Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Urget Help Needed

CraigT

Okay my girlfriend is about to sell her Clio and by a 1.8 MG ZR (no comments please) . The problem is that most of the insurance companies are requesting the car be fitted with a tracker!! A flaming tracker on a car that is essentially a Rover 25 with a body kit????!!!!!! When they called it a sportscar I nearly fell over.

She has found a few that dont require them but in those cases the insurance goes up to silly prices.

Ive priced around and the cheapest I can find is the RAC at a sexy £449 fitted. However I have been told that there are non sattalite versions which may be a lot cheaper. Is this true??

To be honest Im not spending £449 on a car tracker for a frigging Rover, Id rather forget the car and she gets something else. Please help coz shes gonna be really upset if I tell her we are gonna have to forget it.

HHEELLPP!

i know you cant get these gizmo things which is basically a mobile phone with loads of sensors, and it rings you with options such as where it is, if to want to imbolise it, etc...

Dont think its actually classed as a tracker though

Hello the cheapest one on the market is the RAC tracker the other tracking devices that text your mobile and the types that you connect to your own server/pc are not insurance approved. Have you thought about asking mg/rover if they have there own insurance company they might be able to help?

Non GPS "trackers" (Tracker isa brand name, but many systems do tracking but are not "tracker") are totally pants. You can't pinpoint the vehicle accurately.

Have you tried looking at other insurance comanies??? There is a new wave of location devices hitting the market as we speak, -Thatcham Cat5. these are the daddies :D, as soon as thatcham pull their fingers out, and get on with a final spec/approving units my comapny will have one for sale.. I'll see if I can sort out a Goldies discount scheme ;) :thumbsup:

AS soon as Cat5 is up and running I'll be betting the insurance companies will suddely start saying the old system (Q rated) are no good!

Beaurocratic :censor: 's :lol:

Well Ive found a Q rated one (Meta) which I can get for £550 fitted.

Basically this one takes a mobile phone style sim card which you can put credit onto. So no yearly subscriptions of £120 for sattallite coverage.

If Im honest I couldnt give a toss about the car being tracked. if it was ever nicked and not found then so be it. The insurance company could buy me a new one. I just need to get it fitted so that we can have a reasonable insurance on the car.

Its hard to believe that they require this on a car woth £6,995. Each day companies find new ways to screw more money out of you :censor:

I would check with the insurance company before you buy anything to see what is actually required seeing as there may be different ‘Trackers’.

If she intends keeping the car for any considerable time then maybe it’s worth the investment.

One thing I would be buying is what Jaxx has/had...

1043320069-disklok%20yell3.jpg

At least this could maybe prevent a theft

On another note anyone that says there isa "satelite fee" is talking from their bottom :P

The entire GPS system is payed for by american tax payers!!! Its totally free to use!!!!

Asking for a Tracking system for a Clio is outrageous - just a sign that they don't want to insure you. Perhaps it says more about your home postcode (high risk?) than anyone's driving.

I've got Tracker fitted to my M5 and it is pretty good. Last year I hit a kerb after an unexpected snowstorm and cracked an alloy. On the way home on a recovery truck, Tracker rung me:

"Do you know where your car is"

"Yes, six feet behind me on a recovery truck"

"Oh that's OK, we can see it moving but the ignition isn't on" :huh:

There are quite a few Scooby owners on Scoobynet who have been stung with the RAC Trackstar system not working and/or bad service.

"Tracker" is only highly rated one. Nicola's Scoob has a Tracker with the full 24hr all singing all dancing option pack.

I can't believe any ins co will not insure an MG without one fitted. Are you guys in a well dodgy area or something? I also can't see why an MG is so "desireable" to theives??? :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links