Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Abs Problem!

jaxx

just noticed the ABS light doesnt come on when i start my car...

in a moment of dillusion i had to check it actually had it! theres a relay in the ABS position in the box so yes! and im sure ive seen it before!

now then the ABS as ive found seems to have stopped workin :eek: the brakes still seem fine on their own but it doesnt cut in

ive got my parts CD rom and gonna have a look into that. says something about various tests on the wiring loom

did a quick dash check and the bulbs ok???

any thoughts or pointers? or areas im best to check?

ok, :unsure: just fuse then. wouldnt be too worried as it lights when theres a problem, not go off.

didnt get chance to look today! im stumped on it though? will look sunday

got a very important arrangement* tomorrow

*beer festival

would anyone be so kind to post a pic of under the black plastics of their ABS system and just label which box is the ABS ECU??

im in a bit of a tizz! :lol:

thanks

lol

well i dont really like ABS to be honest! just curious why its acting the gimp!

only good thing is it has wheel speed sensors which makes a future job a tad easier!

yeah they do, its packed up!

but the brakes work fine.....

it stopped working after i got it back on the road

you will need the abs light to work for the mot, if its fitted its meant to work as the abs system works with high pressure and as its not working it creates more work for the system and may cause future damage. :eek: who knows.????????

have you checked the big 60 or 40 amp fuse ????

lol

well i dont really like ABS to be honest! just curious why its acting the gimp!

only good thing is it has wheel speed sensors which makes a future job a tad easier!

Hmm thats a difficult one to think off. ;)

Does it contain the words "Control" and "Launch" by any chance :thumbsup:

detective stu breaks another case :lol:

anyway its sussed! looks like i chucked something in the front a little too hard which hit the ABS ECU and knocked it, plugs were a bit dicky so gave them a wiggle and its come back online!

now ive got that horrid juddery brakes again! :lol:

mite strip it off one day! when another mod comes.... (guess that one!)

I remember reading about similar ABS problems on the IMOC-Yahoo site a couple of years ago. Might be worth checking there. Or possibly in the Tech section on the DC??? :unsure:

It not an uncommon problem from what I seem to remember.

The only thing I can't remember is how to fix it :ph34r::lol:

EDIT:

Just found this:

BGB - ABS Troubleshooter

Edited by System~G

jaxx where the hell is the ecu?

mine is playing up (has been for nearly a year - your post inspired me lol) so i took all the plastic off etc. hoping that mine will mend as easily as yours / however,

looking at my bgb manual it shows the ecu as on the left wing area however i couldnt find it. i played with the abs actuator (on the drivers side too) and unclipped - reclipped all those connectors to no avail.

looking back at my bgb manual and realising it is american for left hand drives it shows the actuator on the right with ecu on the left- so logically should i be looking at the right hand side now for the ecu?

only just realised this and now its dark, will look tomorrow, save me the hassle fella - where is it :unsure::thumbsup:

lol

thats right mate that confused me aswell

its on the left (looking at front of car - drivers side) under the plastic cover things, little black box with about 4 plugs stuck in it

now this is just annoying me :censor:

there's no ecu fella, nowt there?

give us a good clue please matey cos im wanting to go out and hurt people now :ffs: :) im looking at the front of the car facing the steering wheel and looking at all the pipework and connectors coming off the abs actuator.

behind that on the bulkhead is the master cylinder and to the right of it the brakefluid pots etc. nowt else?

when i disconnect the service connector on the abs actuator and bridge terminals e1 and tc on the diagnostic box (as per the workshop manual) not only do i not get any error codes (not even a steady all is working fine flash) from the abs display on the dash i get a constant flashing from the power steering light instead! (the manual says this shows the power steering is normal - thank god) but doesnt explain why my abs doesnt show anything?

could someone have nicked my abs ecu? would explain why there is a problem. :unsure:

odd? can you get a shout of under the bonnet?

ill point it out

oh and stu......

not quite but sort of on the right lines!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links