Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Snooper Radar Detector

97paseo

Anyone got a radar detector? Was just wondering if they are any good as I've seen the S1(?) for under £100. Anyone know if the cheap ones are any good?

By the way I don't want it so I can drive like a muppet! :rolleyes:

Could of done with one today....... didnt get caught but the 'old bill' thought they would have a laugh and put 5 cameras on a 12 mile strech of road thats know to be a bit of a 'test road'..... just think, how bad would it feel to loose your lisence in 12 miles? and also for thoes people that speed up after a camera... ouch! :D. lets just say they should of earned they Mc'y D's today!

Dan.

Ouch :wacko: ! Thats why i'm sort of interested, I don't drive like a fool, in fact I think i'm the only person who slows down for speed cameras on motorways :D !! But you just know the one time you are driving a bit quick it'll happen... :rolleyes:

By the way I like your montage at the end of your posts :)

thankyou, couldnt let rhains rule the site!!!!! lol :P

Dan

I have a Snooper S5-R and its saved my licence on more than one occasion - I can tell you.... :blink:

thankyou, couldnt let rhains rule the site!!!!! lol :P

Dan

Nope your's looks superb :)

Somewhere around my folks place which is currently a building site a Snooper 815si (I think, it's the little expensive one) and it'saved my bacon on a number of occasions....

Superb little gadgets...

Hmm bacon, bit of a pun?!! :lol:

No-one's used the cheapo S1 (£100) jobbie then?

the best one are either the road angel or the geodessy both expensive but use gps tho let u know where the cameras are. they are completely legal to use unlike some radar detectors

both of these are very accurate. iknow someone who had one and it told him there was a camera on a stetch of road two weeks b4 it was put up!

also another point snooper etc are only of use against mobile cameras, boys in blue hiding behind signs and in farmers gates, if you are in traffic if its just you then the only signal it'll pick up is the one the copper has fired at you, too late by then

I get ya, thanks for the info. I guessed there was a reason why the Snooper one's were that bit cheaper, mind you got to be better than nothing. <_<

Got the snooper S5, legal to use doe`s its job had no problems with it. Fits on the front screen Cost around £300 but worth it. Its saved my rear "number plate that is" many times.

completely legal to use unlike some radar detectors

also another point snooper etc are only of use against mobile cameras, boys in blue hiding behind signs and in farmers gates....

All radar detectors are legal as long as they only 'recieve' the signal, it is only when they start playing witht the return of the police frequencies that they become illegal.

As for only being of use against mobile camera's I would have to disagree again, mine saved me on a number of occasions from little men sitting on the side of the road with laser guns, gatso's the works.....

I used to cover at least 8k a month all over the country and my snooper was invaluable...

The 100 one will only detect about 1 of the 9 different types of camera there is now.

If you want to detect them all, get the Road Pilot, it has a 4" touch screen display and detects all currently used speed camera's - uses gps to detect your speed and location accuratly, uses a database of known camaeras and cross checks this against its own readings or radar scatter. It will tell you what side of the orad the camera is shooting, and also the current speed limit on the road you are driving. Use it in conjection with a laser defuser that will block the coppers in the vans and the hedges - remember though with these if you get zapped, slow down to the limit and switch it off so the copper can get a reading of you doing the correct speed - else they will pull you over and nick you anyway for using the defuser.

Steve.

now Laser Diffuser's are definately illegal as it changes the way in which the signal from the camera is being used/carried. The reason Radar Detectors were made legal is that they do not in anyway interfere or change that a Radio/Laser signal is used, it only allows the operator to know that the signal is present....

Hence turning it off once your down to correct speed :P

Anyway - since when did you ever abide by road traffic laws :ph34r: I heard about your convoy to gaydon :P

Steve.

Hence turning it off once your down to correct speed :P

Anyway - since when did you ever abide by road traffic laws :ph34r: I heard about your convoy to gaydon :P

Steve.

What happened on the cruise down to Gaydon, as far as I can remember all of us stayed well within the legal road limits and had a nice liesurely drive to the event, as I was in front I can't recall anyone overtaking and blasting off down the motorway !

LOL - Lighten up Ryan.... besides, the motorway guidlines state 70mph not 100 - 110 :D

Steve.

I've just ordered a second hand radar/laser detector from eBay. I'll ley you all know if it is effective. Obviously it will not work on the new average speed cameras.

Snooper SD 815 is. Second hand £82 on eBay. RRP £200. This unit is apparently prone to false positive readings, so chirps away merrily. It does (by report) give adequate warning of fixed gatsos and sneaky fuzz behind cars.

As I said, I'll let you know when it arrives. I will, within the next few weeks have the chance to test it in London, M4, Somerset and Wales.

Thanks for the M4 camera post, you probably saved my bacon as I'm going that way for some fast driving in Wales as soon as my irksome exams are over.

Thanks, Nick

Have just got my snooper 815 throudg the post. I find it doesn't pick up gatsos until the last second or once you're going through them. I'll have to test it outside of london though.

Not yet had the chance to test it against any hairdryers yet :D

Nick

Stop press...

If I turn the 'city' mode off the warning of gatsos is adequate, ten seconds or so at 30mph. This means many false alerts in london but should clear up when I get back to the countryside.

No hairdryers yet though.

Check out your local police website for speed camer and mobile gatso locations. www.police.uk.

nick

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links