Got the same book a while back (still not read it proper).

Glad people are not finding me overly sarcastic :D :lol:

I thought the whole "GT SPORT" confusion came from the V5 - most will have the MR2 listed as "MR2 GT SPORT COUPE" or something like that. There's no such thing as a "GT SPORT" (on Autotrader it'll just mean a UK N/A GTi-16).

Does look like a Rev 2, though late "93 was when they changed to the Rev 3

October 1993 if that helps any :)

Bascially the GT has the toys and GTS doesnt.

However virtually EVER thing the GT can have the GT-S can have as an "option" too so don't get TOO hung up on the GT vs GT-S thing (talking j-spec imports that is) :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links